Reminder: Please Report Suspected Suicide Farmers.

48 replies to this topic

#21 Alexa Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 505 posts
  • LocationSirius VI-A, Free Worlds League

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostBunz of Steel, on 17 November 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I don't get what is purposeful suicide running and just sucking.

I am new and get my shorts handed to me every time while maybe getting out 40 damage. Then I just quit and reload a different trial mech.

Is it bad that I do not hang around for the whole match? I need hours and hours of practice driving... so for sure I do not AFK... but I feel sorry for my team.

Dont worry it happens, most people that complain are the same that call you a "fu<king noob" in your first match because you did not know that you can stop capping by standing inside the "cap area". Dont worry, you will get better :huh:

Again, banning, name and shame posts do not solve the problem, they might fight the symptoms, but not the problem. Fix the economy, because that IS the problem.

Edited by Alexa Steel, 17 November 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#22 CannonFodder86

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 93 posts
  • LocationIn front of the cannon

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Once they identified the suicide farmers they should create a separate match making system for them(with no income of course). i'm sure those would be entertaining to spectate. lol

#23 Memory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNYC, NY

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 17 November 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

There's a reason naming and shaming isn't a good idea. Do that and you run the risk of turning r/mwo into r/starcraft where witchhunts happen even on the smallest rumour.

What's stopping someone from just making a post that [person I do not like] is doing something bad and then just doctoring up simple evidence?

[Also, the r/mwo community and the mwo forum community are pretty separate, like r/starcraft, the Blizzard forums and TeamLiquid if I have to use a Starcraft analogy again]

Here's my issue with this, and why it makes my blood boil: the devs don't seem to have the manpower or the interest in doing anything about it. I could enjoy this game so much more if cbill farmers and their ilk were not in it. Therefore, the community at large is the only group. that can do anything about it.

Keeping track of these people and reporting them whenever we see them do it is the only weapon we have against them. Would you have us just sit around and Let people ruin the game? Do you have any other suggestion as to how we can retaliate against cbill farmers and make sure they are stopped?

Edited by Memory, 17 November 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#24 Alexa Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostMemory, on 17 November 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

Here's my issue with this, and why it makes my blood boil: the development don't seem to have the manpower or the interest in doing anything about it. I could enjoy this game so much more if cbill farmers and their ilk were not in it. Therefore, the community at large are the only people that can do anything about it.

Keeping track of these people and reporting them whenever we see them do it is the only weapon we have against them. Would you have us just sit around and Let people ruin the game? Do you have any other suggestion as to how we can retaliate against cbill farmers and make sure they are stopped?

Wait until the economy is fixed. There is no other option, I could post your name on one of those "shameboards" who would prove me wrong? You see the problem?

Edited by Alexa Steel, 17 November 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#25 Allekatrase

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Here's my issue with this, and why it makes my blood boil: the devs don't seem to have the manpower or the interest in doing anything about it. I could enjoy this game so much more if cbill farmers and their ilk were not in it. Therefore, the community at large is the only group. that can do anything about it.

Also, what is the playerbase going to do about it? Are you going to teamkill the afkers or suicide farmers? That won't decrease their profits at all and won't accomplish anything.

#26 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

I would just like to point at r/starcraft. Just ignore the cbill farmers and treat it as a disconnect.

#27 Particle Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostAlexa Steel, on 17 November 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

Wait until the economy is fixed. There is no other option, I could post your name on one of those "shameboards" who would prove me wrong? You see the problem?

thats why you REPORT THEM TO THE DEVS. THEY HAVE THE RESOURCES TO SEE IF IT'S A LEGIT CLAIM. They can check that person's history and see if it's a regular thing or if they just got disconnected or whatever.

but i guess it's easier to cry about it on the forums about how it's a problem and then claim that you dont think it's a problem, even though you go on to explain how it's a problem in the same sentence.

but whatever, have your circlejerk non-protest that no one can hear.

