- - - - -

Good First Mech?

69 replies to this topic

#1 Naughty Prowler

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hey all, long time mechwarrior fan. I just started MW:o and I am loving it....except for the damn trial mechs. I have saved up about 3.8 million c-bills and am wondering what a good starting mech to buy is. I would love something that is pretty fast, but still has some ability to hang in battles and be able to take more than 1 or 2 hits, lol.

The 2 mechs I have my eye on are the cent and the cicada. Any thoughts on these? or would you go in another direction?

#2 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Eh, if you want a good all-arounder for the first mech, I'd go for a Hunchback HBK-4SP.

Good speed, good punch for its weight, decent heat management.

#3 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'd say hunchback 4SP as well, pretty good out of the box and you just need double heatsinks and maybe endo/bigger standard engine to "max it out". If you'd buy a jenner or something you'd need to spend a fortune on a 300XL to fully max it.

#4 Frosty Thundertrod

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

eather the centurion Cn9-a or the hunchback HBK-4sp will serve you well has first mechs.
The cicada how ever is a bit more of a nitch role that should only be piloted once you have lots of c-bills to tinker with it load out

#5 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

View PostFrosty Thundertrod, on 14 November 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

The cicada how ever is a bit more of a nitch role that should only be piloted once you have lots of c-bills to tinker with it load out

What niche, fat light mech? The problem is it's 5 tons too heavy for scouting really.

#6 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Cicada is a scout killer. Requires pretty good piloting and aiming skills as well as knowledge of how to efficiently bring down lights, so definitely not a good choice for a novice pilot (though putting a gauss on one and sniping is pretty amusing).

Count me on the 4SP bandwagon too, it's a very nice medium mech versatile enough to support lots of playstyles. Also, being a medium it's doesn't draw as much heat as an assault or light.

#7 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

for me, and this is just me, I tend to go with the heavy/assault class, but, then again, I am a psycho with zero self preservation instincts sometimes lol. Go with the mech that YOU feel best with. But, ya, a Hunchie is a good middle ground to start in.

#8 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

myself i chose a catapult k2 as first mech but i realise now that i couldve made more money with a laser hunchback. if i were you i´d take that hunchi with 9 energy hardpoints. runs with normal engine and has no rearm costs ;)

now that K2 i spent ridicolously much money on in the start, but okay it is fun, too. you can throw the engine and ppcs out, buy endosteel, buy XL240-245,buy 2 gauss, 7-8tons ammo,put in 4 lasorz and you are the master mech ripper of all time with sometimes over 1k damage in the end. you dont get that in a laser hunchy :)

whatever i´ll guarantee you´ll have fun with any of those two. and you will MATTER on the battlefield.

#9 RFMarine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

View PostBogus, on 14 November 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Cicada is a scout killer. Requires pretty good piloting and aiming skills as well as knowledge of how to efficiently bring down lights, so definitely not a good choice for a novice pilot (though putting a gauss on one and sniping is pretty amusing).

agree. using its superior speed and agility to take down assaults and lights needs SKILL. Stop moving or move predictably and you can't take that much punishment.

one build I used was the all laser variant, I got a smaller engine, dropping speed a bit + endo steel. With the tonnage saved, pile on armor and use small/medium lasers as weapons. You might get tired weaving around buildings and circle strafing

Edited by RFMarine, 15 November 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#10 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

I vote for 4sp as well, it's possible to do good builds with standard engines as well, although you have to plan upgrading to DHS & ENDO, or DHS + XL engine (but this may be too costly when paired with DHS & Endo only).

#11 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:55 AM

Gonna be boring and say the HBK 4SP too. It is a great mech.

That said, the Cents are fine choices too. I just prefer the straight punching power of the Hunchies to the Cents well rounded-ness.

#12 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

Centurion CN9-A, this can be a good mech even in stock config.

Just remember to first hammer away at enemies with your LRM's before you engage them at close range combat. The damage done to them will stack with the pure LRM boats to further weaken them.

Also, don't try to go Rambo on your enemies, stick with heavies and assaults.

#13 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

The Centurion and Cicada have pretty different play styles.
This is going to come down to which play-style suites you better.
I recommend you read through the various guides out there that are specific to the particular chassis you are interested in. After reading, ask yourself if that is something you find interesting.

