How Do You Like Your Srms With Artems?

15 replies to this topic

Poll: Artems and SRM (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like Artemis empowered SRMs?

1. Yes, it's a good upgrade. (13 votes [41.94%])

Percentage of vote: 41.94%

2. No, it's effects are minor and not worth the cost. (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

3. No, SRMs are overpowered now. (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

4. Yes, but it could be a bit better. (5 votes [16.13%])

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

5. They are okay, but I don't feel strongly about them. (3 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

6. I have a more differentiated and complex opinion that doesn't fit into a poll choice(Special Snowflake Option) (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

There is a lot of talk and gnashing of teeth about the LRM changes and Artemis. While those are importand and serious issues - they are just part of the patch.

How do you like your Artemis-enhanced SRMs?

First, I was disappointed with my Jenner - upgrading to Artemis did force me to remove 1 SRM4. So I think it won't really be an option for the Jenner for me. It oculd be interesting, however, for the Raven.

A brief test match with the HBK 4SP made me optimistc. The tight grouping helps and seemed to make them before. But that was just one match, more will come. But others may have had more time already to test their SRMs with Artemis - how do you feel about it?

#2 Rathe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

they are nice, a 4sp with 2SRM6 artemis was the first thing I tried. However, more expensive ammo and brutal repair costs make it not very rewarding.

#3 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

I ran a 6xSRM4 and 4xSRM6 + 2xSRM2 A1 last night with Artemis. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Missiles still fly all over the place at some distances so it still seems best to get behind, point blank, and let them all go. I only played ~4 games like that though so maybe I need to get back in and take a closer look!

#4 Asatruer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I Voted for "Yes, it's a good upgrade.", but in all honesty I find it a side grade.
My first run with them was upgrading my HBK-4SPs 2 SRM-6 packs into FCS enhanced packs without dropping them down to 4s, to do this I dropped my Large Laser, and upgraded my two smalls to mediums. I found the change in the spread of my SRMs to be great, I cored a Raven from the back in one burst, and in general brawling with them was a blast.

That said, I was starting to find that I was missing the wider spread when trying to shoot at lights. Maybe if I was a better shot against Lights I would find it a complete upgrade, but right now I am finding that without FCS SRMs are better against lights.

What I did not bother to really analyse was the effect on repair and rearm costs, but did not notice it as being overly harsh. Though for full disclosure, I am running with rearm off, so that might be making a difference.

Edited by Asatruer, 07 November 2012 - 10:04 AM.

#5 Mu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I'll probably drop the upgrade in my founder cat and give it a spin with dual SRM6. I used to love SRMs in the beta but they are very annoying to use now unless you're a Light and can get right up something's tailpipe. Even then they tend to hit areas you don't want them to.

#6 Riffleman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

Its not the huge upgrade you see in LRM missles. And 2 tons is a heft investment for a medium or light. But I am going to keep it for a bit and test it out. Reserve that tonnage for an ECM if its put in, then i can forget about lrms. If they are still bad, I may just drop srms altogether, which is a shame because they used to rock before the clustering nerf.

#7 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

BTW, with allt he LRMs flying, it isn't easy to test a brawling weapon right now... I may have to delay my vote further...

#8 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

I found 2xSRM6 Artemis hard to fit into my Hunchback SP, but definitely worth it. you get some more range out of them, and up close you can stick more of the damage into a single component (e.g. center rear torso).

The change is overshadowed by the huge boost Artemis gives to LRMs though, as it's now much more risky to work your way into close range, and you could instead be using LRMs.

#9 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Do they aid in guidance or just impact point?

#10 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostBlackSquirrel, on 07 November 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Do they aid in guidance or just impact point?

They basically tighten the grouping and so allow you to also hit with more missiles at longer ranges (and more precisely at lower ranges). They do not add guidance.

#11 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hmm how much extra range? I really suck with SRMS so I suppose every little bit helps.

#12 Ornonge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 144 posts
  • LocationOberhausen, NRW, Germany

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Tried em out last night, the spread feels less from around 80m onwards. At least doubles thier effective range, in which the spread is acceptable to around 160m.

#13 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

like the special snowflake option :D

#14 ZoomThruPoom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

It seems to me in my Raven that Art SRM's basically act the same way they used to before the patch that nerfed SRM awhile ago.

This is garbage to me and I'm starting to get sick of the theme they are creating in this beta, by implementing something in the beta that does not work correctly and needs addons or other things not yet in the game to work right.

#15 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Yeah SRMs got nerfed pretty hard by the patch as far as I can tell (yay stealth nerf) Artemis is really just making up lot ground with them. I have been running SRM4+SRM6 on CN9-AL and I think the Artemis is probably going to stay as it does give you much more dependable hits on specific parts of a mech at point blank while you can also shoot out to ~200m with some chance of missles hitting which is nice.

But yeah - why anybody would not be driving a LRM boat right now is beyond me.

#16 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostJungle Rhino, on 07 November 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Yeah SRMs got nerfed pretty hard by the patch as far as I can tell (yay stealth nerf) Artemis is really just making up lot ground with them. I have been running SRM4+SRM6 on CN9-AL and I think the Artemis is probably going to stay as it does give you much more dependable hits on specific parts of a mech at point blank while you can also shoot out to ~200m with some chance of missles hitting which is nice.

But yeah - why anybody would not be driving a LRM boat right now is beyond me.

Because LRMs are about to get put back in their place. Russ Bullock said the new trajectories were a bug and will be hotfixed before the next patch (most likely today or tomorrow).

Why people would feel obliged to deliberately flock and exploit the next "Mech build of the moment" because of a change they introduced in a patch 24 hours ago is beyond me.

I'm not using LRMs because they're borked.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 07 November 2012 - 03:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users