Need Piltoing Advice For Hbk-4Sp

22 replies to this topic

#1 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

I've been in beta since August, and have spent a lot of time driving a RVN-4X. Some matches I thought I did well, some I thought I was horrible. Just recently (as in the last week or so) something finally clicked and I figured out how to effectively pilot it. I was keeping the enemy lights busy (and chipping away at them), keeping them away from our heavies, and lasting long into the match. I wasn't really getting that many kills (although my K/D was getting closer to 1 because I died a lot less), but my W/L ratio was steadily climbing.

As I started to rack up CB, I was debating between a HBK-4SP or a DGN-1N for my next mech. I did pretty well in the trial Dragon and like the speed. But, I decided I'd just step up to a medium and try a Hunchback instead. I'd seen a some good posts about the 4SP lately, and I liked it's hardpoint setup and the fact that it didn't have 1, big, "shoot me hear" hunch. So I bought it.

I played a few matches with the stock loadout, and the swapped out the SRM6's for SSRM's, an extra heatsink, AMS, and a MLAS in place of the SLAS. So far, I have been down right horrible. I'm rarely getting damage over 150, and I'm quite often one of the first to die. I'm trying to stay with an assault (if I see one that isn't a trial Atlas), but even when I do, I find that I almost immediately have a Cat and another Hunchback circling me, tearing me apart and eventually coring me.

One thing I think is that I'm not used to the slow speed and I no longer have the ability to engage and disengage at my will. By switching to ES and dropping the AMS, a heatsink, and a MLAS, I can put in a STD 240 and get myself up to 77kph. I think that might help a little.

Any other suggestions? Either specific to my situation or general HBK-4SP piloting advice is appreciated.

#2 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

My biggest tip, coming from someone who's only good in a 4SP so far, would be to never ever show your back to an enemy. Unless you changed your armor layout, your back is incredibly weak.

Also, you could try out a LLAS instead of a MLAS, to see if perhaps you'll do a little better over distance.

Personally I like to fight on all front, so I'm running 1x LLAS, 2x MPLAS, 2x SSRM and its been treating me very well so far. I might not be the biggest damage dealer, but I can fight on every front

#3 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostCleverbird, on 15 November 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

My biggest tip, coming from someone who's only good in a 4SP so far, would be to never ever show your back to an enemy. Unless you changed your armor layout, your back is incredibly weak. Also, you could try out a LLAS instead of a MLAS, to see if perhaps you'll do a little better over distance. Personally I like to fight on all front, so I'm running 1x LLAS, 2x MPLAS, 2x SSRM and its been treating me very well so far. I might not be the biggest damage dealer, but I can fight on every front

I like the LLAS idea. That will allow me to engage from a little further away at first and get a feel for what's going on...

Thanks.

#4 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Honestly play your SP the same as the Raven only you can choose any target to chip away at. I recommend spending the CBills on upgrading to Endo, DHS, and a bigger engine.

People are focusing you because the HBK-4SP is actually really dangerous (50 Alpha) and loads of people are playing them at the moment.

I now shamelessly link my 4SP build. http://www.mechspecs....php?152-******

#5 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostAware, on 15 November 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

Honestly play your SP the same as the Raven only you can choose any target to chip away at. I recommend spending the CBills on upgrading to Endo, DHS, and a bigger engine. People are focusing you because the HBK-4SP is actually really dangerous (50 Alpha) and loads of people are playing them at the moment. I now shamelessly link my 4SP build. http://www.mechspecs....php?152-******

I'd love to play it the same as I played the Raven, which is why I'm in agreement that I need a bigger engine. Maybe I'll grind out more CB with my Raven until I have a few million CB for ES, DHS, and the bigger engine.

#6 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

The hunchbacks need speed. The first thing I did to mine was to add an XL260 engine. You can use the standard one, but then you'll need endo steel internals for it to work.

#7 Krazzee

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

I had trouble with my 4SP at first too, but after a bit of configuration and proper teamwork I've won matches with 5 kills and 3 assists at times. It's all about feeling out the situation, stay with a group but behind cover until things develop. Once fights are going on, swoop in and find a target to focus team fire on. With the lasers and SRMs you can devastate an enemy and then pull a u-turn and begin launching hell on someone else. Don't let them see your back, try and soak with your arms if you can. Remember, you always got the shoulder and head slot :wacko:

Also, by the by, if you do get into a group, try and install a TAG in your head slot. Best thing I ever did for my brawler, as we have to stay in visual close contact range to attack anyway, and it helps loads with LRMs, and a bit with tightening up SRMs and a slight accuracy increase to Streaks. If you want a loadout configuration or more tips, feel free to ask :P

#8 Merrick King

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

I run my 4SP with a Std 230 Engine, Endo Steel, Double Heatsinks, 5 MLAS and 2 SRM6 and an AMS system.
Small trick you might not know: store your ammo in the legs. Leaves the torso completely free for DHSs.

