Now Who's Excited For Spiders?

48 replies to this topic

Poll: SPIDERs? Y/Y (165 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want them already?

1. Yes. (30 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. YES!!! (41 votes [24.85%])

Percentage of vote: 24.85%

3. na, not really. (94 votes [56.97%])

Percentage of vote: 56.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 So who took Pilot Name as a name

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I know I am!

There's a couple variants I'd reeeaallly want to play with but I don't think they would be out anytime soon, namely, the SDR-8K, SDR-7M and the SDR-7Kr... but I'm not sure if we'll see the implementation of the Angel ECM suite... given how overpowered the CURRENT ECM is perceived, not to mention that, in the timeline, it would take a while to get one of those.

... O and the SDR-8X maybe? ;p

Realistically, I guess I could stick to a SPR-5V, but I'd really want 2 others yet I don't consider the 5K or 5D as viable options, and that, EVEN if they had default ECM. Perhaps the Venom could be a Hero version... but it sounds a bit overpowered (not that I'd complain or anything while playing as one...)

List of spiders found here -> http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Spider I know it's been posted elsewhere, but for quick reference in this one I thought useful to post again.

Edited by So who took Pilot Name as a name, 22 December 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

This is the actual list: SDR-5V, SDR-5k, SDR-5D. :lol:

As far as the mech is concerned, I'm not too excited. The netcode limit halts it's speed pretty badly and I can already see massive ammount of people poptarting with either PPCs or gauss rifles. Really only for Stinger, Wasp or other such mech lovers.

As far as design is concerned, it's cockpit is almost the same as Hunchbacks and the arms have the same "feature".

But overally, it's going to be a cheap 30 tonner and really, if I wanted to have some fun with not so serious builds, it would definitely be THE choice. Competitive players are screwed.

Edited by Adridos, 22 December 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#3 So who took Pilot Name as a name

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hopefully machineguns and Flamers will be ''weapons'' again by the time those come out!

#4 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

I would have prefered the Javelin. 6xML's with DHS, 4xSSRM 2's, or a combination of both in a 30 ton jump capable 'Mech is nothing to laugh at.

In my opinion, the Spider will suffer from too much engine/jump jets and not enough firepower/hardpoints. It's great for the tabletop but might be a poor addition to MWO, only time will tell though.

Edited by Sennin, 22 December 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#5 So who took Pilot Name as a name

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

I won't deny it, the Spider looks like it will be the least appealing Light so far stat-wise, given we don't even know if any of the variants will have ECM capabilities. I'm looking forward to play with them for 1) the challenge 2) the jets 3) the ''parkour''... overall, I expect to lower my rating playing for ''fun'' but hey, won't be worse than my HBK-4P ''Flamer-boat''*.

*I apologize for my past and future games where I went/will go out in my Flamer-boat config to all the pugs out there on my team.

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Not too excited about it. I hope they don't spend time making a Hero mech for it (unless it is red and blue).

Then again, I mostly pilot heavy mechs and assaults with a few Hunchies on the side. :lol:

Edited by Elizander, 22 December 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#7 Grumbling Coot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Not really all that excited about it.

btw, the spider in your sig is kinda cute, but i still want to smash it...

hmm...that's probably what I'll think of the mech version when it comes out too...

#8 So who took Pilot Name as a name

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostGrumbling Coot, on 22 December 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

btw, the spider in your sig is kinda cute, but i still want to smash it...

Haha, that's kinda what I'll be going for, but like the spider in my sig, I'll be a pain to smash! ... Or at least try to!

P.S.: if you want the high rez version of that shot, I got it somewhere. Took it a while back in super-macro (10cm away from subject). It was funny because the moment it would look at me intrigued would be the moment I'd pass the focus limit of 10cm. Anywhere closer it would freak out and I would have no focus; anywhere further and I would be not worth its attention (or perhaps not be seen altogether).

Edited by So who took Pilot Name as a name, 22 December 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#9 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

I hate Lights, just working up the Commando because I was bored, but after I master the Commando/Stalkers I may get a Spider just to annoy people. Don't see a big use for it though, doesn't bring a whole variety to the table compared to the other Lights we have.

