LL VS LPL

26 replies to this topic

Poll: LL VS LPL (100 member(s) have cast votes)

LL VS LPL

1. large laser (73 votes [73.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.00%

2. large pulse laser (27 votes [27.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Dammit, why they made pulse lasers the least viable energy weapons of all? I know they generate slightly more heat than ordinary lasers, but made them produce even more heat than it should be in initial heat/damage ratio like 11/10 for LPLs, it might frustrate players that using pulse lasers.

Heat/damage ratio of pulse lasers should be like this initailly:

LPL: 11/10 (or it could be 10/10)
MPL: 4/6
SPL: 2/3

Ordinary laser:

LL: 9/9
ML: 3/5
SL: 1/3

Funny that the MLs generate even more heat than it supposed to be.

If pulse lasers really generate much more heat than it supposed to be, then they ought to nerf the pulse lasers' heat generation to a bit less than how it is now. Don't say I'm biased to pulse lasers, but it really concern me that they would receive the least or a negative popularity not only in present, but also in the future when some mechs in the future were equipped with pulse lasers as their default weapon loadouts *cough* Cataphract CTF-3L and Flea FLE-17*cough*.

Edited by Draken X, 06 November 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#22 impaledface

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

With the most recent pulse laser nerf I have gone from using medium pulse laser and medium laser combo to large lasers or mediums. The medium pulse lasers are just producing too much heat for them to be useful now. The pulses felt very useful for taking down those pesky scouts, but sadly now the pulses just feel unviable to me now. I also love the way the pulse lasers sound and look, which was another reason why i was running them on my 4sp, and raven.

#23 Cataphract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

I was starting to be an avid user of LPL until the bug report on them only producing 75% of the intended heat. I barely managed to make them useable on prepatch DHS on a K2, but now, no. My K2 lost 4 HS worth of dissipation from the patch and now the LPL produces 25% more heat than what we got use to. I wont use LPL at all unless its on a heavy brawler that wont benefit from normal LL or boating all ML and only if they are the only beam weapon on my mech which at this point might be never. I thought the LPL was functioning admirably pre patch and its a bummer we got use to a weapon that wasn't functioning correctly. Now though I wouldn't probably use a LPL over a LL at all let alone a normal PPC in comparison.

#24 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

View Postimpaledface, on 06 November 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

With the most recent pulse laser nerf I have gone from using medium pulse laser and medium laser combo to large lasers or mediums. The medium pulse lasers are just producing too much heat for them to be useful now. The pulses felt very useful for taking down those pesky scouts, but sadly now the pulses just feel unviable to me now. I also love the way the pulse lasers sound and look, which was another reason why i was running them on my 4sp, and raven.

That's what really concerns me. The devs might have failed to recognize the laser weapons are a vital essence in the MechWarrior universe. Why nerfed pulse lasers, small and medium lasers but buffed up the LRMs? LRMs were powerful enough before this patch, while laser weapons were still viable to use. I know they might be 'testing' the DHS heat dissipation, but that doesn't really fit well this time because the laser weapons produced too much heat than it initially were. Should buff up the DHS a little bit like from 1.4 to 1.7, otherwise nerf the laser weapons heat generation value. I don't know why they tune the DHS initial of 2.0 to 1.4.

Well, I gonna bet many of the existing mechs are running hot this time.

PS: Yeah, LPLs used to be viable before the recent patch.

Edited by Draken X, 07 November 2012 - 02:19 AM.

#25 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

LPs for range
MPLs for upclose and personal damage

At least pre-patch. Not sure how it's now.

#26 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

A hunch is not heavy enough to benefit from large pulse.

2 medium lasers gets reasonably close to a large pulse on range and damage output. I'd take medium lasers or medium pulses.

Edited by Flapdrol, 07 November 2012 - 04:41 AM.

#27 Shinzok

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts
  • LocationRaamsdonksveer, The Netherlands.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

I prefer to run my Atlas (founders with DUAL LPL + Guass)

And rest = heatsinks. Only way you will be able to keep it cool on caustic Valley (Vulkano map)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users