With the Elite training unlock, you just barely break 80 KPH at a full run.

I have the MLAS on each arm grouped, then the head MLAS on its own with the twin SRM6 linked. Giving up the twin SRM6 on the 4SP gives up the chassis' haymaker. I can core an Atlas from behind with three good salvos of missles and lasers. I can rip arms off Mediums and Heavys with only a couple salvos.

Another advantage is that my armor is almost maxed with only a couple points missing on the legs.

As has been said, battlefield awareness is key. Know what you're strong against and what you can't take. You can't go toe-to-toe with an SRM Catapult or an Atlas, but if they're engaging someone else, take the opportunity to tear into their backs. I always go for back armor. Not only does it draw the heat off your allies because now the enemy has to engage on multiple fronts, but you also stand a better chance of dropping your target outright.

Also be cautious about being pulled into the thick of a fight. If you get surrounded, you will die. No way to protect that rear armor if they're all around you.

#9 Infavol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I recommend running 2xsrm6s,and SPL for up in ur face blasting

#10 Xenophontis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

I've been playing < a week and the 4SP was the first Mech I bought. I am currently running:

Endo
DHS
250 Standard
Artemis + 2 SRM6's
4x MLs
Standard Armor configuration

I get around 400-600 damage on average now with around 2 -3 kills and 4 assists. I like to play a hit and run/vulture kind of brawler. with 81 KM/H (no exp upgrade) I can get in and out of tight spots fairly quickly and my high armor values allow me to take a beating. At the start I hang back with my assaults and supports, occasionally scouting ahead for enemy formations. I always relay positioning to my team via the grid.

In fights I take 1 of 2 approaches:

1) Single out a slow moving heavy and flank them. I really enjoy fighting Catapaults (non-gauss el oh el) because my SRM6's destroy the **** out of their ears and sides. I usually try to strike from the rear and take advantage of my higher speeds to weave in and out of cover. Poking with missiles and occasional lasers bursts when I get the chance.

2) My other tactic is just straight out fire frenzy. When the lines break and **** hits the fan I just pop this poppy into full speed and run around. I make sure to fire my SRM6s at any target that is close enough to take the full blast and use my 4 lasers to shear off any damaged parts from enemies. I basically work as a big battle precision amputation master. If I am going for an arm, I fire my SRm6's when I am too their side, so the arm takes all the damage. Legs? same deal. I always make sure my full combo hits in one precise shot. My goal is to disable as many components as possible so my heavy hitting team mates can waltz in and blast them all to hell.

Keep in mind:
your back armor is very weak, don't get cornered or flanked.

Your arm reach is excellent, when running you can easily turn slightly to one side and swivel back, hitting and enemy with all 4 lasers. I've killed dozens of lights this way, and even managed to take of enemy arms and legs while they are chasing me.

But of course the number one rule: have fun. Find something that works for you and stick to it. Took me a few games to find my niche.

#11 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

View Postmalibu43, on 15 November 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

I played a few matches with the stock loadout, and the swapped out the SRM6's for SSRM's, an extra heatsink, AMS, and a MLAS in place of the SLAS. So far, I have been down right horrible. I'm rarely getting damage over 150, and I'm quite often one of the first to die. I'm trying to stay with an assault (if I see one that isn't a trial Atlas), but even when I do, I find that I almost immediately have a Cat and another Hunchback circling me, tearing me apart and eventually coring me.

One thing I think is that I'm not used to the slow speed and I no longer have the ability to engage and disengage at my will. By switching to ES and dropping the AMS, a heatsink, and a MLAS, I can put in a STD 240 and get myself up to 77kph. I think that might help a little.

Speed will help but it is not the solution. With a stock 200, you should be fine.

I can think of two improvements. To use streaks you have to keep looking at your target. This exposes your torso. To avoid that you should switch back to the SMR6. You can then turn in, alpha, and turn away and piddle on them with your arm lasers. This means your arms will catch a good amount of the damage.

The other thing might be to wait back a little longer. Your lasers have a maximum range of 500 meters and a max effect at 270 so you have a long range to play with. Use that range until the fight has actually become a brawl. Once people start brawling you wont receive that much focus fire.

#12 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

More great advice! Thanks!

So I think tonight I'll put the SRM6's back on there. I really love the punch those things pack. While I haven't been very good overall, I did have a round on Forest Colony where I got behind an Atlas and launch volley after volley of SRM's and MLAS into his back, eventually coring him.

I'll try to stay back a little longer for a while. In the meantime, I'll save up some CB for ES and DHS so that I can drop a STD 255 in at some point. Or better yet a 250 which should allow me to keep the stock loadout and max out armor.

Edited by malibu43, 15 November 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#13 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

It's a bit advanced with the SRMs, but they tend to have a convergence of ~135 and ~270 meters. This means if you wanted to target a component on a mech, but they're at range, those are the distances you want to wait for before firing into your target. It looks like this.

