The Role Poll +

53 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Role is for You? (404 member(s) have cast votes)

Assuming ideal circumstances for your role, which is your favorite?

1. Scout/Spotter (23 votes [5.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.69%

2. Scout/Striker (81 votes [20.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.05%

3. Striker (82 votes [20.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.30%

4. Brawler (123 votes [30.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.45%

5. Indirect Fire Support (LRMs) (36 votes [8.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.91%

6. Direct Fire Support (AC2, ERLL, ERPPC, GR) (59 votes [14.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.60%

Assuming ideal circumstances for your role, which is your second favorite?

1. Scout/Spotter (35 votes [8.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.66%

2. Scout/Striker (70 votes [17.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.33%

3. Striker (63 votes [15.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.59%

4. Brawler (105 votes [25.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.99%

5. Indirect Fire Support (LRMs) (50 votes [12.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.38%

6. Direct Fire Support (AC2, ERLL, ERPPC, GR) (81 votes [20.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.05%

Check all that apply

1. lasers are overpowered (13 votes [0.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.90%

2. lasers are underpowered (61 votes [4.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.24%

3. autocannon are overpowered (8 votes [0.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.56%

4. autocannon are underpowered (133 votes [9.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

5. gauss rifles are overpowered (133 votes [9.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

6. EVERYTHING IS PERFECTLY BALANCED! (35 votes [2.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

7. SRMs are overpowered (13 votes [0.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.90%

8. SRMs are underpowered (65 votes [4.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.52%

9. SSRMs are overpowered (35 votes [2.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

10. SSRMs are underpowered (46 votes [3.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.20%

11. LRMs are overpowered (21 votes [1.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.46%

12. LRMs are underpowered (115 votes [8.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

13. PPCs are overpowered (7 votes [0.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.49%

14. PPCs are underpowered (291 votes [20.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.25%

15. pulse lasers are overpowered (12 votes [0.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.84%

16. pulse lasers are underpowered (125 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

17. 'DHS' are overpowered (11 votes [0.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

18. 'DHS' are underpowered (153 votes [10.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.65%

19. Upgrades cost too much (123 votes [8.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.56%

20. Upgrades don't cost enough (37 votes [2.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

I'm interested to know what numbers we have in the various roles, and how they perceive the state of the game. Public voting in the interests of transparency and fairness. Feel free to discuss, The scope of the poll is vast.

Please note:
The poll mechanic limit is 20 options. Commenters pointed out that they could not participate in the poll without selecting at least one item for Question 3. They wanted a 'everything is balanced' option. My only option was to replace one of the other options with theirs. I chose to replace "the gauss rifle is underpowered" with the "everything is perfectly balanced option". Nobody had picked it yet, and it was highly unlikely anyone would have suggested the GR was underpowered. So all may now participate with a clear conscience.

Definitions:

Ideal Circumstances means your mech and it's components are not nerfed.

Scouts go out to find the enemy (or lack of enemy) and relay that information back to their teammates. They can also spot for indirect fire, and more effectively with TAG.

Strikers are able to get into the fight quickly and out of it just as quickly. They can lend a hand to a brawl and harass enemy Fire Support, capture the enemy base, defend their own base from capture. In football (soccer) lingo, they're sort of like the Center.

Brawlers get in close and slug it out until mechs are turned into smoking wrecks. Not terribly speedy, but heavily armored and bristling with short to mid range weaponry.

Indirect Fire Support mechs keep out of the fray if they can help it, instead lobbing salvos of missiles from the back lines onto enemy targets that have been 'lit' by spotters. They can also spot their own targets if they're feeling froggy.

Direct Fire Support mechs are the snipers. Either pouring a stream of AC2 rounds into an enemy mech's cockpit from across the map, or popping up for a quick but damaging alpha from the larger long-range weapons before disappearing to reappear from somewhere else and repeat the performance.

Edited by Kaijin, 13 November 2012 - 07:24 AM.

#2 SPARTAN 104

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

I would love to see this poll pop up with even more items on the ticket. I think the point is moot however until they get the game firing on all cylinders.

#3 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostSPARTAN 104, on 13 November 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

I would love to see this poll pop up with even more items on the ticket. I think the point is moot however until they get the game firing on all cylinders.

Unfortunately, 20 options is the limit for a poll question.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

3rd question needs a everything's fine. Right now it is a slanted poll with no answers that would say you are good with how the game is.

Statistics class, can't help it. Bias poll is bias.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 13 November 2012 - 06:29 AM.

#5 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

I can not vote on this poll due to missing role (Calvary).

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

View PostZyllos, on 13 November 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

I can not vote on this poll due to missing role (Calvary).

Striker, is that close enough to your roll?

#7 Calmon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

DHS is overpowered/underpowered related to what? To SHS! But people vote DHS underpowered related to heat weapons produce...

#8 aspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

Could we add a "weapon balance is OK" option?

#9 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 13 November 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

3rd question needs a everything's fine. Right now it is a slanted poll with no answers that would say you are good with how the game is.

Statistics class, cand help it. Bias poll is bias.

