Finally A Good Build For Hunchback Hbk-4G!

39 replies to this topic

#1 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

After trying out >50 builds for HBK-4G (the junk HBK model), I discovered this amazing build!

HBK-4G (Frankenhunch)
2 Large Lasers
1 Medium Laser
Anti-Missile System (1 ton ammo)
Standard 260 Engine 84.2 kph!!
Double Heat Sink (16 heat sinks)
Endo Steel Chassis
Reduce armor by 0.5 tons

Don't play this like a medium, play it like a Jenner, keep running around at 84.2 kph spamming your lasers.
A 23 point laser salvo, the ability to hit up to 450 meters, heat efficiency and fantastic speed of 84.2 kph make gives this a 4G a playstyle completely unlike the stock model!
With this build, for the first time, I actually prefer the 4G to the superb 4P.

Edited by Leeroy Mechkins, 16 November 2012 - 04:05 AM.

#2 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

Heh, I tried that when I was scrambling for ways to make my HBK-G feel as useful as the 4SP and 4P. Except I had the standard engine in it because I'M CHEAP (in retrospect, I have no idea why I didn't just barrow the 245 out of my SP and P, heh, dur). Laser-blazin was fun for awhile. I always enjoyed watching people pick at the hump seemingly oblivious to the fact that it was empty and I was melting them with lasers.

In the end though, it just wasn't effective enough. Maybe you get more mileage from it with the added speed but I felt like it didn't specialize enough. Felt more like a Cent, useful, capable, but lacking that Hunchie Punch. I ended up slapping the Gauss Cannon into the shoulder and learning to make the most of it.

Defiantly another option though if you are frustrated with your HBK-G's performance and dislike ballistics!

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

I field mine with twin AC/5's and medium lasers. It's an able sniper and damaging enough to be useful in a brawl as well, as the twin AC's put out a surprising amount of damage over time.

I tried the twin large laser setup but didn't find heat management to be to my liking, and the low-to-the-ground firing position of the large lasers was annoying. To each their own, though. :)

#4 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

I just stick to the original armement but I use the following...

Ferro-Fibrous
Endo-Steel
Double Heat Sinks (10 Internal)
250 Standard Engine (81 Kph)
CASE w/ 4 Tons of AC/20 Ammo

I like the AC/20. The trick to making it work is hanging back till you find a weakened or occupied target and use this builds speed to strike quickly and fade back to the safety of your allies. Run too far out though and you will find yourself alone/dead quickly. Keep your eyes on your surroundings and your map to make sure your still among friends. :o

#5 Vallyn

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 65 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

I use this build occasionally - except drop the ML and put in 3xMG for the giggles of spamming them when you're in a brawl.

The two LL are quite effective and put out a lot of damage so long as you watch your heat.

#6 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostVallyn, on 16 November 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

I use this build occasionally - except drop the ML and put in 3xMG for the giggles of spamming them when you're in a brawl.

The two LL are quite effective and put out a lot of damage so long as you watch your heat.

How effective are MGs now? They used to be junk.
Worth a try I suppose.

#7 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

I use same, but drop to a std 245 and shove in 3x MG with 1ton of ammo and an AMS.
I think I'm at 15 DHS too.

I like using a pair of Larges on the arms for any hunchback with a "hunch" makes it easier to hit and run using arm mobility, and a much more dangerous zombie hunch.

The 3 MGs are mainly for annoyance/heckling and the cool sound they make. I have scored kills and taken off components with them though. Think I even managed to finish off an atlas with them once.

#8 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

View PostLeeroy Mechkins, on 17 November 2012 - 12:50 AM, said:

How effective are MGs now? They used to be junk.
Worth a try I suppose.

They're about the same as they ever were. Poor man's crit seekers. You need 125 crits (4.2 seconds of pure critting) to destroy one item (10HP). It'll roughly take 3 MGs at least 5-15 seconds of sustained fire on one component to really knock something out. If the opponent doesn't have a high critical slotted item like an AC20, then your MGs won't have a real noticeable effect. They'll spread small critical damage over a diverse area within a component.

The actual MG buff is in the works, along with some of the ballistics. Until then they at least sound fantastic.

#9 DerSpecht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

i've seen a DEVs statement where they mentioned giving some love to the bigger ACs. So if they actually balance them this variant could get interesting with AC20 again.

#10 Outfoxed

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

3 AC/2s! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA iz ur fwend!

#11 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

View PostVafer, on 17 November 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

3 AC/2s! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA iz ur fwend!

Oh yeees, before the open-beta wipe it was my favourite.
And Hint - hunchie is in principal effective only when you play it as a light.

