Overloads (Dropships playing a role)

5 replies to this topic

#1 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:17 AM

In the artwork which is featured as a background to the website you'll see an Overlord Dropship taking heavy damage, while also returning fire.

It would be really fantastic to make Dropships feature more than just environment eye candy. How about using them as your HQ, that forms the backdrop for your entire lance, company or battalion. Forming your means of deployment and extraction on missions, it could further be your means to store supplies and repair.

The space onboard would be limited, so making you think about what kind of supplies your really going to need for a deep raiding campaign. It would also limit the total tonnage of Battlemechs which can be carried. Do you bring a smaller proportion of higher tonnage Mechs? Or a large total amount of lower tonnage chassis?

You would also be able to upgrade your Dropships or even purchase better and bigger Dropships as your progressed in the game.

#2 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:12 AM

Bump.

#3 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:50 AM

Maybe in later game modes, but I dont think it would work right now.

BTW: The dropship you mentioned, is it that big ball being torn to shreds in the upper right corner?

#4 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:01 AM

Yes, It's the large egg shaped, dark grey object that is heavily damaged. When you look at the image on the 'Media' page it looks egg shaped, so is most likely an Overload class Dropshop.

It seems feasible though that you will be able to launch attacks on other planets over enemy houses. You'll need a Jumpship to get you there, and a Dropship to deploy to the planet surface. Deep raiding into enemy territory in lore can takes weeks or longer, so you only have what you bring with you, and what you can salvage from the enemy.

Having a Dropship as your main base seem possible, and could also bring greater depth to the game.

#5 Shepherd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

My guess is that there will be a rotation of maps to play on. Perhaps they'll pick several planets along each border for players to take contracts to fight over. Each planet would have one or more maps. The planet gets fought over for a while - maybe a week, maybe a month - and then the wins/losses for each side are tallied up and a winner is declared.

I can see them making conquest maps which involve objectives like bases, cities, factories, spaceports, dropships, etc. I'm not sure it will be "your" dropship or "my" dropship, or that it will have equipment for any particular person onboard. I see something like that belonging to the House you're contracted with, and you're defending it (or attacking it, depending on which side you're on).

But what do I know? We'll have to wait and see.

#6 gilliam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

Heres an idea: player merc organizations as an organization similar to guilds or clans in other games. A dropship can act as sort of an HQ, and in merc vs merc games you can bring it to bear, but you are risking a valuable asset. Bigger gorpus have more, bigger dropships (not just overlords, theres unions and Leopards)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users