5 replies to this topic

#1 BigTaeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBotany Bay

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

On certain Dragon and Jenner chassis you have only one missile hardpoint in the center torso. Tabletop rules state you can place an Artemis IV in the head slot for a center torso mounted launcher, but unfortunately that may have been too hard to program into MWO or a rule that was simply overlooked.

That being said, has anyone compared the two in the field or using theorycraft, which would you prefer?

Pros of SRM6 - Cheaper ammunition, more overall punch

Pros of SRM4 + Artemis - Tighter grouping in one area, more shots per ton

Right now I'm leaning towards the SRM6, mainly because the grouping improves the closer you are to the target and the extra missile damage can come in handy. But SRM4+Artemis is intriguing.

#2 Bagua

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Right now I have Artemis installed at my Cent with 3x SRM6 and played a couple of matches with it. I love SRM-boats and I am happy about a tighter SRM flight pattern but I am not sure if the Artemis is worth the overall costs. Right now I have to pay more than 90k when I die in my SRM-Cent. Well, everything has it's price.

I would suggest to use the SRM6 in the Dragon.

#3 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

I roll with 2 SRM6s in my Hunchback stocked with 2 tons of ammo along with the Artemis system. The most I've had to pay to rearm my ammo has been around 30k. With my endosteel chassis the most I've paid for repairs in so far has been 65k after a really bad match (and even them with my premium time and good team work I'm looking at no less than a 150k pay check after each fight).

Ok, so that that's a little over a quarter to a third of my expected income but I find games when I expend all of my SRM ammo in combat I usually net around 220k a match (thanks in part to it's massive damage and crit seeking abilities) so I think it's more or less fair. If I stocked 3 tons of ammo I would definitely not rearm my mech and work with the 75% free rearm but I think that would leave me with less ammo than paying for the extra 25% of my 2 tons.

With good skill and a good team SRM6s equipped with the Artemis missile system should still net you a pretty penny at the end of the match assuming you score solid hits and spend most of your ammo. If you only expend 25% of your ammo you're not scoring hits so you're not making money. Weather you expend 25% of your ammo or 100% of you ammo you still pay the same to rearm your ammo so don't feel bashful, you just have to make sure those shots connect. Assuming you get some solid hits, score a few component crits and expend most of your ammo in the process you should seldom score damage under 250 (provided you have other armaments).

On an aside note, I do feel that if it wasn't for the premium bonus that I would be struggling quite a bit more for cash. But if you get the $14.00 MC deal and purchase 30 days of premium time that leaves you with extra MC so assuming you pay for the $14.00 worth of MC every month and only purchasing the 30 days of game time then (assuming you don't spend all of your MC by converting XP to GXP or buy extra mechbay slots) eventually you'll get a free month out of that!

That aside, the weapon system does reward you with better performance and so it should cost a little bit more to rearm it. Weather or not it needs it's price predominance is another mater which I'm not against delving into.

Edited by Raso, 08 November 2012 - 07:00 AM.

#4 Silra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCold North

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

When it comes to SRMs the Artemis really only seems viable on SRM6s (mind you I have not done extensive testing, just some games with both SRM4 and SRM6 with Artemis).

Firing 6 missiles you want the tighter grouping more than firing 4, as 4 are easier to get on the target anyway than all 6.

Just my opinion, but stick to standard SRM4 or go all-out with SRM6 + Artemis.

#5 TheUnderking

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

I agree with Silra's opinion. If it's not an SRM6 (and preferably multiples), don't bother with Artemis. I roll with a single SRM6 no Artemis due to tonnage issues (save 0.5t over an srm4+artemis) and still wreck kids at under 100m.

#6 BigTaeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBotany Bay

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Thank you everyone for your input. The consensus seems to be Artemis is not worth it for anything smaller than SRM6, so I will just stick with the standard 6 in the DRN-1C unless they happen to fix the issue with not being able to put an Artemis in the head slot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users