You Know What Would Be Awesome? Miniatures Based On The 'mechs In Mwo.

41 replies to this topic

#1 Curon Hifor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMy Enforcer

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

Title says it all. I would totally invest money into getting miniatures based off of the artwork here at the MWO website, as I think they would make for some amazing miniatures (especially that BlackJack and Raven). Anyone thinking the same thing?

#2 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

First time I saw MWO concept art I thought miniatures would be a hit.

I would rather use MWO versions than the original to play Battletech with.

#3 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Id also be interested. I love the classic mechs and their looks. However I also like MWO's take on alot of the designs. After 25 years a little change isnt a bad thing IMO. With any luck MWO will bring a new player base to Battletech and maybe increased sales will push something forward.

#4 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

You just need a 3D Printer and to extract the 3D Models from the game data.

Mustrum "for certain values of just" Ridcully

#5 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

or you can spend hours using grey and green stuff....
and afterwards your minis look still weird

similar ideas were posted in the past...but i'm still concerned with the quality last iron wind minis had.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 09 November 2012 - 02:59 AM.

#6 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

IIRC, they couldn't make minis based on the MWO designs due to legal issues. I'll see if I can get more info on this.

#7 Curon Hifor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationMy Enforcer

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 09 November 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

You just need a 3D Printer and to extract the 3D Models from the game data.

Mustrum "for certain values of just" Ridcully

Except those 3d printers are grossly expensive, from what I recall. Thanks for the suggestion anyway, though :)

View PostStormwolf, on 09 November 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

IIRC, they couldn't make minis based on the MWO designs due to legal issues. I'll see if I can get more info on this.

Any info you find on this would be appreciated! :lol:

#8 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostCuron Hifor, on 09 November 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

Except those 3d printers are grossly expensive, from what I recall. Thanks for the suggestion anyway, though :)

That's why i said for "certain valuesof just" :P
And of course, extracting the 3D Model isn't easy either.

I dunno, maybe there is a chance for a promotion program or something like that? But it may be way too early for that.

I seem to remember that there are basically "copy shop" 3D printers, where you can send in something and have it printed for you. For example (quick Google Search for 3d Printer Services): http://www.shapeways.com/
So the prices if you have a model may even be doable. But I haven'T checked the requirements they have (do you need a copyright on what you send in? And if you found a way to extract it from the game files, wouldn't you violate the EULA and doing something like this would be enough to lead to some lawyery intervention?)

This is Transformers, not Battletech - the wrong kind of stompy robot: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=WhFZrsupquo
Posted Image

EDIT: even better perhaps
Posted Image
(The model are just the auto-cannons here, though).

Or a fuill mecha

Posted Image

So the question is - do you have some models? :)

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 09 November 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#9 Curon Hifor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationMy Enforcer

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 09 November 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

That's why i said for "certain valuesof just" :D
And of course, extracting the 3D Model isn't easy either.

I dunno, maybe there is a chance for a promotion program or something like that? But it may be way too early for that.

I seem to remember that there are basically "copy shop" 3D printers, where you can send in something and have it printed for you. For example (quick Google Search for 3d Printer Services): http://www.shapeways.com/
So the prices if you have a model may even be doable. But I haven'T checked the requirements they have (do you need a copyright on what you send in? And if you found a way to extract it from the game files, wouldn't you violate the EULA and doing something like this would be enough to lead to some lawyery intervention?)

This is Transformers, not Battletech - the wrong kind of stompy robot: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=WhFZrsupquo
Posted Image

EDIT: even better perhaps
Posted Image
(The model are just the auto-cannons here, though).

Or a fuill mecha

Posted Image

So the question is - do you have some models? ;)

Those do look pretty cool, I'll admit.

But I have NO experience with 3d modeling or anything...but I might know someone who is. Anyone out in the wild, wild internet have any experience or suggestions?

#10 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

3D printers aren't grossly expensive anymore. You can still easily drop 4 or 5 figures on the really super high-end ones, but a friend of mine got one for around $350. He makes 28mm scale bases for Legos.

