The Gaussapult Thread

20 replies to this topic

#1 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

Let's talk about our beloved monster, the gauss kitty. I didn't find a dedicated threat but with that many gauss kitties on the 'field and with this variety i think it's worth to look at the different builds.

What is good, what is bad? Make it faster? AMS? Side weapons? Nothing but more ammo? Armor in the ears as shield?

At the moment, my cat has a 275XL, 7 tons Ammo and two SLas, only upgrade is Endosteel.

I really like the backup weapons, it helps to conserve ammo with those light bugs. I think about dropping a ton more and upgrade to MLas and DHS, but only 60 Rounds run out fast.
On the other side, I have seen K2s with 100 rounds, but i think that is too much.

What is your build and how good is it?

#2 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

It's all flavour and how much you want to dump into your K2... I run max armor, single guass with 5 tonnes of ammo, 14DHS (I think) and 4 Medium lasers. Speed, punch and lasers to find the target lag shield help me devaste targets without the loss of rounds due to guessing lag shields.

#3 Steel Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Locationgood old Germany

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

View Post627, on 13 November 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

I didn't find a dedicated threat but with that many gauss kitties on the 'field and with this variety i think it's worth to look at the different builds.

You didn't even search right?

#4 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

indeed, i did. But these were full other builds ACs and PPCs and so on. See it this way, let's try to find the perfect gauss build ;)

#5 Protection

• 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Posted Image

This variant, the one that I typically use, is usually considered the standard (I did not invent or pioneer the design, merely hopped on the bandwagon). Small lasers are a little bit of a signature for us, so we still use them, but there are some pretty large variations:
  • Same as above but with 1x Medium Laser instead of 2x Small Laser - for better range
  • Very similar to the above, but remove one ton of ammo and upgrade to 2x Medium Lasers [most teams, including KaoS, seem to like this design]
  • 250XL Engine, add armour to the arms, and put the lasers in the arms - to make dealing with lights easier
  • Remove ammo, strip armour, and/or dump the lasers entirely, it is possible to get a much larger engine (I've seen 300+ XLs) [Snow Raven are notorious to strip armour for speed, they like them very fast]
  • Swap out for a standard engine (I believe 225 is the normal choice) - much much slower, but can survive the loss of a side torso
  • Smaller XL Engine (215-250 XL) - usually goes for more firepower - giving the arms more armour and often carrying as many as 4x Medium Lasers (and additional heatsinks) [I've seen some of the Steiner merc groups running this - think it was shared on the Steiner boards - it does seem to be Steiner-style]
  • Smaller XL Engine (200-250XL) and one Large Laser in the arm (very rare, has some heat and/or ammo issues)
  • The "Demi-Gaussapult" runs a full 315 XL, 4x Medium Lasers (occasionally 4x Medium Pulse Lasers), but only one Gauss Rifle [former ELP MajorFatBoy ran this in competitive play often]
This covers most of the variations I can think of.

#6 Steel Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Locationgood old Germany

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

View Post627, on 13 November 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

See it this way, let's try to find the perfect gauss build :)

Ehhh.... no! B)
The Gausspult is an abomination that deserves to be sent back to the hell where it came from ^_^

#7 Xander Pappyson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCONUS

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostSteel Prophet, on 13 November 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

You didn't even search right?

Enlighten us then Mr. Steel. Show us the "correct" search criteria. Make your post constructive, man.

#8 Xander Pappyson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCONUS

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostSteel Prophet, on 13 November 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Ehhh.... no! :)
The Gausspult is an abomination that deserves to be sent back to the hell where it came from :)

OK? Again if that is true then I suppose you run only canon builds on your mechs. Why if it is withing the game design an abomination? I can bet you min max your mechs also, being a founder and avid forums poster. Which one of our min max builds are your protecting by trying to have the guasscat removed. And BTW Gauss Cataphract and Gauss Balckjack and Gauss JagerMech are coming. You going to QQ "oh man OP" against those too?

#9 Grenadapult

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHermann, MO

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

Ok, for those of us who don't want to grind c-bills, so much as PLAY the game... Whats the best way to build the mech from scratch? I bought my K2, now I'm broke. What's the sequence to buy/add-on/upgrade the parts? Or is the K2 just gonna sit in the shop while I play a Commando?? Blech.

#10 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostGrenadapult, on 18 November 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

Ok, for those of us who don't want to grind c-bills, so much as PLAY the game... Whats the best way to build the mech from scratch? I bought my K2, now I'm broke. What's the sequence to buy/add-on/upgrade the parts? Or is the K2 just gonna sit in the shop while I play a Commando?? Blech.

Remove the MG's and ammo and allocate this to extra heatsinks. Sell the PPC's and use that money for 2 large lazers. You should now have 4 tonnes free, use this for extra heatsinks.

