- - - - -

Good First Mech?

69 replies to this topic

#21 WarRats

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

A good support light mech is Raven 2x. It can usually take more then one shot and can do some damage up close as well.

#22 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Cataphract, cuz its new and shiny! :wacko:

#23 Naughty Prowler

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

OK guys, so I decided to get the Centurion CN9-A. I have to say its a huge upgrade from the trial mechs! So far I am running it stock and it's workng out alright. The ac/10's are nice, the LRM's help soften up the target, and the medium lazers, while generating me a lot of heat, are alright.

I have done nothing with the engine, armor, or any other customization. ANy ideas or suggestions on what to look at for upgrades for armor, engine, and other components? Also, any suggestions on weapons loadouts?

#24 Mr Steik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Save up and see what the Cataphract brings tbh.

#25 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Endosteel takes 14 slots but frees up 2.5 tons.
Anti Missle System (AMS) is well worth it.
You might want to get Artemis for your missles. 2 tons 2 slots. Better aim for LRM's and tighter grouping for SRM's.
Double heat sinks require a bit of math to decide if you consider them.

#26 Voyager I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

I will add support for the Hunchback 4SP. It's an excellent pocket brawler that, with a good engine, is fast enough to outmaneuver anything it can't outmuscle.

However, do not put an XL Engine in it. The 4SP is the only Hunchback that doesn't bunch all its guns into one shoulder, meaning it can remain effective in a battle even after losing a side torso...assuming you didn't put in an engine where that kills you outright. Also, between DHS and Endo-Steel, you can carry everything you need even with a max-sized standard engine.

For the Centurion, you absolutely want Double Heat Sinks. You'll also be well served with a bigger engine. You're slow for a medium, by default, and you want to have a substantial speed advantage over something like an Atlas. Try not to put too much of your firepower in the one arm, because you can't count on keeping it past the beginning of a fight. However, you can last quite a while as a walking popsicle, so anything you put in your torso (especially your center torso) is likely to get a lot of mileage. Try to stay away from XL Engines to maximize your durability in brawls, and make sure you have CASE installed so you don't get blown up by your own ammunition.

#27 DerSpecht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

I started with the Jenner and didn t regret it. Fit it with 6 Medium lasers for surprise alpha. Its fun especially if you manage to outmaneuver some of the big guys or if you like guerilla tactis. Flank em, do as much damage as you can and hit it before they can react.

#28 Zeke Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • 164 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

Get Double heat sinks asap. Endo steel is a better buy than FF and don't waste money on an XL engine (hellova alot cheaper to repair now) unless you really want to. Weapons loadout is more a playstyle thing. Ask yourself what role you end up in. Than dig around the forums and get some ideas.

#29 SnowConeMan

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

losing my sh*t at "trollomando". sounds like a good choice, but going really really fast and ankle biting heavy's was a decent tactic in mw1-4. going with that, hope the same still applies. thanks for the advice guys. (Yep, mech 1 player= your grandpa).

Edited by SnowConeMan, 03 January 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#30 MechWarrior86

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Such helpful posts! XD

#31 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Or, just get a Catapult. No matter which variant you choose, you can have an overpowered build.

#32 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Use this as your base template. It has full armor -2 points, 250std engine, Endo, DHS and AMS/1t, leaving you 17 tons to arm/equip however you want. Regardless of loadout, your base platform will be nearly identical. If you wind up needing another .5 ton to work with to round out tonnage, take 8 off each leg. A 250 holds 10 internal heatsinks, that with DHS count at 2.0, saving you tonnage/slots for other equipment. Put ammo in your legs/ballistic arm, but not torsos/head. Smurfy's mechlab tool is your friend...

#33 Treehugger

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

My vote's on the Hunchback -4P. Eight mediums with TAG, STD 260, DHS. Hasn't failed me once.

#34 Terran123rd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lumberjack
  • The Lumberjack
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'm going to be different and suggest the Commando COM-1B. 3 medium lasers, an SRM 4, 1 ton of SRM ammo, endo steel, and 14 single heat sinks. It'll run cool even on Caustic and it makes an excellent ankle biter and harasser, even if you keep the stock engine.

It's not a brawler though, so don't pick it if the thought of playing a ninja doesn't appeal to you.

#35 Even Dark

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

I started with comandos and play 3 of them too elite.

they are cheap same the weapons or upgrades.

Finally i make good money with them.

#36 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

View PostTerran123rd, on 06 January 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

I'm going to be different and suggest the Commando COM-1B. 3 medium lasers, an SRM 4, 1 ton of SRM ammo, endo steel, and 14 single heat sinks. It'll run cool even on Caustic and it makes an excellent ankle biter and harasser, even if you keep the stock engine.

It's not a brawler though, so don't pick it if the thought of playing a ninja doesn't appeal to you.

The ECM carrying -2D is the only one that won't be wrecked when streaks appear. Fun fact, a Commando can be killed by 1 AC/20 shot to the CT, front or back.(Confirmed: Yesterday in my Hunchback)

Edited by Stingz, 07 January 2013 - 04:46 AM.

#37 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

I seriously wouldn't recommend a Commando as the first mech.
I mean i love my tiny trollmandos a lot, but they are far from easy to play.

If you want a first mech take a medium, or maybe a heavy.

Hunch or Catapult i would say.

#38 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

Raven 3L. The only Mech you will need. Ever.

#39 Tzukasa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

I would say go with a hunchback 4p/4sp/4h but the more I've been playing different things the more I'm realizing that medium's are pointless sadly. I mean they are cheaper and get the job done, so for a first mech its not bad but when you get right down to it they are completely obsoleted by dragons and even catapult's once they are maxed.

Yah its pretty expencive to do but once you get an XL engine for your dragon or cat you go just as fast if not FASTER than a hunchback with just as much or MORE firepower and a Hell of alot more armor. I mean my dragon goes 104 kph, my 4sp does 89. My dragon has 2 med/2 large and srm6 which is about equal to the 4sp but the dragon has like 100 more armor on top of all that extra speed. Even the catapult, mine goes 86 kph, only 3 less than the hunch.. but has ALOT more firepower And again like 100 more armor... Just not alot of point to the medium's end game and you Never see vets use them in 8 man's only nubs. Something to think about. Might be better to just skip the medium's and jump into the heavy's.

#40 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

But that is not how matches are (or should) be balanced. If you are in a medium, the other team has a medium so you should only compare the hunchback with other mediums. If you fit out a catapult to run 86 km/h the other team might very well have a heavy with double your firepower ;-)

All in all i think the hunchback-4SP is an awesome mech. It is very usefull straight out of stock and can easely upgrade while you are playing with it. Only thing to change after purchase is, as mentioned before, to have a good look at the armor distribution. The back is really weak...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users