You haven't laughed until you've seen a 40k army built from Legos win a game.

I'd like to hear what PGI has to say on this. If it's a legal issue, it was a nice idea. If it's a matter of interest, I know I'd drop money on minis using the MW:O art. My first choice would be the Catapult (though I'm just a tad biased ;) ), but the Jagermech and Blackjack would look great, too. The Dragon is a close 3rd for me.

#11 Teferi

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSilver City, NM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

maybe we should e-mail Ironwind metals and tell them that we want MWO miniatures.

#12 Mousepup

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

+1

I haven't been paying much attention to minis, but Alex Iglesias' designs are much more my cup of tea (except for a few nitpicks like the big laser jewels, PPC glowy whamdoodles and protruberant AC barrel on the Atlas that looks like it can get in the way of handling stuff with those arms.) than a lot of the official ones, though to be fair I think it's kinda hard to judge sometimes due to older official art being terribly sloppy since I often am amazed at how much I like a mini based on a drawing that hurts my brain. It's too bad he doesn't also paint other beverages that I much enjoy, like whatever the Yeoman, Shootist, Matador and such are. If it makes me giggle uncontrollably on first sight, I'd say it's something I like.

#13 Diemos

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

I have actually been looking into a way of making my own models out of sculpey then forming a mold and casting them (mostly) in on shot in resin. Paint them up afterwards, mine were going to be anywhere from 4 - 8 inches tall though, not very "mini" but still. an 8 inch tall atlas would be ****. And if you do this as "fan art" they really can't say anything... as long as you do the work with your own hand, it technically becomes YOUR art.

#14 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

You know the various MacFarlane toys? (I am most familiar with the NFL players and the dragon series) I'd love to see an equivalent for mechs that could be just set up on shelves for decoration.

If they could do it on a 3D printer and painted to match your cammo, people would pay money for their custom rides.

#15 JadeViper

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationEastcoast USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

You do know there is a battletech mini's game. It doubt its still in production, but I bet you can still find booster boxes.

Edited by JadeViper, 27 November 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#16 PsihoKekec

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Mozirje and Radlje

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

The latest starter box could still be found. It has 16 IS BattleMechs and 2 Clan Omnis. But from the discussion I would guess that guys would prefer the versions made by Alex Iglesias as miniatures. Unfortunately, it would have to be cleared with Microsoft who owns the computer games rights for BattleTech (and Shadow Run) which is unlikely. That's why the great looking Hellhound Omni from MW4: Mercenaries looks so different in a TRO (that one looks like crap).

#17 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

View PostPsihoKekec, on 27 November 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

The latest starter box could still be found. It has 16 IS BattleMechs and 2 Clan Omnis.

I think you and JadeViper have your communication crossed. His reference to "boosters" makes me think he was talking about the Dark Age / Age of Destruction clicky mechs. You're referring to the standard tabletop starter kit.

#18 Malooko

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNw oregon

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

If you will all direct your attention here:

http://reversedisabled.blogspot.co.uk/

Seems ome guys is trying to work with PGI and get a business going, selling just that.

Edited by Malooko, 01 May 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#19 ArcDemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

An issue with 3D printing is resolution. The level of detail that can be created with a 3D printer is still several steps behind traditional molds. You can see the resolution issues with the full mech picture posted - a lot of details are more blob like then they should be. Unless the arms in the other picture are in a larger scale then I'd say they've received some attention with sandpaper to clean up the details.

That doesn't mean 3D printing is out. A lot of the BT miniatures made over the years have been low on detail anyway (cost effective molds have a much lower lifespan and fine details can reduce that lifespan to only a few units) and some 3D printers offer the option of color - instead of one binding agent it has 4 binding agents laced with color which are mixed to allow for a true 3D color printed object. You could mass produce an army of mechs that looks very good as long you don't get too close to one.

#20 Wanderer of the Mists

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts
  • LocationAlabama UAS

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:03 AM

just throwing my post up because i would love to see all of the mechs in minis especially the new marauder. ^^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users