Gauss Vs. Ppc

36 replies to this topic

#1 Remnant John

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania USA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

i bought a K2 variant cat a couple of days ago, i have endo steel, standard armor, and a **** ton of heat sinks.

i am trying to debate between the much heavier but more punch-packing Gauss rifles,
or to stick with my maintainable, mid-range powered PPCs (two of them)

any have any tips on which i should choose?

Thanks ahead of time :(

#2 MasterofBlasters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 477 posts
  • LocationYou'd like to know that wouldn't you?

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Gauss is infinitely better.

#3 Remnant John

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

how much heat do they consume in MWO?

#4 Necron

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

2 Gauss = average alpha of 30, pinpoint damage, no heat issues, long,medium,short range (660m best, up to 2000m)
2 PPC = below average alpha of 20, pinpoint like damage, heat issues, longer, medium, no short range (540m best, up to 1080, toothpicks below 90m)

Gauss= 15 dmg, 1 Heat, 6 Slots, 15 tons
PPC= 10 dmg, 9 Heat, 3 Slots, 7 tons

Choice? Gauss, of course

Edited by Necron, 06 November 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#5 Remnant John

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

thanks for the tips

#6 KosherHamSammich

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAwaiting a Jump Ship to Sheridan

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Go quad large lasers. Lighter than the PPC's, less heat, greater alpha strike than the Gauss and no ammo issues.

It is a completely different style of playing the mech depending on your weapon load.

#7 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Unfortunately, until the heat issues are resolved the gauss will always be the better option.

#8 KosherHamSammich

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAwaiting a Jump Ship to Sheridan

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 06 November 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

Unfortunately, until the heat issues are resolved the gauss will always be the better option.

I have no problem with heat management on my LL K2 with DHS and use less than 7 external HS so my heat dissipation will actually be greater post patch.

#9 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

But you needed DHS to balance a large laser build, so heat implementation is still a problem. Well, by "problem" I mean "not like I'm used to". It's become fairly clear to me that I need to think of this less as a mech simulator, and more as a mech-based FPS.

There are ways to manage your heat, but the first rule for us old TT players is that we need to not think like TT. I was used to being able to take a Catapult and walk and fire all of it's lasers without any heat issue, and that just isn't the case. I know it's a matter of the turning the "10 second turn" into real time, and it's taken some getting used to. Simple fact is that things that worked fine in the old TT system just don't work any more.

#10 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Gausscat is a lame choise IMO. Everybody does it........Whats the use of getting a nicely build mech with a nice setup of weapons when some guy comes in with a K2, spamming its gaussrifles and always winning..

not to mention the incredibly easy ability to headshot every mech

Here is my K2 build
Dual AC10 with 7 ton of ammo
4 small pulse lazers
Standard engine 200

Dual AC10 is pretty darn effective, yet not overpowerd. And you'll earn more because of the much lower ammo costs.

Or another great build, is 2 large lazers and 2 AC/2 or even AC/5. Its perfectly possible, pretty versatile, alot of fun, cheap in repair costs and nobody will complain about your setup

Edited by theta123, 06 November 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#11 War Steiner

• PipPipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 95 posts
  • LocationTerceira, Azores, Portugal

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Sorry...don't mean to be a dangling member between a couple of nutz but...who cares what anyone complains about or what the other guy is wearing? This is about building and piloting the best mechs for the current system. If that means an OP Jenner or Raven or Gauss Kat, then that is what peopel SHOULD use.

It also means that they are the first targeted. The only thin I would change if I ran PGI would be to look at what was most popular...and make it more expensive.

#12 Jacob Martinez

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Well, Gauss is all round better than PPC since PPC have limited close range.

still PPC have an unlimited amount of ammo while gauss need adidional tonnage for ammo, also PPC deals low amount of Heat to target [or its just me]

Anyway best choice is Gauss

#13 SL the Pyro

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts
  • LocationI snuck into your room as you read this sentence.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Deciding between Gauss or PPCs? I've seen people use both Gauss and PPCs. It's terrifying to have shot at you.

