Hat In Hand

67 replies to this topic

#21 Wraith05

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

I run an atlas K standard 300 twin AMS with 3 tons of ammo. Prior to artimes I stuck to cover, used hills buildings etc... got hit once in a while but not usually taking a huge hit. I generally survived till the end of a match.

Now I used the same strategies 3 matches in a row. And I died in 1-2 salvos of LRMs. That was while using cover also.

#22 Jeff505

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Memory, the most effective counter to art. lrm's is cover. cover cover cover. Successful use of cover will render even the best lrm boats useless.

#23 Wraith05

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostJeff505, on 06 November 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

Memory, the most effective counter to art. lrm's is cover. cover cover cover. Successful use of cover will render even the best lrm boats useless.

Unless it's using Artemis IV

#24 Lootee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Shoot them in the head.

They use expensive ammo.

They explode.

They are hard to hit with up close.

Use cover.

Don't stand still.

Launchers + Artemis weigh a lot.

L2P and deal with it. You argued for the gauss rifle with the same arguments, now reap the LRM swarm to your head. Personally I'm enjoying it, the CN9-D runs at 97kph so it's very hard to hit at long range and blows the heads off gauss catapults at 1000m without even having to aim.

Edited by PanchoTortilla, 06 November 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#25 Thirdrail

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Private
  • Private
  • 169 posts
  • LocationI'm just wandering around.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

It's really a combination of two things going on.

The new LRMs are crazy powerful, but they need scouts to really make it work. Since knockdown is out, scouts are twice as overpowered as even these new missiles (and it's not just Artemis, by the way, I don't run Artemis on my love cat and my LRM20s are doing the same crazy new arc), which means you've got lagshielded super Jenners running around painting targets. They take far longer to kill than the new missiles take to kill you, generally speaking.

My advice for you people running organized lances is to keep a streak kitty in the mix until this sorts out. They're the most reliable way to kill the lights at the moment. No more ignoring scouts, even for a second.

You know, when I saw the new LRMs, and how they now function like an orbital melta-gun, all I could think was, "Wow. ECM must really be amazing." It's only a couple of weeks. Someday we'll all look back on this micro-era and laugh.

#26 Memory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNYC, NY

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostWraith05, on 06 November 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

Unless it's using Artemis IV

This jeff. Didn't you read? Cover is useless against Artemis. You have run with me a thousand times you know I'm a master of cover and im here to tell you it counts for nothing against this stuff. I was there. I was cockpitted number missiles many times.

#27 Memory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNYC, NY

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostPanchoTortilla, on 06 November 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

Shoot them in the head.

They use expensive ammo.

They explode.

They are hard to hit with up close.

Use cover.

Don't stand still.

Launchers + Artemis weigh a lot.

L2P and deal with it. You argued for the gauss rifle with the same arguments, now reap the LRM swarm to your head. Personally I'm enjoying it, the CN9-D runs at 97kph so it's very hard to hit at long range and blows the heads off gauss catapults at 1000m without even having to aim.

If you had read my entire post you would know that I do Rather well know how ""2P" and that I am always in search of new ways "2P" which is why i created this thread to get everybody to put their heads together find a way to counter this new over-powered game element. If you feel you know how to defeat it I invite you to submit a video of you defeating an organized Artemis LRM team.

However, if you have no such video, Maybe it is you that should "L2P"

#28 Lootee

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Don't need to L2P. Just need to exploit an obviously broken weapon.

Can't let the gauss advocates have all the fun.

Too bad energy hasn't gotten an EZ mode too.

Edited by PanchoTortilla, 06 November 2012 - 09:05 PM.

#29 Memory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNYC, NY

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostThirdrail, on 06 November 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

It's really a combination of two things going on.

The new LRMs are crazy powerful, but they need scouts to really make it work. Since knockdown is out, scouts are twice as overpowered as even these new missiles (and it's not just Artemis, by the way, I don't run Artemis on my love cat and my LRM20s are doing the same crazy new arc), which means you've got lagshielded super Jenners running around painting targets. They take far longer to kill than the new missiles take to kill you, generally speaking.

My advice for you people running organized lances is to keep a streak kitty in the mix until this sorts out. They're the most reliable way to kill the lights at the moment. No more ignoring scouts, even for a second.

You know, when I saw the new LRMs, and how they now function like an orbital melta-gun, all I could think was, "Wow. ECM must really be amazing." It's only a couple of weeks. Someday we'll all look back on this micro-era and laugh.

I'm excited for ECM as well, and have been for a long time, but I still want to focus on finding a way to cope with this now so that I don't end up stepping away from the game waiting for ECM to come out.