If you've participated in the first part of the poll and you answer neither overpowered or underpowered for something in the last part of the poll, it can be assumed that you're okay with where that thing is right now.

As previously stated, the poll mechanic limits it to 20 options, and in order for me to get all the role data and the balance data in one place, the 'just fine' options had to be assumed rather than selectable.

#10 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

View PostKaijin, on 13 November 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

I'm interested to know what numbers we have in the various roles, and how they perceive the state of the game. Public voting in the interests of transparency and fairness. Feel free to discuss, The scope of the poll is vast.

Please note:
The poll mechanic limit is 20 options, and in order for me to get all the role data and the balance data in one place, the 'just fine' options had to be assumed rather than selectable for the last poll question.

Definitions:

Ideal Circumstances means your mech and it's components are not nerfed.

Scouts go out to find the enemy (or lack of enemy) and relay that information back to their teammates. They can also spot for indirect fire, and more effectively with TAG.

Strikers are able to get into the fight quickly and out of it just as quickly. They can lend a hand to a brawl and harass enemy Fire Support, capture the enemy base, defend their own base from capture. In football (soccer) lingo, they're sort of like the Center.

Brawlers get in close and slug it out until mechs are turned into smoking wrecks. Not terribly speedy, but heavily armored and bristling with short to mid range weaponry.

Indirect Fire Support mechs keep out of the fray if they can help it, instead lobbing salvos of missiles from the back lines onto enemy targets that have been 'lit' by spotters. They can also spot their own targets if they're feeling froggy.

Direct Fire Support mechs are the snipers. Either pouring a stream of AC2 rounds into an enemy mech's cockpit from across the map, or popping up for a quick but damaging alpha from the larger long-range weapons before disappearing to reappear from somewhere else and repeat the performance.

Poles pretty worthless without a <weapon> is balanced option

#11 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

How can you say weapons are completely balanced? That implies that PGI has EVERY WEAPON balanced. And isnt it, by the forums, a general consensus that weapons need balance work. Given some well most people will never be 100% happy 100% of the time, but that sure wouldn't be with this current patch.

#12 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

View PostKaijin, on 13 November 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

If you've participated in the first part of the poll and you answer neither overpowered or underpowered for something in the last part of the poll, it can be assumed that you're okay with where that thing is right now.

As previously stated, the poll mechanic limits it to 20 options, and in order for me to get all the role data and the balance data in one place, the 'just fine' options had to be assumed rather than selectable.

except an answer is required to submit... so if you don't think any of those things you end up having to select one anyway

#13 Sayyid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

Great poll.

#14 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

View PostApoc1138, on 13 November 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

except an answer is required to submit... so if you don't think any of those things you end up having to select one anyway

Apologies. I was unaware of this particular poll mechanic. I have tried to go in and get rid of the 'Upgrade' options to make room for a "I think everything is perfectly balanced and we're ready for launch" option, but it won't let me. I do find it hard to believe that anyone would be unable to select at least one of the 3rd question options with a clear conscience though.

View PostSayyid, on 13 November 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

Great poll.

Thanks!

#15 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

Yea, good poll OP.

I do like the direct fire support (My Dual ERPPC K2 is fun), and I like the Brawler roll too.

I do think the Gauss is a bit overpowered Because: still think it needs to generate some heat
The SRMs are Underpowered Because: The grouping still seems a little too large
The PPCs Underpowered Because: The PPCs and ERPPCs still seem like they generate a bit too much heat.

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostKaijin, on 13 November 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

However to complete the poll you must answer something in the 3rd part and there is not a Okey Dokey answer to choose.

#17 Zeh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

I do find it hard to believe that anyone would be unable to select at least one of the 3rd question options with a clear conscience though.

Really? You find it hard to believe that the game isn't relatively well balanced?

I can't think of anything that's over or underpowered. I've been playing since the first day of Open Beta, and have about 190 games under my belt. I think it's quite well balanced and content is needed over more tweaking.

Ooh, to be fair, I haven't used PPCs on anything, and I have heard quite a bit that they are underpowered. Just can't speak to that myself.

Couldn't respond to poll. Need new poll, this one is pointless.

Edited by Zeh, 13 November 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#18 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 13 November 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

Poles pretty worthless without a <weapon> is balanced option

Since it's extremely unlikely anyone would pick the option that gauss rifles are underpowered, and nobody had yet, I replaced it with your perfectly balanced option. You may now vote with clear conscience.

#19 buckX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationShut down on a heat vent

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

One issue I have with your check boxes is that you make broad groups like "Lasers" and "Autocannons" when asking about balance. I think that Small lasers and AC2s are overpowered, but I think that AC10s, AC20, LL, and ERLL are all underpowered.

#20 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

View PostbuckX, on 13 November 2012 - 07:23 AM, said:

One issue I have with your check boxes is that you make broad groups like "Lasers" and "Autocannons" when asking about balance. I think that Small lasers and AC2s are overpowered, but I think that AC10s, AC20, LL, and ERLL are all underpowered.

20 options only. It's the poll mechanic. I had to simplify.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users