Firing point blank works, too, but it's helpful to know this about SRMs if you're a cheapskate when it comes to artemis :D

#14 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Big thing is your tactics. Don't brawl against anything you can't smash, if you're outnumbered get behind cover and start going evasive.
Use cover, use flanking routes, and whenever possible save your SRM ammo for close-range blasts, preferably to the rear.
I have killed many atlases by walking up behind them as they fought and unloading a 50pt alpha into their rear armor, followed by a second one shortly thereafter.

Tip on using cover, if you're being chased my multiple mechs, say a hunch and a catapult: get behind cover, then stop and turn, the faster of the two will come straight around the corner and you can give him a face full of alpha before continuing past his rear (and making him turn around) and giving the other chasing mech a face full of hurt.
Continue this until someone is dead, you've got a decently long weapon cooldown, so I find this style of "jousting" works much better than the usual circling, especially with SRM6s.

Edited by One Medic Army, 15 November 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#15 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

This thread here, has some very good advice on building and running a 4SP

http://mwomercs.com/...-the-bulldozer/

Edited by HlynkaCG, 15 November 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#16 Wildhound

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

I love the 4SP, but it is not a game changer.

What I mean by that is, if the teams are evenly matched, you can do a hell of a lot of damage and deal out the most damage on the team. However, I play PUGS, and if your team is getting overrun, there is nothing you can do with a 4SP to change that.

So it's a mech where you have to take the rough with the smooth, there are certain types of battles where you will be superbly effective if you use cover carefully and take up a role in support of your bigger brothers. If the enemy get split up, then you're in for a real party because with a standard 250 engine you have enough speed to track them all over the map and keep them in the range where you're most effective (200 - 300m). When this happens you can easily rack up a few kills.

My own experience has been that I haven't been getting a lot of kills with it, but I'm pretty much consistently in the top 2 or 3 damage dealers on my team. Just don't forget to use your SRMs, they're really good at taking off arms and shoulders!

#17 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

View PostSelfish, on 15 November 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

It's a bit advanced with the SRMs, but they tend to have a convergence of ~135 and ~270 meters. This means if you wanted to target a component on a mech, but they're at range, those are the distances you want to wait for before firing into your target. It looks like this.

Firing point blank works, too, but it's helpful to know this about SRMs if you're a cheapskate when it comes to artemis :)

Tip of the month. Thank you so much for this.

#18 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

i had to **** mine abit to get the best out of it

first off. endo skele
second. double heat sinks
weapon load out
4x medium lasers
2x SRM6's
and as much ammo as pos :)

with six DHS you'll get a 1.23 heat efficiency

then weapon grp your 4 lasers to 2. 1 grp per arm.
if you do this you can shoot around stuff when needed
the srm6's are always good at close range XD

edit
also a 245 engine not a XL just a normal one lol
the extra speed really makes this mech shine XD

also AMS with 1 ton of ammo

Edited by Demoned, 15 November 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#19 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Again thanks everyone for the tips. I played a little last night and this morning. My K/D is still trending downward, but I survived a quite a few more matches and saw my W/L improve. It also helped to get with some good guys on TS this AM.

View PostWildhound, on 15 November 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

I love the 4SP, but it is not a game changer. What I mean by that is, if the teams are evenly matched, you can do a hell of a lot of damage and deal out the most damage on the team. However, I play PUGS, and if your team is getting overrun, there is nothing you can do with a 4SP to change that. ...

^ this seems to be very true. Especially since I PUG a lot. Once things start to go south in a PUG, I find I'm surrounded, stripped, and cored very quickly no matter what my initial strategy was.

#20 Chacotay

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Upgrading to a STD250 is great - I find that with 81kmph, I can get in and out when I need, and enough maneuverability to duck and weave buildings. I've heard people say mount XL's or larger STD's for more speed, but I think it'd be *too* fast then... your torso can only turn so fast.

Really I find the key to this build is teamwork. Either get on TS so you're running in a group (then it's almost a guaranteed win against any PUG match), or even if you're on your lonesome, saddle up to a heavy and see what happens. The SP was never meant to be a solo mech - it gets taken out too fast for that! If you can partner with, say, an atlas, and let him take the hits, then that frees you up to do some devastating damage from a flank or the rear while everyone is focussing on the assault mech. Priority targets will obviously be the ones with the most danger to your assault friend, and with this build you can melt mechs pretty quick if they've sustained battle damage.

If you honestly do need to go it alone, find yourself an overconfident atlas or other heavy - the biggest the mech, the easier time you'll have out manevering it - so *don't stand still*! Avoid the front of the mechs (as this is where the hurt is kept), and use your arms to your advantage (the hunchback can fire its arm-lasers in almost 180 degrees!).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users