4 replies to this topic

#1 Oneah

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Hi, I'm currently using a Cicada CDA-3D. Here is my loadout:
Posted Image

I was planning to use this mech for some long range engagements, where i head on scouting behind enemy lines and keep a long distance and while i support targeting for my team form a afar i could fire a few shots to harass the enemy line. My problem however is that aiming on long range with my Ultra AC/5 is nearly impossible, perhaps i'm just bad at it but the bullet trajectory seems always a bit off and its speed really makes it a challenge. So if i want to hit anything i most of the time need to halt my mech. Now we all know Cicada is a paper mech and as such will very likely die from any unfortunate engagement from the enemy.

My question is, what alternative loadouts would you guys recommend for this kind of engagement, perhaps adding two AC/2 would be a better option? Is it even possible to squeeze a third one? How much difference in dps would this mean? I'm not very aware of the power of AC/2 at the moment. How much easier is it to hit consistently with it from a far? Thanks

Edited by Oneah, 08 November 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#2 Graxus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

All ballistics aim almost the same at long ranges, while you are moving you will miss a lot, the ac2 has the advantage of enough ammo/t and a good fire rate so it should normally perform a bit better.
Generally i fear you bought the worst cicada, there is not much you can do with those 4 ballistic slots.
I had the best results with a large laser and 4 mg.

#3 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

If you put in a smaller engine and strip some armor, you can fit up to 4x AC2. The question is: do you want to be slow and unarmored?

Aside from 4x AC2, I tried 2x AC 5, 2x AC10 and 2x LBX10... LBX10 is not worth it. Ok damage, but horrible range and you need to downgrade the engine so far that an Atlas can outrun you. 2x AC10 suffers the same problems, but puts all damage in the same spot... if you hit.

The most usefull is 2x AC2 or 2xAC5, between theese two, it's range (AC2) vs. damage (AC5), but since they aren't as taxing as the other configs, the choice is mostly preferance.

I tried Gauss + ERPPC too, but with that config, everyone will go after you. (Also, it's hard to hit with thoose weapons. Especially while that Atlas outruns you :) )

Currently, I run 1 ER LL + 4 MGs... can't say much about that config yet, I still need to grind the xl engine for it.

#4 michaelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

So far the only config that works for me is GR+MPL with 200 XL engine and nearly maxed armor (everywhere but hands).

#5 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

Posted Image

UAC/5 is a bad idea for sniping, the second shot will almost never hit. And PPCs generate too much heat to be viable for DPS.

Not to mention that it has a minimum range.

Get a Gauss Rifle if you're intent on sniping. You stop to fire, then get the heck out of there before the return fire comes.

Also needless to say, stay out of radar range so their lights won't come and murder you, and don't stay in any one sniping spot for too long, or you're not going to live very long.

As a moving sniper you have the added advantage of being able to spot for your team's LRMs, by the way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users