#30 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Memory: tall vertical rocks. Those big rocks in the back of Forrest Gump Colostomy out in the water that are about 5 times taller than a mech. Hug for good effect and sidestep back into cover. It invites a rush, so everyone has to be piled behind it.

#31 Memory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNYC, NY

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostPanchoTortilla, on 06 November 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Don't need to L2P. Just need to exploit an obviously broken weapon.

Can't let the gauss advocates have all the fun.

Too bad energy hasn't gotten an EZ mode too.

As I've already said in this thread I am here to find a way to counter the obviously broken exploit and i dont blame the players at all.

View PostInsidious Johnson, on 06 November 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

Memory: tall vertical rocks. Those big rocks in the back of Forrest Gump Colostomy out in the water that are about 5 times taller than a mech. Hug for good effect and sidestep back into cover. It invites a rush, so everyone has to be piled behind it.

Tried this and did not have much success, do you have video of it working perhaps? That way I can get a more specific idea of the positions you were using.

When I tried the locations you mentioned my teammates in the backfield rwported seeing the missiles actually going OVER thos rocks before shooting down on me.

Edited by Memory, 06 November 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#32 M a y h e m

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationGMT -8:00 - Vancouver B.C.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

View PostMemory, on 06 November 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

When I tried the locations you mentioned my teammates in the backfield rwported seeing the missiles actually going OVER thos rocks before shooting down on me.

I outfitted my Atlas tonight with Artemis, and watching some of the flight paths reminded me of playing Etch A Sketch as a kid. I took out a healthy Atlas in four volleys.

AV

#33 Memory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNYC, NY

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostAlaric VISIGOTH, on 06 November 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

I outfitted my Atlas tonight with Artemis, and watching some of the flight paths reminded me of playing Etch A Sketch as a kid. I took out a healthy Atlas in four volleys.

AV

Anything, to your mind that Atlas could have actually done to avoid death once you locked him?

#34 Lootee

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

View PostMemory, on 06 November 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Anything, to your mind that Atlas could have actually done to avoid death once you locked him?

Shoot the launching mech in the head. It's easy after all, right? That's what all the gauss rifle fanboys said to do to counter their OP FOTM build.

Edited by PanchoTortilla, 06 November 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#35 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

A tongue in cheek counter to the Artemis would be to fight in caves. Should work more than 50% of maps - but then again leaves your base open for capping...

#36 Memory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNYC, NY

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostPanchoTortilla, on 06 November 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

Shoot the launching mech in the head. It's easy after all, right? That's what all the gauss rifle fanboys said to do to counter their OP fotm build.

Please submit video of you cockpitting an Atlas with any weapon other than LRM.

Edit: at more than 500m

View PostEboli, on 06 November 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

A tongue in cheek counter to the Artemis would be to fight in caves. Should work more than 50% of maps - but then again leaves your base open for capping...

Also there are no caves on 2/5 maps.

Edited by Memory, 06 November 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#37 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Discussing strategies in Beta is like trying to build sand castles at low tide. They are great to imagine but they never last.

Developer feedback will fix the problem, I am thinking we should focus on that. But that is my opinion.

#38 Lootee

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

View PostMemory, on 06 November 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

Please submit video of you cockpitting an Atlas with any weapon other than LRM.

Edit: at more than 500m

That sounds pretty difficult, guess you'll just have to take the damage and hope you don't die from the perfectly non-OP balanced artemis missiles.

They take a lot of skill to use properly ya know.

Edited by PanchoTortilla, 06 November 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#39 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 360 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

I´m an dedicated Founder Cata driver with 2lrm20 2mls 1TAG and 1mpls I now use Artemis and I agree that NOW it is OP! I hoped that they would introduce Artemis together with ECM but as they described ECM at this stage it is horrible OP. As of now I will use my A1 with 2lrm15 and 4 ssrm2 without Artemis as a "long range brawler" to avoid using a shortcut!

#40 Memory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNYC, NY

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

View PostPanchoTortilla, on 06 November 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

That sounds pretty difficult, guess you'll just have to take the damage and hope you don't die from the perfectly non-OP balanced artemis missiles.

They take a lot of skill to use properly ya know.

Since you don't seem to know the meaning of constructive discussion, Please refrain from posting here any further, you're accomplishing nothing.

View PostTed Wayz, on 06 November 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

Discussing strategies in Beta is like trying to build sand castles at low tide. They are great to imagine but they never last.

Developer feedback will fix the problem, I am thinking we should focus on that. But that is my opinion.

I agree, there is always the option to just wait for the weather to change, but I would Rather not abandon the game while waiting for that. Besides, brainstorms like this make us all stronger players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users