9 replies to this topic

#1 Visyac Cephias

• PipPipPip
  • Storm
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

I had my first duel today.

As we dropped in River city, powering up by the waterfront next to the lake, the usual pre-battle banter stared flying across the coms. A Capellian warned us about pink commandos, I agreed with him out of cultural support, and someone chastised us for warning about colors we couldn't see in the dark. I could think of nothing to say, except that the bright colors of my lasers could illuminate the dark quite nicely.

Most of us spread out across the initial ground in the water, some taking the road through lower city, while I sat back and waited for the battle to begin developing before I stepped in.

I was piloting a HBK-4J, the fat ugly toad of a mech that had struck me as a "wise" purchase up until it was sitting in my mechbay, and I'd burned all of my newbie fun-funds on discovering the differences between engines. Over time, I had ground that piece of coal into something worth using, polishing up its pilot tree to elite and optimizing it's hard points with a pair of MLs, a Heavy Pulse sitting in the torso, and a LRM 15 for moral support.

On the land, someone mentioned a group of stompers taking the route to our base, and I was further back in the middle stream. So I disengaged from kicking a Cataphact in the teeth with LRMS to assist with what I assumed would be pest control
And that is when a Catapult steps off of the cliff edge and bashes me with some SRMs.

Immediately, I run through my initial priorities. The base is in danger, but disengaging from a Close-apult is not going to be a safe, or easy. I can take the damage that will come from fleeing, or I can stay and see how I dance with something twice my weight.

I decide to trust my team.

The catapult begins pulling a strafe, getting around behind me and dropping a couple laser burst across my back, followed by SRMs. I know that my LRMs are useless at this range, and switch to my back ups, dropping a heavy Pulse Laser to his center torso, politely informing him that "it's on"

We dance, circling each-other in a elaborate death spiral that can only end with one mech a smoking totem to it's owner. His SRMs are dangerous, and pass by me in volleys that leave my frontal armor yellowed across all fonts; the pair of mediums that I'd strapped to my arms on a passive whim, thinking them little more than controllable tooth-picks to hurl angrily at my enemies, proved highly dependable, allowing me to chip away at the Heavy Mechs armor between Pulse blasts.

I have speed, but he's got armor. A lot of armor. I can't help but feel overwhelmed by the resiliency of the Central Torso, the heavy protection standing up to its name as I drop bolt after bolt into it's stubborn resistance. Agonizingly slowly, the armor rating drops, from yellow, to orange, to red.

Suddenly I glance across his body, and spark away the defense from his right ear, exposing delicious yellow internals to my pulse lasers. The ear caves away, just as a pair of mechs make their presence known.

One is a Cataphact, sending auto-cannon bolts after me from the direction of our base, clearly indicating the situation is officially "Bro! Could use an assist over here!", as the armor from my left arm is scabbed off.
The second is a Raven, no ECM, that drops a pair of missiles into the side of the Catapult.

He swung his head around, dropping a couple laser bursts on it's passage, and began backing up to assess his situation. I used the leverage to step forward finally descending out of the spiraled dance that we we're trapped within, and drop another Heavy Pulse into his center torso.
Another volley from the Raven strips the armor on his side torso, as I pound him with everything I have, desperately attempting to claim the honorable kill that is due me.
Desperately, I drop his center armor out to yellow internals, scrape my mediums across his cockpit, and drop him with a final Pulse burst.

Kill awarded.

In celebration, I turn and drop a LRM-15 salvo at the Cataphact, a response that is meant to declare, "Yeah. I'm packing heat. Bro."

A good game. A fun fight. Thanks for the time, and yes, we won.

#2 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

And then what

Also good story. This one time I also killed a guy. Ah, good times...

#3 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostTeam Leader, on 22 March 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

And then what

Also good story. This one time I also killed a guy. Ah, good times...

Apparently some people wouldn't value Goodfights if they were made of gold and pissed oil. Good job OP, wire-fights like that are what makes a game like MWO worth playing.

#4 Air Force Man12

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Vivid! Yea, I'm new to this game myself, so cool duals like that are way cool

#5 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 22 March 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Apparently some people wouldn't value Goodfights if they were made of gold and pissed oil. Good job OP, wire-fights like that are what makes a game like MWO worth playing.

I did enjoy the story. I'm glad Visyac Cephias took the time to write it. Don't judge me.

#6 Jay Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 209 posts
  • LocationJumpship in the Periphery

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Was waiting for the twist, but it never came. Still, well written - it was a good read in an otherwise bleak general discussion landscape. We need more of this.
Posted Image

#7 WidowMaker91

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDelran, New Jersey

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

tl,dr

#8 Visyac Cephias

• PipPipPip
  • Storm
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostJay Kerensky, on 22 March 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Was waiting for the twist, but it never came. Still, well written - it was a good read in an otherwise bleak general discussion landscape. We need more of this.

Plot Twist: Their was no Pink Commando. The Catapult was my Father.

#9 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Nicely written.

#10 Tyler Hand

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5 posts