Rejoin Battle In Progress

78 replies to this topic

Poll: Rejoin battle option (262 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be a rejoin battle option?

1. Yes (255 votes [96.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 96.96%

2. No (8 votes [3.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Taynak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Ok, so we are all familiar with the scenario... we group... we drop... and you c2d... (crash 2 desktop)... it's infuriating... but they are working on it... so... what i suggest is a way to rejoin a battle in progress....

for what ever reason i c2d... i know for certain that its not a issue with my mech... as i have been grinding on this mech for a week now... now im sitting here typing this while my groupmates are in battle...

i want to try and rejoin after restarting my client

#2 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Questions: In what state is your mech? Where do you rejoin the battle?

These two questions could be highly relevant in situations such as disconnecting while at the enemy base.

You set up a hotkey on your keyboard to quickly kill the MW:O process. You're sitting at the enemy base. You see them coming, you disconnect, they trash your now zombied mech at their spawn and move off. You rejoin, your mech restored to the condition it was when you abruptly exited. What condition are you in? If you rejoin as things were when you left off, you're in good shape and in position to resume capturing their base. That seems ... problematic.

Or,
You set up a hotkey on your keyboard to quickly kill the MW:O process. You see massive flights of LRM's heading for your Atlas and know you cannot hide in time. You hit the button and kill MW:O. Two minutes later, your buddy tells you the lone surviving Dragon is all tore up and close to capturing your team's base. You rejoin, returning back to base, slay the enemy Dragon, and win the game. That seems... problematic.

So, while I voted "Yes", I think this would need to be carefully considered so that it does not fall into instant abuse.

#3 The Glaive

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Not just yes, but heck yes!

#4 Maverick Howell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#5 Elder Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

View Postltwally, on 09 November 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Questions: In what state is your mech? Where do you rejoin the battle?

These two questions could be highly relevant in situations such as disconnecting while at the enemy base.

You set up a hotkey on your keyboard to quickly kill the MW:O process. You're sitting at the enemy base. You see them coming, you disconnect, they trash your now zombied mech at their spawn and move off. You rejoin, your mech restored to the condition it was when you abruptly exited. What condition are you in? If you rejoin as things were when you left off, you're in good shape and in position to resume capturing their base. That seems ... problematic.

Or,
You set up a hotkey on your keyboard to quickly kill the MW:O process. You see massive flights of LRM's heading for your Atlas and know you cannot hide in time. You hit the button and kill MW:O. Two minutes later, your buddy tells you the lone surviving Dragon is all tore up and close to capturing your team's base. You rejoin, returning back to base, slay the enemy Dragon, and win the game. That seems... problematic.

So, while I voted "Yes", I think this would need to be carefully considered so that it does not fall into instant abuse.

well.. you should reconnect to the state your mech actually has in the game. If it got destroyed - bad luck (even more bad luck, considering that you just crashed).
Taking into account, how often i have to Alt+f4 because of Black Screen or 4fps at the BEGINNING of the Match, i think i could be able to be back in the match before i got destroyed and actually try to be a help for the team

#6 IQwrassler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 167 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario ... hunting for kimuras ...

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

This is a feature that needs to be implemented asap. It would resolve many disconnected 'mech issues. This is an especially important issue in competitive unit battles, preventing uneven teams from ruining important tournament/faction-based matches.

Since your battlemech persists in the world while you are away, there is no reason its status would change upon reconnection. If it is destroyed, you reconnect in spectator mode, otherwise, you drop into the cockpit wherever your 'mech is in-game, whatever condition it is in.

Edited by IQwrassler, 09 November 2012 - 09:33 PM.

#7 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostIQwrassler, on 09 November 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

Since your battlemech persists in the world while you are away, there is no reason its status would change upon reconnection. If it is destroyed, you reconnect in spectator mode, otherwise, you drop into the cockpit wherever your 'mech is in-game, whatever condition it is in.

I may be wrong about this, but as things currently stand, your finances only reflect the point up to you exit the game. If you disconnect with only minor damage, you only pay for that minor damage, regardless of how much damage is inflicted to your zombied mech after you're gone. Likewise, you only get profits that you've earned up to that point.

How many players will be willing to reconnect knowing that they may be coming back to not only a trashed mech, but a huge repair bill?

Or do I misunderstand the way a disconnect currently works?

#8 Zphyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 703 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

I think the devs will implement this... eventually. Hope it's asap.

#9 Anjin

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

As far as abusing a "much later" disconnect goes, all that would be required would be to limit the time in which you can reconnect -- some period of time that would be reasonable from your time of disconnection. As far as state of the mech, I agree that you come back to whatever it happens to be in, including popping you back in in spectator mode. As far as rewards/repair bills go, I wouldn't think it'd be that hard to start tracking again once you reconnect.

#10 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostAnjin, on 10 November 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

As far as abusing a "much later" disconnect goes, all that would be required would be to limit the time in which you can reconnect -- some period of time that would be reasonable from your time of disconnection

Even if there is such a feature, there is remarkable potential for abuse. A simple rejoin timer would not really address the issues I was concerned with, above.

As far as state of the mech, I agree that you come back to whatever it happens to be in, including popping you back in in spectator mode. As far as rewards/repair bills go, I wouldn't think it'd be that hard to start tracking again once you reconnect.

