So Do The Ear Flaps Actually Do Anything?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Straylight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 535 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

So a week ago we got a button and some indicator lights that lets us control the ear flaps on our Catapults (and one for the Centurion's chest too, but I don't think I can make those jokes in an all-ages forum), which begs the question of why we'd ever want to keep the stupid things closed.

Other than "look funny" and "slow down our firing sequence", has anyone observed some benefit to having the doors? Other than the ability to do Groucho Marx-style eyebrow waggles at our opponents, is there some trait or characteristic the Catapult gains by keeping them closed?

This is an honest question. I appreciate that some poor modeler added them in--I believe for the first time ever in a MT/BT game--and actually bothered to make them articulate, but in a game that moves just quick enough for that bit of firing delay to matter, I really do have to wonder what the point of them is.

#2 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

At some point in the Closed Beta (after the complains were piling up), they added a +10 % damage reduction if the flaps remain closed. Marginal, perhaps, but at least give them some use. If you're forced into close combat, this may give you an extra second with your ears staying on... Unlike that will be enough to save you,but... better than nothing, right?

#3 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Flaps closed for the damage reduction while moving into position/running away.

Open flaps when engaging the target for faster firing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users