Edited by Sandro Mc, 17 November 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#12 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

View PostSandro Mc, on 17 November 2012 - 06:01 AM, said:

Oh yes and Hint - hunchie is effective is in principal effective only when you play it as a light.

I agree. There isn't much of a point to a medium mech if you aren't going faster than a Heavy mech.
And a Catapult can already travel as fast as a stock Hunchback and carry more firepower and armor.

Also, autocannons now have a very big disadvantage. They take up so much space they often prevent DHS, endo or ferro upgrades. In comparison lasers take up no space for ammo and quite little (1-3 slots) for the weapon. This enables all-laser builds to use multiple upgrades (such as DHS+Endo), resulting in good heat efficiency and/or the weight to take faster engines.

This is why my hunchback build focuses on 1) mad speed, 2) lasers.

Edited by Leeroy Mechkins, 17 November 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#13 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

I like running the 4G in Pro-Stock as I call it. Upgrade the chassis to endosteel, add DHS, AMS + Atom of ammo. 3 Med Las, then AC-20 with 3-4 tons ammo. The DHS prety much eliminates the heat issues, and the additional ammo and ams vastly improves survivability.

In combat just find an Atlas to keep company and hammer whatever comes his way. Just protect your AC and act as the hammer to your Atlas' anvil.

#14 deejayburnout

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

Recently bought one of these and hated it at first.

Now have 2 AC5 and a med laser. Ideal for sniping but not much else. Not the greatest but better than nothing.

#15 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostSennin, on 16 November 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

I just stick to the original armement but I use the following...

Ferro-Fibrous
Endo-Steel
Double Heat Sinks (10 Internal)
250 Standard Engine (81 Kph)
CASE w/ 4 Tons of AC/20 Ammo

This, in essence.

At least until the MG buff comes through, then I'll probably alternate between this and a 3MG/<energy weapons> build. But in all honesty, nothing else I've tried in the Founder's-G is as good as the above. 89.1kph talented, 2ML and 1SL in support. 0 heat problems. Basically just go Endo/DHS/Ferro, drop in the STD250, the AC20, and add the rest to taste.

AC20 is more about timing and positioning than it is about aim, and in a 4G that's completely exacerbated.

Edited by Bagheera, 17 February 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#16 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

You can go Endo, Ferro an 250-260 engine and STILL have room for an AC20 and a full compliment of lasers, as others have said.
Heat is not an issue, as your 10 in-engine heatsinks count as true doubles, and ACs don't cost much heat.

Though to be fair, the 4H does it better. Mine is 89kph and packs an AC20 with 2 MLAS and 3 grouped SLAS. The hunch is also smaller.

The 4G is the the only hunch variant I can't get to work properly.
Hell, the 4J can even do relatively well as an LRM platform with good laser backup.

Slapping on a couple large lasers doesn't really do it for me.
A Cent-AL can do that, but also have a shield arm, be able to zombie much better, and even have missiles.

Edited by Ravennus, 17 February 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#17 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostRavennus, on 17 February 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

You can go Endo, Ferro an 250-260 engine and STILL have room for an AC20 and a full compliment of lasers, as others have said.
Heat is not an issue, as your 10 in-engine heatsinks count as true doubles, and ACs don't cost much heat.

I'm having a hard time fitting all this without dropping a shitload of armor.
Going to guess that you're not equipping an AMS with this one, right?

#18 daehawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Im still looking for a good build myself. right now Im running a Standard 250 engine, 2 mlasers, 1 ams with 1 ton ammo, 1 ac20 with 3 tons , double heatsinks just what came in engine, and full armor except a bit off in legs.

#19 Lege

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

There is no good build for the ballistic hunchies. If machine guns ever get fixed and they can ever run faster than a cata, then they might be useful. I did like the feel of 3xmg and 3xmpl, but mg needs some love to make it work.

#20 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

I run the basic 4G but with Standard 250 engine and speed tweak I go 89 kph. I can run up on hurt enemies and POW with AC 20 and 2 medium lasers. Than I pull back when the heat is too much into the group or cover. Rinse repeat. Just have to wait for your moment to strike. Mine carries 21 shots of AC 20. I also use a AMS which is nice for LRMS and some SRMs. Sometimes I run this with my Standard 260 engine so I go 92.7kph with tweak but I have to drop armor or something like AMS for the weight.

I really love my hunchbacks. They seem to be the only mech I can do well in so far.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users