7 replies to this topic

#1 Wildhound

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

Hi guys,

I though I would share this build so someone else can enjoy it as much as I do.

Originally when I bought my 4SP, I copied the build in this thread. It's a great build and I would recommend it.

However, if you're like me and have ping of around 300, you might struggle to get the SRM6 on target. As much as I enjoy playing with that build, probably 1 in 3 of my SRMs were on target, so I decided to make a change and use LRM5 instead.

Upgrades:

Ferro Fibrous Armor: No.
Endo-Steel Internal Structure: Yes.
Double Heat Sink: Yes.
Artemis: No.

Loadout:

Head: Empty.
Left Shoulder: LRM 5, Double Heat Sink.
Right Shoulder: LRM 5, Double Heat Sink.
Left Arm: Medium Laser (2), Double Heat Sink (2).
Right Arm: Medium Laser (2), Double Heat Sink (2).
Centre Torso: Standard Engine 250.
Left Leg: LRM Ammo (2).
Right Leg: LRM Ammo (2).

Armor:

Head: 18/18.
CT: 54/64.
CTR: 10/64.
RT: 38/48.
RTR: 10/48.
LT: 38/48.
LTR: 10/48.
RA: 32/32.
LA: 32/32.
RL: 48/48.
LL: 48/48.

Mech Info:

Speed (KPH): 81 (87 /w Speed Tweak).
Tonnage: 49.6/50.
Firepower (Alpha Strike): 37.
Heat Efficiency: 1.3.
Armor - Standard: 338/338.

Usage:

Of course the key with this mech is to try and keep your opponents at range greater than 180m. Fortunately with decent speed, that's not a lot to ask. When you do get caught in very close quarters you still have the 4 medium lasers to deal some damage while you get some distance.

The advantage of this mech is that you can support players all over the map with the two banks of LRMs while moving fairly quickly to keep out of the firing line yourself. If you can engage targets at 300m, you can keep those lasers burning almost constantly because of the good heat efficiency.

Of course the alpha strike of this mech is lower than it would be with SRMs, but for some of us hitting with the SRMs is nearly impossible anyway due to lag. The LRMs will never miss if you're careful, so over the course of the battle you can actually deal a lot more damage. 4 tons of LRMs gives you a lot of salvos, so you are quite unlikely to run out if you only fire when you actually have a clear shot.

For me, changing to LRMs has made me instantly more effective, so I'm sure there are others out there who will have the same experience. I would stick with the SRMs if I could, but being in Australia my ping is never less than 270.

Give it a try if you like and let me know if it works for you!

#2 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

I am lvling hunchies to master atm and although all my mechs are brawlers i tried this on the 4j for some diversion. Works well enough imho, i could even fit a LRM10 and a LRM5 and still have no heat issues at all with the 4 med lasers.

Good alternative to standard 4sp builds if you want to run sommet else for a while.

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

I would probably prefer SSRM2s though.

#4 Wildhound

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

I tried it with the SSRM2s first, but I felt that they didn't do enough damage and they're very expensive.

#5 andrewkhlim

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

LRM15, SSRM2, 4 ML, has been working out if they don't pay a lot of attention. Of course my engine isn't a good so it's more of a support role.

#6 Chacotay

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

I've found that my SRM's only really do any damage if I'm going in a straight line with them, or managed to get up behind them. Really doesn't help that MWO doesn't have any Australian servers! I shall try this build once I get the Dozer up and running though, thanks!

#7 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

Seems like a good solution to your high ping problem.

I have to ask though, is there any way you can get a MLAS in the head? Maybe drop one of the LRM ammo packs or drop down to a 245 engine (although you would lose a freebie heat sink). I feel like it is the 5 MLAS build that really puts the HBK-4SP in another league as a brawler, even without the SRM6 packs. It lets you do awesome focused damage with a well aimed alpha strike, and stay in the fight after losing an arm or two. Zombie scrappyness is always nice, especially if all you have to fall back on is the LRMs.

#8 Chacotay

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

With the SP "lagback", I wouldn't bother with higher firepower... usually I rely off chained MLAS, using my SRM's when I get up close. With an inherent 250 ping, trying to target particular parts of a mech is rediculous unless you either get really good at leading your target (... I'm getting there), or are up against a stationary or large target (like an assault or heavy). An extra laser would be too much heat IMO, and I tend not to alpha unless I'm totally sure. Lag pretty much kills any ranged builds that rely on ballistics or lasers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users