#10 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

What's the point? How would a Spider kill all the ECM lights any better?

#11 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

They need to remove the speed cap of 150 k/ph for the spider to have value. Buffing Flamers and MGs would also help. The Spider can have insane speed, but netcode is keeping it limited.

Edited by Stingz, 22 December 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#12 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostStingz, on 22 December 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

They need to remove the speed cap of 150 k/ph for the spider to have value. Buffing Flamers and MGs would also help. The Spider can have insane speed, but netcode is keeping it limited.

Don't forget the Cicada and Commando. Those two also can do better than what they are allowed.

#13 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

With how Jump Jets are currently implemented (incredibly slow rocket boosters and lack of omni-directional jets), I'm not so excited in playing the Spider when it is released. A Spider is supposed to be able to "out jump" Wasps/Stingers, which have a jump distance of 180m. I sometimes use stock configs too, and trying to use a Spider with poor jumpjets and minimal weapons, or the current MEH MG/Flamer, would be an absolute chore and/or suicide.

Edited by General Taskeen, 23 December 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#14 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

I've always been a fan of the Spider in B-tech universe, it's artwork and the appeal.

However that being said. I want to like the Spider but with the current way MWO is set up it is going to be extremely hard to want to like it.

What really kinda makes me cringe is the low amount of hard points.

Even more so is the placement, for instance the medium lasers on the 5K are set up in the center torso (or supposed to be) which means even through you have 2 energy slots you are limited to single slot medium lasers or a single large laser.

I'm a fan of the Dakka-Dakka but even I know machineguns are nothing more than visual effects at this point.

Looking at it from a fan point of view: I'm in love with the spider.

But from the practical point of view i'm a little remiss.

Think of it this way, we have a faction battle going on for a tourney or freeplay like the old NBT4 league and your a light pilot. It doesn't really matter how good of a Spider pilot you are you will have a hard time justifying bringing a spider over a ECM Commando, jenners, or ECM Ravens.

Simply because it doesn't bring enough firepower to outgun your other choices and not enough utility to outclass the ECM lights which can still outgun it even if it was able to mount ECM.

2 Medium lasers is still 2 medium lasers.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 23 December 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#15 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

It's a weird choice on PGI's part.

#16 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

As far as I know agility in this game is linked to Engine rating.

There is no separate stat that influences's Agility.

For instance the commando was one of the most agile mechs in the inner sphere, it was light it didn't have a lot of speed but what it did better than anything else was urban warfare.

It could stop, go, duck, weave, dodge in and around places better than most other battle mechs.

Now the Spider is reputed the MOST Agile battle mech in the universe at least in the Inner sphere and is basically a parkour Ninja able to turn on a dime.

But I suspect it will still be tied to engine ratings for agility so we will see.

That and there's no Cruising and Running speed in this game. I don't know anyone who doesn't roll around at Max KPH.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 23 December 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#17 So who took Pilot Name as a name

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 23 December 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

Think of it this way, we have a faction battle going on for a tourney or freeplay like the old NBT4 league and your a light pilot. It doesn't really matter how good of a Spider pilot you are you will have a hard time justifying bringing a spider over a ECM Commando, jenners, or ECM Ravens.

Well, if MWO uses some sort of BV rating to match people up, I'd say I'd still be good for the team if I'm an ace pilot given that my Spider has such a low BV, it's half the BV than an ECM Commando, jenners or ECM Raven... meaning the group I'd be in would have stronger allies (not thinking I'd be so low ''we'd get an extra Atlas-worth in BV'', but still something notable).

#18 michaelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Spider is great because it can easily reach +3 for +1 to hit movement modifiers (or +4 for +2) while delivering nice 6 pts kicks and full hands for good punching ability and 8 JJs.

None of this is going to works in MWO so it will be another jenner/raven with minimally different hardpoints.

#19 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

......... Yeah. not interested.

More interested in working counters for ECM.

#20 MacKerris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

I will be getting one or three. However I am not going to hold my breath as far as them working the way they should....at first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users