90Kph Hunchback Survivability Tips

16 replies to this topic

#1 Bounty Dogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Greetings all! Ive made me a machine that ive fallen in love with: Hunchback 4P with 260 XL engine. I know, I know, XLs on hunchies aren't exactly the brightest moves, sense couple of good torso shots and im dust, but I just can't stop wanting the speed......the SPEEED.... @_@

Ahem!

Anyway, something ive noticed though is that Other mechs have a tendency to keep up with me. At first it was just light mechs, which i can easily understand (their engines outclass mine, theyre WAY faster than i can go, so Q.E.Duh!) But lately it seems like even other hunchbacks that i couldve sworn were slower than me can keep up and keep fire on my weapons caches.

Now, human perception being what it is, I realize that its probably just my tactics that need work, but a part of my ego ( :P ) won't let me rest without at least asking if anyone has noticed that 90 on a hunchie dont always seem like 90.

If its just a case of perception, then fair enough. I need tactical advice then! My playstyle with this hunchie is the multirole of Heavily reinforced scout mech with Smashmouth capability (38 Firepower Signature) and devil may care Distraction mech (dodge in between heavies and assaults to confuse em, 'poke' at mediums to tie em up, chase off or be chased off by lights to keep em away from our support lines/assault blindspots). Any helpful advice and constructive criticism on my style of play will be greatly appreciated and seriously scrutinized.

Thanks for any helpful advice in advance!

#2 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

You're not gonna like this advice but stop playing the Hunchback like a scout and take out that xl engine. :P

#3 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

I run my 4SP with a standard 260 and double heatsinks and endosteel.

Edited by Flapdrol, 07 November 2012 - 03:19 AM.

#4 FiveDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 07 November 2012 - 03:18 AM, said:

This. Should apply to the 4P as well. You just need to reduce the number of MLAS or downgrade to SLAS accordingly.

#5 AC Rimak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 241 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

The XL for hunch works fine.
Speedback is not a scout in any means, but when it runs at 90kph it's really hard to focus fire his hunch.

The speedback also is a very very good 1v1 brawler, the toughest enemies are heavies, especially streakapult and gaussapult.

Speed gets you to be a pain in the arse of lights and you can take out almost any Assault.

So IMO speedback is really good both in 1v1 and in teamplay (due to it's mobility)

Edited by AC Rimak, 07 November 2012 - 04:05 AM.

#6 Silra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCold North

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Many people have started to get Elite skills open on their favourite chassis, meaning they have Speed Tweak elite for the 10% top speed increase. That would explain why more and more battlemechs can keep up with you now.

The XL Engine is a personal choice, something I won't ever run on a Hunchback because of how many people will kill that side torso of yours (and you won't ever be able to put that Energy hardpoint located in your Head to any use if side torso hits also destroy you, and not just center torso ones).

So I suggest getting your Elites open for the Speed Tweak for even more speed for your Hunchback without having to change the engine around.

#7 Vizzini

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

if you're going to stick with XL, you could replace the SL in the head with an ML or TAG and get more use out of it

#8 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 07 November 2012 - 03:18 AM, said:

You don't even need Endo.

#9 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 07 November 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

You don't even need Endo.

Depending on weapons you do.

My 4SP has a STD 255 (88.8 kph w/Speed Tweak) 4 ML and 2 SRM6s (2 tons of ammo) 1 AMS and 1 ton ammo. Endo and DHS. I run at 50 tons.

#10 tvaughanx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...25#entry1431325

my 90.5kph hunchie.

#11 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

The first thing i go for on any hunch but the 4sp is the torso. I woulnd NEVER xl that mech.

Edit: Its the same with the current trial Atlas. Just blow up the torso with the gauss...

Edited by Budor, 17 November 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#12 Coro Ner

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

i run it with 4ML, 2 SSRM, 4 Tons of Ammo, DHS, 260 Std Engine, Endo. 90.9 kmh with Master skills, fast and enough firepower. Never ever i would need an XL engine.

#13 SplinterMD

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

Hmmmm 7 Small lasers with two medium pulse to back it up Standard Engine 245+ as many is about the cookie cutter build right now.

Also check the way you spread your armor, with low back armor and XL a Hunchie can feel paper thin.

Personally I run 9 Medium lasers with standard 260 and 18 DHS, set the shoulder for chain fire in brawls and Alpha when you get a clear shot. If you have decent aim and not going after a scout, chances are you gonna take an arm or a leg every time you Alpha

Edited by SplinterMD, 19 November 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#14 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostFiveDigits, on 07 November 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

This. Should apply to the 4P as well. You just need to reduce the number of MLAS or downgrade to SLAS accordingly.

This.

4P with a 255 standard and 5mpl runs a little hot, but works quite well. Basically just pick the engine rating you want, use a standard, and fill with lasers/heat sinks to taste.

Hunchie's don't need XL engines to go "fast." Since engine restrictions, 90kph (with speed boost and a 260) just isn't fast enough to warrant an XL. Back when we could drop 325-350's in them (see also the CN9-D and the upcoming Trebuchet) that was more XL territory.

#15 Vallyn

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 65 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostSplinterMD, on 19 November 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

Personally I run 9 Medium lasers with standard 260 and 18 DHS, set the shoulder for chain fire in brawls and Alpha when you get a clear shot. If you have decent aim and not going after a scout, chances are you gonna take an arm or a leg every time you Alpha

This is my build - except with 17 DHS equiv I believe.

Though I tend to Alpha people either in their RCT, CT, or Cockpit. Oh the joys of one shotting a Cat or Dragon in the face.

#16 Child3k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

@Bounty Dogg: You realize a STD260 is as fast as a XL260 ? You can just put a STD260 in your 4P, add 9 MLs and go ... if u want to add AMS+Ammo I'd say: Sacrifice some Speed and fit a 250 or 255 into that mech.

@SplinterMD: On my 4P I split the 7 MLs in the right torso and head into two weapon groups (one of them goes in grp 1 and grp 2) which I set on chain fire and fire simultanely. The arm MLs I just put in a third grp. DPS is just way off if you chainfire 6/7 MLs.

#17 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

Since I now have a 4P with 9MLas and a 250 Std. Engine that goes 86kph I should update my comments.

The best way to stay alive in a fast hunchie is like always to avoid being the target of focus fire. Either make sure you are not exposed for long, make sure there is some one more interesting then you, use your speed to stay on peoples rear, or kill them quick. Given the 4P's ability to make headshots, the latter tends to work well against anybody that isn't moving.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users