Breaking Mw3&4 Habits And Mwo Thoughts

3 replies to this topic

#1 Fox Fire

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

My new video card is flawless and not a noticeable glitch of lag other than another player perhaps due to their connection or the server.

Ok so I went right into it. Using the light, medium and heavy mechs, avoiding the Atlas for now. There are a number of things that urked me, its beta, we’re working on it, so here is my constructive criticism.

AC10/20 fire:
when I click to fire, there is a very noticeable delay in the actual shot. I thought it was “lag” or delay, so I stopped and fired successive shots and they all responded the same way. Is that deleberate or is it a known issue?

Lasers:
four (4) Medium lasers on a standard Catapult chassis. One shot makes 39-40% heat in an artic environment and took approximately 25 some odd seconds to cool down. I didn’t get specific into this as I came under fire too quickly both times. This was the same in and out of water. I remember playing Mech Warrior, yes the Dos version, with my good old Jenner and not having to worry about its 4 ML over heating that fast.

Laser Physics:
I hate, HATE HATE MW3. That game has fused my mind to think what a Laser and Pulse laser should fire like. A normal laser is a .5 second burst that is there and gone, quick and done. A pulse laser is a Pulsing continual stream, not a Gatling or multi burst. I can hold down a pulse laser attack until the energy drains then I have to wait for it to recharge or just fire short beaming bursts if a target moves off. Not one Mech warrior game keeps the laser physics the same and is a staple weapon in MW. The lasers here at MWO seem to be a cross between the two. You fire a laser and it keeps firing uncontrollably. If your mech’s foot hits a drop off your 300 meter target gets a laser hit from head to toe. The “pulse” laser in MWO is like a burst laser. It seems to emit faster and in quicker increments. The amount of realism is the issue. If I took my pen laser pointer and walked in a straight line, the dot is going all over the place. I would be more comfortable with a quicker laser “flash” than a uncontrollable 2-3 second attack. I would love the physics of the MW3 pulse laser, but yea.

Missiles:
I still don’t know how to use them in MWO. In MW3 and MW4 I selected the weapon group that the Missiles were on, hovered my crosshair over the target and in 2-5 seconds I got a lock and fired. I remember, “hoping I selected weapons group 3” on the catapult and hovered over a target 700m or so away for a long time. Definition of a long time: I was on the top of a hill and ran to the edge of the water until I was in range of his alpha strike and it then decided to lock on. This is with a Stock mech so I don’t know if an ARTIMIS system will help, as I can’t adjust anything on the trial mechs.

Weapon groups:
I went back to play MW4 and the way I got used to the weapon groups was firing with one button and selecting with another. I tried this in MWO to find there is no “select next weapon’s group” option, just to fire the selected groups. I also don’t see group fire or, what is it called, chain fire? When over heating was an issue, chain fire saved my bacon and burned theirs. Again, not an option I can find.

Targeting:
Again, I’m sorry but I haven’t looked too much into this, but auto targeting. This may be my problem with missile lock ons to just hitting targets in general. I remember someone saying that locking on or just targeting an enemy mech gets your weapons to hold their lock even if you get railed with weapons fire. This may be a key problem I’m running into hitting targets. Though watching other mech warriors when I’m dead, I see the same results in their targeting.

Additional question:
Is the static trial mechs to reduce server load time or because this is beta? I see the logic with keeping every aspect of the trial mechs the same to best trouble shoot graphic, sound, and weapon issues, but was this deliberate? (unable to alter weapon groups in the mech lab and changing trial mech weapons)

What was used as a basis off the mechs, the stats? Did you used old battletech manuals or something else?

Edited by Fox Fire, 15 November 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#2 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Read the pinned threads here..http://mwomercs.com/...orum/4-welcome/ and here...http://mwomercs.com/...orum/94-guides/ they will answer most, if not, all of your questions.

#3 Trynn

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

HI

IN regards to AC fire, at this time the delay is there, we are hoping it gets fixed with the netcode

Missiles (LRMS) should only take a few seconds to lock onto your selected target. (aka it has a red box around it) hold your reticle over it you will get the circles they turn red, you fire.

Weapons groups:

you can set them up up to 6 with a specific key our button attaches to fire, for example My left mouse is group 1, right group 2, thumb buttong Group 3. use your arrow keys and right Control button to set groups, chain fire for a grouping can be set by highlighting the group you want (with afore mention arrow keys) and hitting backspace (iirc) and you will have that group set in chain fire mode. remember to always set the highlight bar cack to group 1

Targeting, for missile locks you need to "target your opponet" I have my target select set to my tab key, dont recall the default, otherwise you do not need to have your opponet selected, It is see mech, aim at mech, fire at mech, rinse and repeat, Incoming dmanage to you will cause a "shaking" on your screen but does not alter your point of aim, so you can continue to blast away at your opponent should you choose.

Trial Mechs:

They are there to allow playes to check out diffent mechs for free escecially those that are joining the game now and did not purchase a founders pack from the closed beta. they give you the option of alternating the mechs you play until you can purchase your own mech and begin to tinker with them. 2-14million Cbills depending on the mech.

#4 Fox Fire

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

As always, thank you for the comments and direction. Time to read.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users