...But if I had to choose between the two? I would also say Gauss, if only just because they don't drive up the heat gauge like mad.

View Posttheta123, on 06 November 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Dual AC10 is pretty darn effective, yet not overpowerd. And you'll earn more because of the much lower ammo costs.

This made me think: has anyone had the balls to try a dual AC/20 build?

Edited by SL the Pyro, 06 November 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#14 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostSL the Pyro, on 06 November 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

Unfortunately, yes. I've seen a few of Cat-K2 equipped with dual AC/20's, and it's as OP as Gauss Cat. Right now, it seems "obsolete" as many favor Gauss because of better range or their likings of being a cheesy sniper.

But the downside of Gauss, is not only require a tons of ammo, but it's also bulky and weighs 15 ton. Dare to sacrifice everything to equip a Gauss, well good luck. *Cause you're actually making your mech a Dodo in some situations*

However, if people complains about Gauss Cats and Streak Cats, then the other bring out "LRM's are so freaking OP" as their petty excuses to favor these two particular cheesy builds. Oh lovely... keep it up and set a house on fire, yeah? :rolleyes:

No offense, but really, I'm getting sick of Gauss Cats and Streak Cats and even LRM boats with no self-defense weapons equipped (except Cat-A1). This represents the players' incompetence in a proper firefight. As matter as fact, these 'cheesy' builds are for those who always care about winning and hates to lose.

PS: ER PPC is also viable as it has no minimum range, but the main issue is its absurdly-high heat generation. Though PPC has its own pros, weighs 7 tons, takes 3 slots, heat generation is maybe high but still usable, and good range even though not as good as Gauss. And yes, PPC is ill-suited for brawling as it has a minimum range of 90m.

Edited by Draken X, 06 November 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#15 Dewil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

My Gauss-Cat have 2 Gauss and 7 tons of ammo for a total weight of 37 tons.

I've been tempted to try out a K2 with 4 PPC and DHS (4 PPC + 8 DHS = 36 tons.). Then add the 10DHS in the engine.

8(+10)*0,14=2,016 heat/second dissipated. 4*9=36 heat/alfa and a cooldown of 3 seconds. Not really viable.

But 3PPC + 15DHS? (36 tons)

15(+10)*1,4=3,5 heat/second dissipated for 3*9=27 heat generated. Will run hot if fired continiously, but then you can still fire every 8 seconds. This could work and maybe even match a dual gauss! You just need to be able to fit 15 DHS!

Edited by Dewil, 06 November 2012 - 08:56 PM.

#16 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

If you use the infamous 2x Gauss loadout then you're essentially marking yourself a a-hole.

View PostDewil, on 06 November 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

But 3PPC + 15DHS? (36 tons)

15(+10)*1,4=3,5 heat/second dissipated for 3*9=27 heat generated. Will run hot if fired continiously, but then you can still fire every 8 seconds. This could work and maybe even match a dual gauss! You just need to be able to fit 15 DHS!

Not in a thousand years can you find a 'Mech with 45 crit spaces. Oh, and Gauss has no minimum range (right now).

#17 Juvenal

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

Deciding between Gauss or PPCs? I've seen people use both Gauss and PPCs. It's terrifying to have shot at you.

...But if I had to choose between the two? I would also say Gauss, if only just because they don't drive up the heat gauge like mad.

Rule of thumb: No matter how balls-out insane the build, if it is possible then someone has tried it. And yes, the "Whackapult" has been tried by lots of people, myself included. A nasty heat problem, comparatively short range (270m optimum) and a painful ammo situation (~6 rounds per ton?!) means most of them have since been refitted to Gausspults.

#18 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Gauss + PPC is pretty good choice for standard motor K2 who just can't fit dual gauss.

You got the heat capability, why not use it for something?

#19 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

Don't.

#20 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Although to be honest, gauss has always been a better alternative to the PPC, as long as you had the weight to hold it. It shoots further, does more damage and makes less heat. And with the current heat situation what it is, that only makes things worse, as the weight savings of the PPC are negated by all the additional heat sinks you need to keep it effective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users