My opinion is that the Cicada will have a higher learning curve because it is more specialized. Do you enjoy a challenge? Are you patient? If so then there is no reason why you could not be successful in that chassis.

On the other hand, if you are tired of those trial mechs and are eager to bump your stats up then you may have better results in a hunchback as others have said.

While less specialized than a Cicada, from what I've read the Centurion's recommended play style is somewhat unique. It involves using your left arm as a shield, rotating to fire from that right arm, and then rotating back to using the left arm as a shield (rinse and repeat). While not too terribly difficult to do, it does present something else to learn and practice on. Is that something you want to learn how to do? That is for you to decide.

#14 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 14 November 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Eh, if you want a good all-arounder for the first mech, I'd go for a Hunchback HBK-4SP. Good speed, good punch for its weight, decent heat management.

I agree, an SP with 4 medium lasers and 2 SSRMs is a great all arounder.. A Hunchy P with 6 small and 2 medium lasers is good if you want more pew pew. An XL260 is definately a worthwhile investment as well. Endo is kind of up to the user. I dont care for double heatsinks.

#15 GetToTheChoppa84

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

So I've been playing a couple of days now and im sitting on around 3.2 mil credits. Looking into buying my first mech but im a bit stuck for what to get. I like being a light mech support role, covering the heavy mechs/doing hit and runs, but i find i keep getting one shotted a lot.

So im pondering a medium mech as a support for the heavy mechs. I kind of like the look of the hunchback or Centurion...

#16 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostFrankZeeTank25, on 15 November 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

So im pondering a medium mech as a support for the heavy mechs. I kind of like the look of the hunchback or Centurion...

I think you're on the right track there. I've played the hunchback quite a bit and am really liking the variety of them. I usually can go against everything in them.

Depending on your setup and hbk variant you can either play scout hunter, heavy assist or lrm spotter with brawling capability.

I like the ones with the hunch best, mostly the 4G and 4P as they pack a lot of punch in there. They are however a bit fragile so you need speed to offset that. The 4SP makes for the best all round slower hunchback without the obvious weakness of the hunch.

As a support mech I usually mount medium lasers and srms on the 4SP. You want to be able to tacle lights and mediums head on and assaults and heavies from the back.

AMS makes for a good addition when running around your friendly assaults and a TAG-laser is good when you're up front brawling with enemies. I like to run a lbx-10 and two medium pulse lasers and a tag on my 4G which makes it a good light mech hunter and deterrant. 4P with 6 medium lasers can deal constant heavy damage on all targets and drop badly hurt ones in one salvo. I ran with two of the lasers in the arms and four in the hunch.

XL260 gives you plenty of speed to chase lights around and avoid a lot of the shots from heavier opponents, but if you're going 4 sp then the standard could be a good idea.

Just use torso twist a lot and don't think you can go for assault mechs head on and you'll be fine.

#17 Termius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

Jump in a Trollmando-3A, upgrade your engine till you are hitting 110 km, throw in some streak SRM's and 2 medium lasers.

I find this build rarely fails me and is cheap as hell to upkeep. Plus I think the Trollmando is just fun to play in general, being able to stay right behind your target, blasting away at them, and then booking it out of there when their friends come along.

#18 GetToTheChoppa84

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

View PostEdustaja, on 15 November 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

AMS makes for a good addition when running around your friendly assaults and a TAG-laser is good when you're up front brawling with enemies. I like to run a lbx-10 and two medium pulse lasers and a tag on my 4G which makes it a good light mech hunter and deterrant.

Yeah I quite like the idea of a AC/Medium laser set up. No sure if the AC is better off torso or arm mounted though.

#19 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostFrankZeeTank25, on 15 November 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

Yeah I quite like the idea of a AC/Medium laser set up. No sure if the AC is better off torso or arm mounted though.

I prefer torso mounted because:
- Convergence mechanics suck (the amount you need to lead changes constantly when using arm mounted ac's)
- Harder to kill (arm mounted heavy ac's just fly off)
- Higher up (can easily peek a hill and fire a round off)

I run the 4G because it's the founder's mech, but you could be better served with a 4H. See also the mech guides section of the forums.

Then again you could get the Yen-Lo-Wang for the arm mounted AC20 and a 30 % cbill boost if running arm mounted ac's is your thing.

#20 GetToTheChoppa84

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Cool :P

Thanks for the help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users