So, you're saying that a rejoin-er will return to his zombied mech in whatever state the opfor has left it in... but his repair bill will be something different?

I just don't see that working out either easily or well.

I'm not against the rejoin idea. But I do think very careful consideration should be taken prior to implementing it.

#11 ToxinTractor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

This should defiantly be in the game! With the game in beta crashes are very likely to happen or even just some random DC. So we should atleast be allowed to rejoin the fight.

#12 eLCi

• Pip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

please please integrate this option as fast as possible

crash to desktop happens very often at the beginning of a battle and that sucks

its a horror for teams to lose 1 or 2 mechs in such a way

#13 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

I voted no.. Why? Because after the first minute of the game a late joiner could suddenly pop up as a player mech that you have been ignoring in a fight because you already figured out he was AKF or CTD and had live mechs to shoot. Then the re joiner suddenly opens fire into your back? No thanks. Already get enough of that from no 360 visual like in lore or just ***** team mates..

#14 Red3

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

I have been the victim of the C2d bug many times, including times as i was about to have it handed to me, as well as when i was about to hand it to someone else.

I could get behind this "IF" you could only return in the first 2 minutes of the match, not 2 minutes from disco.

this would give you the oppertunity to relog to fix blackscreen,yellow screen, Fps bug, or any of the various Hud bugs that we have to deal with on an hourly basis. It also doesn't give as much of window for people to exploit it,as most of the time the first 2 minutes of a match is scouting and getting to a defensive point. Not much combat happens in that first 2 minutes,unless its a couple of fast movers that meet while scouting.

2 minutes seems a reasonable time frame to me, I have a pretty fast rig,and can get back into game in less than 30 seconds. but thats not going to be the case for everyone,and if your rig takes longer than 2 minutes to get back in game, well, you probably aren't able to play this game in the first place

Edited by Red3, 11 December 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#15 Sky walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

+1.
This feature is extremely needed in current, buggy and unstable, state of the game.

#16 FrostPaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Yeah since the mech is left in game for the duration there is no reason to not give the disconnected played a window of opportunity, say 3 minutes, to reconnect and re-enter the battle.

#17 canned wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationFort Collins Colorado

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

The long term fix is to fix all the crashing. In the mean time, I think rejoining is a good solution.

The counter points so far are silly. You rejoin in your mech where your mech was when you crashed, in whatever condition it is currently in. You pay repairs for the level of damage you've taken through the whole fight. Any other rules are exploitable. You should always have to pay the repairs for the damage taken in a match, otherwise, people can disco when the fight goes south. The same people that hide in the back for the entire fight, then hide and shutdown after the rest of their team is dead.

Getting shot in the back because you ignored a shutdown mech is your own incompetence killing you, not an exploit.

Edited by canned wolf, 12 December 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#18 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

View Postcanned wolf, on 12 December 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

The long term fix is to fix all the crashing. In the mean time, I think rejoining is a good solution.

Certainly they can fix it so crashing is less of an issue. But all games crash on occasion. To believe that otherwise is even possible is... well, rather a step beyond optimistic.

The counter points so far are silly. You rejoin in your mech where your mech was when you crashed, in whatever condition it is currently in. You pay repairs for the level of damage you've taken through the whole fight. Any other rules are exploitable. You should always have to pay the repairs for the damage taken in a match, otherwise, people can disco when the fight goes south. The same people that hide in the back for the entire fight, then hide and shutdown after the rest of their team is dead.

Currently, you crash out, you pay for damages up to the point you crash out. If you rejoin only to find that some kind soul absolutely wrecked your mech for you while you were away... and that you then have to pay for that additional damage? I'm finding it hard to believe that many would opt for that.

Beyond the purely financial aspect, there are all kinds of non-trivial, non "silly" scenarios where crashing out can lead to a tactical advantage or unfair disadvantage, depending upon how rejoin is implemented.

Balance is important, and the viewpoint of "just throw it in, it'll be fine" is how things like Artemis and ECM have been as terrific as they have been. Come to think of it, you do fit in around here. Maybe you should apply for a job at PGI.

#19 Ransack

• 1,175 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

There should be a rejoin match in progress option in my opinion. When you return to the match, you return to your mech exactly as it is. No free repairs, no free anything. If you happen to return just as you are being cored, you pay the full price of repairs. If you return right before the the team wins, you get your normal win percentage. If you do not return, you get whatever you get based on your participation level as it is now. I know it sounds exploitable. run, hide, power down, DC,and come back. rise repeat. At least then you are on blast for everyone to see and report.

I would rather there be no need to reconnect to a match in progress, but with the way the game can crash on drop, then tie up your mech until the match ends, why not.

Edited by Ransack, 12 December 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#20 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

View Postltwally, on 12 December 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

Beyond the purely financial aspect, there are all kinds of non-trivial, non "silly" scenarios where crashing out can lead to a tactical advantage or unfair disadvantage, depending upon how rejoin is implemented.

i can easily accomplish all of these same things by sitting still or shutting down my mech until people ignore me. this does not give any advantage to people who want to play possum beyond what is already in the game.

the only difference will be that players will be more likely to kill mechs that appear to be without a pilot. i already do this because sometimes after i shoot them some of the pilots wake up.

this is why many of these arguments are absurd.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users