My First Mech

11 replies to this topic

#1 Xenophontis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Farmed up 4 million C-bills and I think Im ready to purchase my first Mech. I'm looking at the Hunchback variants and I've read they are a solid first pick. I'm trying to decide between the 4H and the 4G since they both have ballistics slots. The H only has 1 ballistic slot with 5 Energy and the G has 3 ballistics and 3 energy.

Which one do you guys suggest?

#2 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

I'm not a fan of any of the ballistics except the gauss rifle myself...

Personally, I'd go with the 4SP, replace the srm's with ssrms, and use the saved weight for more heatsinks to constantly fire. Maybe swap out the 4 medium lasers for 2 large lasers or something.

#3 Xenophontis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Well lets say you actually liked ballistics ^_^ (I'm a big fan) Which one would you pick?

#4 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

I'd go with the HBK-4H then.

There aren't many cases where you would want more than 1 ballistic weapon in the same location. Sure, loading up 2-3 AC2 or AC5 might be fun, but you'd probably be better served with a single AC10 or LBX10 with an array of lasers backing it up.

Or maybe a Gauss + 5x small lasers.

#5 xXDivoXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 228 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hunchback4h is Better But the only Hunchback that is not Netrulazed buy torso shot is Hunchback 4SP same goes for Awesome8T if you like Sp you would like this one too

About the Streaks they nerfed them Stick around with them a little see if they worth it if not ... add srm 4 and reduce i heat sink

4 Million is not enough you need to spend 1.5 for ann 250 engine and then another 1.5 mill for doubleheatsinks so you will have 20 heat disspersal without extra heatsinks this will save you 11 tons then another 900k cbils for EndoSteel ... and if you go with huchback sp Never go XL use 250standart engine at all times this mech have a Symetric weapon align put 3 medpulse lasers in arm arm head and 2 meduium lasers in arms and 2 streaks or srm4 in torso Use 288 Armor points strip the legs a bit

and Have Fun

Sorry for mistakes i am A Russian

#6 D0m1n4t0r

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

I've seen some people put machine guns instead of any large caliber, and if you put 3 machine guns with a few tons of ammo they actually do good damage, good crit-seekers, and component destroyers.

#7 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Go with the 4H. There isn't really a good way to put in 3 Ballistic weapons anyways. It gets tough to even mount 2 AC/2's in it.

I have run a 4G with 2 x Large Lasers and 3 MG's in torso. It isn't really that good. I don't feel it crits enough.

Stock 4G isn't bad though. You go ES first then upgrade the engine. After that go DHS for good measure. Once you are able to afford all those you should understand the mech more and can play around with builds and such.

#8 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Hunchies are fantastic first mechs. And don't listen to that other guy, you don't NEED to trick them out with a massive engine overhaul first thing, they are usable out of the box.

That said, the MOST usable out of the box is the 4SP. The combination of 5 lasers (4 on arm mounts, very easy to aim and track) and the close range punch of dual SRM6s is nothing to ignore. One of the best basic brawlers in the game, love watching components flake off left and right when I use it. The cannon variants can be good, but require more investment and more skill. I have a G with a guass cannon and it can wreck if used right, other times the cannon gets focus fired off in the first skirmish and I'm left tooling around a massive platform for one or two medium lasers.

The 4SP with just a DHS upgrade and the standard engine can fit 5 medium lasers, the SRM6s and three tons of ammo, plus an AMS and one ton of ammo. Leaving you with a very functional, very powerful mech with only a modest investment. Get some endo in there, maybe a bigger engine eventually and it only gets better.

The 4P "Ghetto Delight" build is also very sweet, but actually does need a bigger engine to be the most effective.

#9 Xenophontis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I actually decided to start with the SP as my first and get an H or G later. Currently I am running DHS, Endo, 4x Med lasers, 1x Med Pulse and 2x SSRM 2's. Working on saving up for my Standard 250, using the stock 200 at the moment.

I'm really liking it and I find that I do decently well in brawls. Looking forward to a speed upgrade though ;) 64 km is a little slow for my liking on a Medium Mech.

#10 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

SP's a beast.

Its easily underestimated in battles, its a bit of a noob mistake people make to ignore the hunchies in favor of gunning down atlases first, or chasing after an "easy kill" scout.

Personally I'll kill hunchbacks first every time, but thats just me ;)

#11 Xenophontis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 13 November 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

SP's a beast.

Its easily underestimated in battles, its a bit of a noob mistake people make to ignore the hunchies in favor of gunning down atlases first, or chasing after an "easy kill" scout.

Not if we kill you first :)

#12 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 13 November 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

SP's a beast.

I shall watch for you.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users