59 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Catapult CPLT-K2 Dual AC20 Quad Medium Laser Build (why call it anything else?)

This pretty much packs a very deadly close-range punch so you'll be very at home in tight places such as cities and caves. Your Alpha strike is good for around 60 damage (40 from dual AC, 20 from quad medlas) and you can probably get around 3 of these off before shutting down.

The best part about the build is the flexibility. First of all, if you are unsure about taking a shot, you can use your quad medium lasers. They deal respectable damage and use up no ammo. The build also has enough double heat sinks to use these frequently. You are also assured of having weapons to use even if you run out of ammo.

The dual AC20s can be fired constantly thanks to DHS, but this build only packs 4 tons of ammo meaning you only have 14 dual AC20 shots. From experience, it's more than enough though. You also have back up weapons in case there is an extended fight.

The bad part is that all your weapons have a range of 270 meters. The good news is you probably won't miss your targets at that range. The build is pretty simple. Use ML for unsure shots or when you run out of ammo, use AC20 when you get a good shot, use AC20+ML alpha if you have a very good shot.

The engine was downgraded so this moves at 49 kph. It's not so bad since it's still slightly faster than an Atlas.
Posted Image

Here's a small clip showing how quickly you can take something down. This is NOT a show of skill. The guy overheated and I just stood there and shot him. This is a modified K2 with 3 medium lasers and 1 TAG. I use the tag to lead my shots to find enemy lagshielded targets (it turns red if you are on target and costs no heat so just keep firing it 'til it turns red and that is where your enemy is)

As usual, feedback and criticisms are welcome. :)

Other References:

MECHWARRIOR ONLINE BUDGET SAVING TIPS / GUIDE (AS OF NOV 14)
Hunchback HBK-4SP (5x) Medium Laser (2x) SRM6
Atlas AS7-D-DC Budget ECM Assault
Atlas AS7-D-DC Alpha 85
Mechwarrior Meme Thread!

Edited by Elizander, 12 February 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#2 Sykris

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to try this build for a couple days now, even bought the K2. Just didn't know how to throw it together.

Moving under 50kph is kind of unsettling. Specially after running Jenners until Master. lol.

Guess I'll learn to follow the Atlas' as they trudge forward.

#3 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Yeah I can't see this build being particularly effective, all of the weapons are close-range, but it's speed will make closing distances difficult. Although, it may work as a support to an Atlas, as you say. Hmm, yeah, I'm not sure.

#4 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

Speed is no worry... by the time you notice these things on the field their already in range because you were hitting other targets, by then their fresh and just start 1shotting stuff like Guassapults that hold off until the last 8min then move in fresh to solo kill steal 5/8 targets for their K/D ratio. Particularly with the rush style of combat that 4man groups have made to the pug scene, it's easier to lose track of targets, or have others in your face before hand.

Still their weak to focus fire because their usually within range of alot more weaponry also, just need to identify and isolate them quickly. Saying that I've had an Atlas go head to head with one in a pass just so I could support his *** to death... he gave one for the team, well both of the 2 pre-made unit teams which made our side up of.

#5 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

View PostSykris, on 16 November 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to try this build for a couple days now, even bought the K2. Just didn't know how to throw it together.

Moving under 50kph is kind of unsettling. Specially after running Jenners until Master. lol.

Guess I'll learn to follow the Atlas' as they trudge forward.

I usually take cover and keep track of the radar. Once I see any assaults or heavy mechs closing in to brawling range, I go out. Most heavy mechs or less die in 5 seconds if you can double Alpha their CT.

View PostGreyrook, on 16 November 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

Yeah I can't see this build being particularly effective, all of the weapons are close-range, but it's speed will make closing distances difficult. Although, it may work as a support to an Atlas, as you say. Hmm, yeah, I'm not sure.

I usually wait for a good opportunity. Most games the enemy will close in. It's mostly a matter of picking where you will fight. It's a given that if you go out in the open you die. If you meet them in the cave however, it's a different story. :(

View PostApostal, on 17 November 2012 - 12:00 AM, said:

Speed is no worry... by the time you notice these things on the field their already in range because you were hitting other targets, by then their fresh and just start 1shotting stuff like Guassapults that hold off until the last 8min then move in fresh to solo kill steal 5/8 targets for their K/D ratio. Particularly with the rush style of combat that 4man groups have made to the pug scene, it's easier to lose track of targets, or have others in your face before hand.

