I Heard A Tip Ingame Today..

24 replies to this topic

#1 Dewil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

...It was "Don't drive a Dragon".

My reply to that: "Learn to play it right!"

Unfortunately, not even a Dragon can save the game all by itself...

4 Large Lasers + Double Heatsinks + Endosteel +. XL300 + 8 DHS =
Posted Image
(yes, I was on the blue team ;) )

Having 4 Large Lasers is hilarious... I found an Atlas that had a slightly damaged center torso. So I fired all lasers at it and before he found me I fired a second time and killed him. A mighty Atlas taken down in 5 seconds. I would have loved to hear his reaction...

I can really recommend this Dragon. It isn't cheap, but it is fun to play. And you can fire two of the Large lasers and still be very close to Heat Neutral so when the going gets tough you can keep fighting for a long time.

Edited by Dewil, 13 November 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#2 Kinjiro

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Loadout?

#3 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostKinjiro, on 13 November 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

Loadout?

Kidding right?

View PostDewil, on 13 November 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

4 Large Lasers + Double Heatsinks + Endosteel +. XL300 + 8 DHS =

#4 Rogbull

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

That does sound like a good setup. When I think Dragon I see a hard to use balistic arm. But what you have there is a speedy large laser boat. No box can hold you!

#5 Grizley

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Of course you can do the same thing with 3-4 large lasers in a cat... Just saying.

#6 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Having torso and arms sharing weapon group is a real pain to use. I dont think this one is for me. Though I cant contest that is an awesome round

#7 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostRyebear, on 13 November 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

Having torso and arms sharing weapon group is a real pain to use. I dont think this one is for me. Though I cant contest that is an awesome round

You don't have to put them in the same weapon group. You can use the arrows keys + right control to customize the weapon groups. If you have more then 3 in use you might want to rebind weapon groups 4&5 to Q&E so they're easy to get to.

#8 Tuhalu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Catapult K2 can do pretty much the same. Slightly slower, slightly more armor and heatsinks, different profile.

The really major difference is the Catapult K2 spreads its weapons across the whole mech. Losing an arm loses you 1 large laser and a heat sink or two. On the dragon, it's either a heat sink or two (the ballistic arm) or 2 large lasers and a heat sink (the laser arm).

Not sure that one is better than the other. I haven't driven any heavies lately. But usually it's the pilot, not the mech that wins battles ;)

#9 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Edit stupid question.

Edited by BlackSquirrel, 13 November 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#10 RealSteel1981

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEssen, NRW, Germany

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

I Love the Dragon. Own all three variants.
Agile for a 60 ton mech. Even without an XL 300+ Engine.

AND yes, 4 Medium Laser, AC 5,DHS, endo-Steel, 300 standart Engine is Fun.

Its simple, and very usable. Sometimes i have Trouble to recordnize another Dragon in a Fight.
Some Kind of Natural Camouflage surrounds it ... too simple Designd to be dangours ?

Love sneaking around the battlefield to catch LRM cats for Free. Works perfect with a Dragon.
No resistance at all from that ammo filled walking victim.

Heat effincy is brillant through all variants.

I Wish there Would be another Variant in the Future.

My Garage is too empty right Now. ;)

#11 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

The greatest flaw of the Dragon mech, is that his LT/RT are just way too small compared to his CT, which is accessible for focus-fire from any direction. This makes him the easiest mech to core-down. Also, while he has stronger Engine possible to install into it, the limit of torso twisting (~180 only, compared to Cata's ~320 degrees) makes that benefit rather useless, since anyone can out-circle you with ease.

#12 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostDewil, on 13 November 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

A mighty Atlas taken down in 5 seconds. I would have loved to hear his reaction...

Unfortunately not even an Atlas can save the game all by itself:
Posted Image

#13 H Koppinen

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

OP: Me and my lancemates from the Blazing Aces were on the other side, if I recall correctly. A brutal close range brawl centered around the back entrance to the tunnel in Frozen City. And yeah there was some annoyance with some of your kills. To be fair to your teammates though, they weren't completely useless. It was a pretty good game altogether.

Edited by H Koppinen, 14 November 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#14 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

I run 4 Large Laser in my K2, and it works quite well! If I HAD to drive a Dragon I'd consider 4x LL, but I'd rather... not drive a Dragon.

#15 xenoglyph

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

If you think the Dragon is fun, try the Atlas RS with 4 LL and a Gauss rifle.

#16 Dewil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostH Koppinen, on 14 November 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

OP: Me and my lancemates from the Blazing Aces were on the other side, if I recall correctly. A brutal close range brawl centered around the back entrance to the tunnel in Frozen City. And yeah there was some annoyance with some of your kills. To be fair to your teammates though, they weren't completely useless. It was a pretty good game altogether.

That is correct. It was a very intense brawl. Once I locked on to you I made a mental note where you were damaged so the next time you showed up I could keep aiming for the same spot. But when the guy I was playing with (Cr_Tiger) said that an Atlas entered the tunnel behind us I just said "screw this, the fastest way out is forwards!". I was genuinly surprised that I survived that mad dash but I had no other options.

Hopefully positive annoyance :)
You will all probably get a chance for revenge in the future ;)

All in all, a great game. I was just lucky to be in a tight tunnel with a right hand turn. Excellent when all your weapons are far out to the left side of your Mech. Gives you the option to shoot past the corner.

#17 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

I used a catapult with four large lasers, had good results. Ran hot but I can handle that.

#18 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 14 November 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

I used a catapult with four large lasers, had good results. Ran hot but I can handle that.

It can do great damage if you're CT'ing each shot and on damaged mech cleanup, but after 3 alphas i was overheated. From then one i had to either wait like 20 seconds for another shot or limit my fire to 2 LL. This was OK in a 1 on 1 duel but it got hairy with multiple baddies were around, even with your team backing ya up.

#19 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

On Dragon or Catapult I prefer 2 LLAS and 2 MPLAS since it keeps the heat much more manageable and thus more shots per minute.

#20 Legionn

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostDivineEvil, on 13 November 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

Also, while he has stronger Engine possible to install into it, the limit of torso twisting (~180 only, compared to Cata's ~320 degrees) makes that benefit rather useless, since anyone can out-circle you with ease.

Statlab shows the Cat limited to 280 degrees. Where did you pull your numbers from?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users