Endo-Steel Vs Ferro-Fibrous

5 replies to this topic

#1 Prandur Everdark

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

Hi all,

I'm fairly new and have been reading about all the theorycraft behind mwo. However, I've found very little about the FF armor and ES structure upgrades.

I understand that both cost a hefty amount of c-bills, require slots (14 each I think) and save weight. But what about repair costs - does it cost more to repair a mech with FF or ES? And which of these upgrades saves more weight? Is there some consensus on which is better? Is it possible to fit an XL engine, ES and FF all into one mech?

#2 Mithos

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

Didn't had a chance to test on different mech, but for 65t cata Endo saves more weight and have close to zero effect on repair bills. FF saves less, and cost 10-15k more than standart armor to repair.

Yes, it is possible to fit an XL engine, ES and FF all into one mech, and still have some room for weapons, ammo and heatsinks. Not very much, though. Try to avoid FF.

Edited by Mithos, 06 November 2012 - 04:47 AM.

#3 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

Sometimes it is a "6 of one, half a dozen of the other" type approach.

Most people are pickign Endo-Steel due to the weight savings and not really affecting your repair costs as much as FF.

I know a lot of the guys on MechSpecs.com have spoken about it. Instead of treating it as "one or the other" they treat it as a graduated step program. If you need weight saved then use Endo-Steel. If you still need MORE weight saved (and have the room) then throw in some Ferro Fiberous armor.

Using both though uses up a LOT of critical slots (28). On mechs with large weapons, that take up a lot of room, this simply isn't possible.

#4 Regina Redshift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 281 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

The old Table Top adage is "Endo first." You get a set amount of tons back for equipping Endo Steel which is based on your 'mechs tonnage. Ferro is based on your armor value which varies wildly from 'mech to 'mech. Each takes up 14 crit slots, so Endo generally gives you better ton/crit savings. Sadly, there's no way to preview the new tonnage in the Upgrade lab.

Also, Ferro applies to your armor, and your armor is the first thing stripped off your 'mech. Choosing Endo over Ferro protects your wallet if you're simply legged or cored, but not if you're picked apart.

#5 Prandur Everdark

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Thanks alot for the helpful info. If I may, I have one more question... just bought the HBK-4SP and I'm a bit baffled about repairs. I've read that if I don't repair armor or reload ammo, both will automatically be restocked to 75%. But what about repairing items? If I understand correctly, items include all the components loaded on my mech... so if I don't repair items, then my engine/weapons etc. will be easier to destroy after my armor has been stripped off? What's the "free" restored percentage of item HP, if I don't repair them?

#6 Jedi Outcast

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

If you don't have a ton of extra c-bills for repairs, avoid Ferro-fibrous, it takes a fair percentage of your winnings for repairs.

Endo-steel is very nice and I recommend it (atm it adds a trivial amount to repairs).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users