Still their weak to focus fire because their usually within range of alot more weaponry also, just need to identify and isolate them quickly. Saying that I've had an Atlas go head to head with one in a pass just so I could support his *** to death... he gave one for the team, well both of the 2 pre-made unit teams which made our side up of.

The trick is to hang back yet not too long. If you can go out when the enemy picks their targets and before your team takes too much damage, then I'd say that's a successful entry into the fight. I usually follow the team but hide behind a hill or something for the first 10 seconds of a brawl. I had a ton of AC20s from buying Atlases so I decided to give this a go instead of Gausscat. I'm finding it quite fun so far.

#6 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

Why have you named your K2 "LRMBOAT"?

#7 Cataphract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

If you know what you're doing then this setup is devastating to anything in range period. The only time you need to even shoot your MLAS is when the armor gets stripped from your first AC20 volley or when you run out of ammo. Every map has ways to make a Dual AC20 CAT useful and DHS mean on almost any map you can fire whenever the hell you feel like.

#8 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

View PostWaddeHaddeDudeda, on 17 November 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

Why have you named your K2 "LRMBOAT"?

It's quite a sad story. He was supposed to be an A1 model but there was a sudden power surge when his LRM launchers were being installed in the mech production line. The surge caused irreparable damage to his built-in guidance systems and the techs figured that it would cost too much to replace and rewire the controls to the LRM guidance system and decided that it was cheaper to cut their losses and trash him.

He was about to be scrapped when some engineers from a sister company came by. They asked why the Catapult was being shipped out in a bad state and they were told of what happened. They offered to take the broken model out of their hands and it would be cheaper since they didn't have to dispose of it. It ended up that the sister company got a new contract to produce K2 Catapults. The frame was still usable so they just dumped the guidance issue completely since the K2 uses no missiles. They just ripped the launchers off and wired it for the PPCs and it walked off their production line as their first K2.

He still wanted to be an LRM missile boat, but he knows that you can't have everything in life. He does well as a K2 now but he wanted to keep his original name to remind him that while one might not always achieve his or her dreams, there are always more dreams in your heart to follow so that you can move on.

#9 FromHell2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 734 posts
  • LocationGerm0ney

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostElizander, on 17 November 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

It's quite a sad story. He was supposed to be an A1 model but there was a sudden power surge when his LRM launchers were being installed in the mech production line. The surge caused irreparable damage to his built-in guidance systems and the techs figured that it would cost too much to replace and rewire the controls to the LRM guidance system and decided that it was cheaper to cut their losses and trash him.

He was about to be scrapped when some engineers from a sister company came by. They asked why the Catapult was being shipped out in a bad state and they were told of what happened. They offered to take the broken model out of their hands and it would be cheaper since they didn't have to dispose of it. It ended up that the sister company got a new contract to produce K2 Catapults. The frame was still usable so they just dumped the guidance issue completely since the K2 uses no missiles. They just ripped the launchers off and wired it for the PPCs and it walked off their production line as their first K2.

He still wanted to be an LRM missile boat, but he knows that you can't have everything in life. He does well as a K2 now but he wanted to keep his original name to remind him that while one might not always achieve his or her dreams, there are always more dreams in your heart to follow so that you can move on.

Best post ever..

------------

I realy like your build, but instead of useing ES I would try to run it with a XL Engine.. Just don't have the money to try this setup atm.

#10 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostFromHell2k, on 17 November 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

Best post ever..

------------

I realy like your build, but instead of useing ES I would try to run it with a XL Engine.. Just don't have the money to try this setup atm.

Endo is cheaper than XL and you can't use XL with AC20s in the side torsos. No crits left~

#11 Sykris

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

So here's my experience in this mech. It' FUN!

When I first started it, I dropped a 200 Standard in it and was using 2 AC/10's with 4 tonnes of ammo, 4 Med Lasers, and an AMS with 1 ton of ammo. I liked having the range of the AC/10's, let me force people to cover while I closed the distance.