This is a decent build wich is great to grind money with

#11 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Jumping ahead a few years, gauss builds are going to get meaner. Case in point:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Gunslinger

Stop QQing about gauss builds.

#12 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

I still prefer my glass cannon Glassapult for punching pilots' lights out in one shot at >1000m. Then again, I'm a psycho who shouldn't be trusted with any kind of customization options (it only ever leads to horrific game-breaking)

Posted Image

Always a pleasure to one shot full health Jenners and Cicadas standing perfectly still on the friendly base, paying no attention to the Cat looking the other way on a hill 5 grids away. And don't even get me started on the number of missileboats I've insta-cockpitted from outside their missiles' max range.

#13 Mordegar

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

I would have no problem with the Gaussapult if the basic rules out of TT allowed that Mech to carry more than its supposed machineguns in it's ballistic slots, but it's outright ridiculous that you can even mount 2 AC20 into it when the Liao built K2 had to strip 2 Medlasers and the Jumpjets to even *fit* The PPC's into the arms alone.

The Jägermech and the Blackjack, both are built to carry ballistic weapons, but NOT the K2.

Edited by Mordegar, 19 November 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#14 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostMordegar, on 19 November 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

I would have no problem with the Gaussapult if the basic rules out of TT allowed that Mech to carry more than its supposed machineguns in it's ballistic slots, but it's outright ridiculous that you can even mount 2 AC20 into it when the Liao built K2 had to strip 2 Medlasers and the Jumpjets to even *fit* The PPC's into the arms alone.

The Jägermech and the Blackjack, both are built to carry ballistic weapons, but NOT the K2.

Even if they would forbid it on the K2, it wouldn't change much, since tomorrow brings the CTF-4X. And the CTF-3D.

Granted, both of em have issues that the CPLT-K2 doesn't have: lower speed/ armo torso split of ballistic hardpoints. But dual Gauss is there to stay.

The only issue is that GaussCat will no longer be a unique designation. I'd like Gauss Kata.

#15 Mordegar

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

Funny thing is that the Jägermech has a canonical Version with 2 Gauss Rifles built in the JM6-DG and i have absolutely no problems with that at all, it's just the K2 alone that mounts it's primary weapons in the arms like the Gauss Vulture/Maddog does.
Where the heck could you fit the barrel of a Gauss in a torso side of the K2? If it was in the arms like the PPC's, its would be completly understandable and possible.

Edited by Mordegar, 19 November 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#16 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostSniperCzar, on 19 November 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

I still prefer my glass cannon Glassapult for punching pilots' lights out in one shot at >1000m. Then again, I'm a psycho who shouldn't be trusted with any kind of customization options (it only ever leads to horrific game-breaking)

Posted Image

Always a pleasure to one shot full health Jenners and Cicadas standing perfectly still on the friendly base, paying no attention to the Cat looking the other way on a hill 5 grids away. And don't even get me started on the number of missileboats I've insta-cockpitted from outside their missiles' max range.

Saw you ingame with that setup, didn't work for you that time I'm afraid. Being slower than most atlasses is kind of a handicap. Still nice to see crazy builds like that.

Edited by Flapdrol, 19 November 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#17 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 19 November 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

Saw you ingame with that setup, didn't work for you that time I'm afraid. Being slower than most atlasses is kind of a handicap. Still nice to see crazy builds like that.

Yeah, not the best for PUGging I'm afraid. I still usually get 2-3 kills with it, but there's a much higher chance of getting jumped on the rear armor...

#18 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

My 2x Gauss Rifle Gaussapult has 70 armor rounds, highest XL engine (More turn = better vs small mechs and to avoid being gaussed urself :(

had to decrease the armor by twice though so i only got like 200 points in it haha. Nothing in the ears so i only put 5 armor there.

Highest dmg so far what ive reached is almost 900 in a relative short match, its hell'a fun!!!

#19 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostMarctraider, on 20 November 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

My 2x Gauss Rifle Gaussapult has 70 armor rounds, highest XL engine (More turn = better vs small mechs and to avoid being gaussed urself :(

had to decrease the armor by twice though so i only got like 200 points in it haha. Nothing in the ears so i only put 5 armor there.

Highest dmg so far what ive reached is almost 900 in a relative short match, its hell'a fun!!!
but its lame ...

I've had nightmares of freaking gausscats! taking over the world, the goverment, society

day in day out, we human slaves have to produce Gauss rounds for there conquest of the inner circle!

Edited by theta123, 20 November 2012 - 12:48 PM.

#20 Remnant John

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

i run a cat with a standard 150 (40kph) and 2 AC/20s, i know this is a gaussapult thread, but ACs are close enough i assume.

it can spearhead just about any attack, and packs a crazy amount of damage per shot. it's only vulnerability is light mechs at close range, they always get the best of me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users