#28 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostParticle Man, on 17 November 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

thats why you REPORT THEM TO THE DEVS. THEY HAVE THE RESOURCES TO SEE IF IT'S A LEGIT CLAIM. They can check that person's history and see if it's a regular thing or if they just got disconnected or whatever.

but i guess it's easier to cry about it on the forums about how it's a problem and then claim that you dont think it's a problem, even though you go on to explain how it's a problem in the same sentence.

Yeah, it's not like the GMs are going to ban someone the moment they have a low-damage match. If the person is repeatedly reported, however, they can look for patterns of behavior.

But, without us reporting, then it won't happen.

#29 Alexa Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostParticle Man, on 17 November 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

What are you talking about? I dont even care about AFKs or Farmers xD

#30 shabowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

All they need to do is tweak down the money you get so you start in a slight hole money wise that you have to damage, kill assist, kill, capture assist, spot assist, etc., your way out of. Then require a damage threshold that must be exceeded before you get any part of the money for the win/loss.

That way any kind of farming that doesn't involve playing the game will lose money and not be engaged in.

Edited by shabowie, 17 November 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#31 Inconspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

If they want us to report in-game behavior there needs to be an in-game reporting system. Barring that I would assume it's not actually that important to them.

#32 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 17 November 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Spoken like a true Beta Tester

Or not.

I'd just like to point out that sending emails to customer support about some asshat you met in the game is not beta testing.

It would be beta testing if there was indeed ingame report function. Closest example that comes to mind is in HoN (heroes of newerth). After the game you can choose the match-id, the player name and the offensive committed from a simple dropdown list. Then fill in short description if you like (actually I think they removed that one lately? not sure). Then just click "Send".

I also find it quite ridiculous how some people expect others to report when it seems completely futile. There is no identifying details you can give other than the player name. A massive elephant there is the absence of MATCH-ID or any identifying info in which game the offense actually happened so that it could be verified what the reporter is saying is true. Unless a PG dev wants to come in and correct me, I'm gonna call them out and say they aren't checking any of the reports. Only thing they check is if same nickname is getting a lot of reports, which could easily be abused. The whole report system is currently based on the principle "a million people can't be wrong".

Edited by MadPanda, 17 November 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#33 Particle Man

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostAlexa Steel, on 17 November 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

What are you talking about? I dont even care about AFKs or Farmers xD

then why are you even in this thread?

#34 Alexa Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostMadPanda, on 17 November 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

I'd just like to point out that sending emails to customer support about some asshat you met in the game is not beta testing.

It would be beta testing if there was indeed ingame report function. Closest example that comes to mind is in HoN (heroes of newerth). After the game you can choose the match-id, the player name and the offensive committed from a simple dropdown list. Then fill in short description if you like (actually I think they removed that one lately? not sure). Then just click "Send".

I also find it quite ridiculous how some people expect others to report when it seems completely futile. There is no identifying details you can give other than the player name. A massive elephant there is the absence of MATCH-ID or any identifying info in which game the offense actually happened so that it could be verified what the reporter is saying is true. Unless a PG dev wants to come in and correct me, I'm gonna call them out and say they aren't checking any of the reports. Only thing they check is if same nickname is getting a lot of reports, which could easily be abused.

Dear MadPanda,

we assure you that we are looking into every reported missuse of the economy and are treating this issue very seriously. Should you have more questions, feel free to contact us again.

I believe it would be worded in a similar fashion.

View PostParticle Man, on 17 November 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

then why are you even in this thread?

Because I merely replied to the "name and shame" thing and stated that the problem would be no such problem if the economy would work.

Edited by Alexa Steel, 17 November 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#35 Z0MBIE Y0SHI

• 1,152 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Even if the economy worked, people will exploit anything possible for an easy buck.

#36 Troop

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 17 November 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Earlier today, a suicide farmer helped turn what could have been a close match (despite starting 7 v 8) into a total rout.