Then I had enough Cbills to affrod the AC/20's and started following around my friend in his Atlas DDS. The joy of watching pieces fly off mechs. Definitly had to use cover to get in close but once you were there, you were taking someone with you and putting holes in other people before you went down.

So the pros to this build, does tons of damage once you're in close enough. Doesn't overheat too badly unless you roll your face on your keyboard.

The cons, 14 shots is scary, but it's hard to miss at 270 meters. You get caught alone, you're screwed. Just focus someone and hope they go before you do. Projectile speed is also kinda slow but that should change here soon. Until then, lead your targets!

Overall, I enjoy it. Might use the AC/10s for solo ques and the AC/20's for premades.

#12 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I actually wasn't lagging today (you know, 2 seconds before your guns actually fire, rubberbanding a bit, mechs teleporting around). I guess it's because it's a Sunday morning here? I should play more often around this time. Anyway, I'm really not that good at MWO and my connection averages at 325-350ms but it was pretty smooth today so I got a really nice game in.

1 enemy DC'd at the start but after the initial LRM exchange 3 of my team died. I was at the middle choke point hiding behind the wreckage and AC20ing a Hunchback and Atlas that were trying to charge in. Once they climbed up I'd hit them with dual ACs and they'd back off. They decided to circle around and it was close-range brawl time. The hunchies were the 64 kph variety so pretty much oneshot after they took light initial damage. Ran out of ammo 3 kills in and did the rest with mediums. All my torso armor was gone in the end due to having to fight off an Atlas and then a Streak Cat. Most of my ammo (6 out of 14 shots) was spent harassing at the start to prevent the enemy charge because we were down 3 guys to 2.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Not skill. I'll probably never get this score again. Just happy I got it. :D

Edit:

Replaced screenshot with blurred out names to avoid offending anyone. :)

Edited by Elizander, 17 November 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#13 Throbbinwood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

I use a slow dual AC20 K2 build and it has been VERY effective.

#14 Moonsavage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAylesbury, UK

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hmm, taking someone out of the fight with one hit isn't what this game is supposed to be about.
I understand that you're very clever - finding a super-effective build that lets you kill people quickly, but think for a moment how those people feel, when they join a game and are practically negated after your first salvo. Or if you like, think how you would feel if everyone in the game used the most efficient build and it was essentially a cat and mouse one hit kill game.

In Battletech, these weapons are supposed to be "rare" insomuch as to fit a mech with AC20s would be crazy expensive and the cost to replace them would reflect that.

I propose that Gauss, AC10 / AC20, LBX and all ER weapons should cost a load of C-Bills to repair.

This way, you min-maxers can have your deadly builds, but dying costs you money.
Elsewise, this game will be about reading the internet to find the best build, copying it then fighting other people who will 1-shot you if they get the drop on you. I don't want to play that game... Sorry.

I would say a list of exploity mechs as it stands is as follows:
Any Light mech that can run in a circle faster than a heavier mech can rotate.
Streak Cats
Dual Gauss Cats
Dual AC10 / 20 Cats
Triple AC Dragons.

Edited by Moonsavage, 18 November 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#15 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

View PostMoonsavage, on 18 November 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

Hmm, taking someone out of the fight with one hit isn't what this game is supposed to be about.
I understand that you're very clever - finding a super-effective build that lets you kill people quickly, but think for a moment how those people feel, when they join a game and are practically negated after your first salvo. Or if you like, think how you would feel if everyone in the game used the most efficient build and it was essentially a cat and mouse one hit kill game.

In Battletech, these weapons are supposed to be "rare" insomuch as to fit a mech with AC20s would be crazy expensive and the cost to replace them would reflect that.

I propose that Gauss, AC10 / AC20, LBX and all ER weapons should cost a load of C-Bills to repair.

This way, you min-maxers can have your deadly builds, but dying costs you money.
Elsewise, this game will be about reading the internet to find the best build, copying it then fighting other people who will 1-shot you if they get the drop on you. I don't want to play that game... Sorry.

Streak Cats
Dual Gauss Cats
Dual AC10 / 20 Cats
Triple AC Dragons.

Awwww....
b-u-t-t-h-u-r-t about people who find good builds?

Tough **** buddy. Guess what; those builds take skill to use. Something like this build, which, yes, CAN oneshot people, also has the decidely large disadvantage of being a catapult, and more specifically, a K2. People are used to K2s being "exploited", as you put it, and they tend to be priority targets, much like atlai are.
"Any light mech that can run in a circle faster than a heavier mech can rotate"
Seriously? You're gonna go there? That's basically the entire point of light mechs. To be the "paper" to the "rock" of heavier mechs.

"Streak Cats"
Royal pain, yes; even worse before they changed SSRMs to target more than just the center torso. Get used to it, and bombard them from outside their range.

"Dual Gauss Cats"
Also can be annoying, but they have a 4 second firing delay if they don't know how to alternate fire, and a 2 second one minimum if they time them perfectly. Relatively low alpha, compared to what some catapults can do, and their primary danger comes to people who don't know how to turn, or from the rare gausscat pilot who picked it as a sniping mech because they can actually snipe with it.

"Dual AC10/20 Cats"
*See previous comparisons*

"Triple AC Dragons"
You might as well ban triple AC hunchbacks. A hunchback-4G can fit 3x AC2, and it still does almost nothing. A dragon can just move a bit faster, and is 10 tons heavier. Whoop-dee-friggen'-do.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but I've seen enough of these posts to last me for the rest of my f***ing life at this point.
It's grating on my nerves quite a bit when someone asks a question or makes a post which has already been beaten well past its demise.

Also, if you complain about this stuff, you're REALLY gonna be pissed about the hardpoints on the Cataphract when it comes out it two days.
Suffice it to say, that some of these builds are transferable to Cataphract models. And they'll be more effective there.

Edited by Spirit of the Wolf, 18 November 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#16 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

View PostElizander, on 17 November 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

ALL THE FEELS

#17 FromHell2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 734 posts
  • LocationGerm0ney

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

View PostElizander, on 17 November 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Endo is cheaper than XL and you can't use XL with AC20s in the side torsos. No crits left~

Ah, okay. Didn't know that.. Seems like I have to farm a bit to try his build ^.^

#18 SplinterMD

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

There's something about seeing an Atlas speeding past you that just make me giggle, personally I had to play very patiently with this build , you are to slow to try to keep up with pretty much anything so out maneuvering someone in a brawl is a bit on an issue, been using it as an ambusher or a 2nd line fire support...

Very fun build +1

#19 Bagua

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

Yes, yes ...all ballistics are totally overpowered and need to be nerved!

As solution for overpowered weapon systems PGI should implement pink fluffy cotton balls as ammonition for ballistic weapons.

Streak Cats
Dual Gauss Cats
Dual AC10 / 20 Cats
Triple AC Dragons.

Yes, thoses mechs deffo should be removed from the game! Immediately!!!

Additionally all existing mechs should be replaced by the UM-R60 Urban mech with one ballistic hardpoint only. By default the Urbi could come with a light blue skin with a big white peace dove painted on the center torso.
Now the pink fluffy cotton ball ammo comes into play ... ;)

Meanwhile I sit in my 6x SRM6 A1 Cat and dream of the day when collisions are enabled again ...
A death in this mech is really expensive. Well, I do not care about the costs, the fun to kill an atlas with 3 salvos is worth the risk of dying. :o

Anyway, many of my deaths are expensive. Therefor you can buy premium-time and mechs like Yen-Lo-Wang.

Edited by Bagua, 19 November 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#20 Xelrah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

I use almost exact same build as this (2 medium lasers instead of 4 though, +2 tons of ac/20 ammo) for almost 2 weeks now. It is very effective with a good aim and if you don't get cought in the open.
It is especially fun if you get headshot. As long as it is in optimal range and target isn't an atlas it is 1 (well, 2 ac/20 rounds to be precise) hit kill.
I have 2 vids of it too, channel link is in signature if you bother to check.

Edited by Xelrah, 19 November 2012 - 07:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users