I took a screen shot of the final score, and sent this e-mail to support@mwomercs.com

"User ***** was in what appeared to be a trial catapult, ran straight towards the enemy, was unresponsive to text communication, and died after only doing 6 damage. I suspect that he was suicide farming.
Attached is a screen shot of the end-of-game statistics."
They responded promptly and professionally. I understand that there are mechanics in place that make suicide farming the easiest way to get money, and that those mechanics definitely need to be addressed, but for now the only way to deal with people who do this is to report them.

first of all you cant report players for doing something thats hurtfull to them... if you suicide farm and do no damage and just die then your making verry little money ... esspecially if you lose.... THATS THEIR perogative... it is not your place to decide that oh just because their slow money farming ****** YOU off more now you get to REPORT them... just mind your own business please.

second... this is the BETA... if these issues WILL be addressed at a later date... than wtf is your probelm anyway? how about you stop playing this game till then?

look at the way the OP phrases things..HE UNDERSTANDS it will be addressed but something SHOULD STILL be done now cause it ****** HIM off... its all ME ME MEE isnt it? i WILL afk whenever i want and do WHATEVER i want in a battle till the game goes out of beta and comes out for real and fixed all of its issues... till then its a crapshoot nobody cares

#37 Alexa Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostZ0MBIE Y0SHI, on 17 November 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

Even if the economy worked, people will exploit anything possible for an easy buck.

Aye, a working econmy however makes it harder = less people that do it.

Edited by Alexa Steel, 17 November 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#38 Z0MBIE Y0SHI

• 1,152 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostTroop, on 17 November 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

first of all you cant report players for doing something thats hurtfull to them... if you suicide farm and do no damage and just die then your making verry little money ... esspecially if you lose.... THATS THEIR perogative... it is not your place to decide that oh just because their slow money farming ****** YOU off more now you get to REPORT them... just mind your own business please.

second... this is the BETA... if these issues WILL be addressed at a later date... than wtf is your probelm anyway? how about you stop playing this game till then?

look at the way the OP phrases things..HE UNDERSTANDS it will be addressed but something SHOULD STILL be done now cause it ****** HIM off... its all ME ME MEE isnt it? i WILL afk whenever i want and do WHATEVER i want in a battle till the game goes out of beta and comes out for real and fixed all of its issues... till then its a crapshoot nobody cares

You being serious?
Being down a player from something as dumb as suicide rushing affects his whole team. Being down a player hurts several people, theres nothing selfish about it.

#39 Particle Man

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostAlexa Steel, on 17 November 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Dear MadPanda,

we assure you that we are looking into every reported missuse of the economy and are treating this issue very seriously. Should you have more questions, feel free to contact us again.

I believe it would be worded in a similar fashion.

Because I merely replied to the "name and shame" thing and stated that the problem would be no such problem if the economy would work.

and we're not talking about what ifs and wouldda shouldda. We're talking about the state of the game now and the problems it has now. redesigning the entire economy or fixing the matchmaker are things that either arent going to happen, or are already happening and will be in in the future. In the mean time we're talking about what to do about something that is happening NOW in the game we have NOW and the solution that the devs themselves have said to do in the meantime.

reporting them isnt something that Leftlucy just made up, this is what the devs have said to do, for months.

derailing the thread with "it's as simple as totally redesigning how the game works!" isnt helping anyone pr adding anything and is just borderline trolling.

#40 JebusGeist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSolaris City International Zone

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

I give people the benefit of the doubt the first time. Crashes and bugs happen and I know when I'm dropped with a team and I get the black screen of death I ask my teammates to direct me to the base so I can at least be useful standing on it, if not useful in the actual battle. So I figure at least some apparent AFKers are people that are black screened and just decide to wait it out, which I can't really blame them for. I make note of their name and if the next time I see them they are likewise afk, I report them. PGI staff should then be able to check their account logs and see if they are regularly AFKing. Same goes for suicide runs, they will have some identifying characteristics that will distinguish them from someone who is trying to play but is still dealing with the learning curve.

However, today when I started a match and a trial commando on my team immediately opened fire on my rear and kept firing on me as I turned around to face them and then ultimately had to destroy them, they didn't leave any room for doubt. They were quite obviously trying to abuse their teammates to force them to kill them quickly so that they can farm cbills and then attempt to make the excuse that their evil teammates are team killers. I reported them as soon as the match ended and I'm fairly certain their actions will be quite obvious to staff when the logs are looked at.

Edited by JebusGeist, 17 November 2012 - 03:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users