Any Advice For Hbk-4J?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

I have maxed out my first mech. An HBK-4SP and loving it. But now I want to go for elite upgrades so I bought a 4J since it is so similar.

But it's not the same. It really hurts getting that hunch shot off. And I miss the 4 arm mounted lasers.

I know it will get better if I add endosteel, double heats sinks, and a bigger engine, but I can't afford them yet.

Here's what i have done so far:
Trade the 2 SRM6 for 2 SSRM2 (extra tonnage and small mech defense)
Trade the head laser for TAG
Add AMS
Use the rest of the free tonnage for more heat sinks.

Am I on the right track? Should I go back to 2 SRM's? Any advice?

#2 Vallyn

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 65 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

SSRM's are good for light hunting, the SRM6's pack more punch against the heavier mechs.

You could always switch up for LRM's to give you more ranged power - I find that 4Js are ill-suited for brawling but make excellent long range and mid-range fighters, allowing you to soften targets up with LRM's and then do more damage with the lasers after.

I actually *really* like the stock build that was used as a trial mech - it had terrible heat management, but the damage it could put out if you were patient was good.

#3 Itzi

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

to me 4J is not really suited for a brawl.
If you join a clan or people you know, it is great for a support mech,
LRM in the hunch, stand with the other LRM boats
once missiles runs out, you can move in to engage
when lights come to haress, you have a bunch of laser to threat and keep them off the real LRM boats.

#4 Falanin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 63 posts
  • LocationA Top-Secret Federal Party Facility.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

One of the things I've been doing with my asymmetrical hunchies is putting a Large Laser in the left arm. That way, I've still got a decent weapon left in case the hunch gets shot off.

Also, exploit your hardpoints. The 4J has more laser potential than anything but the 4P. Even if it's 3 Small lasers, the extra weapons in the hunch means you can get a higher alpha for those times when you don't mind risking shutdown for the kill.

#5 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

I like the 4J as fire support- blast off LRMs, soften up a few targets then move in with some lasers.

#6 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

View PostItzi, on 18 November 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

to me 4J is not really suited for a brawl.

It can hold its own. Six medium lasers are not to be sneezed at. However the 4J works really well if you let some one else take the brawl. You don't want to sit in the rear either though. Edge of the brawl, shooting in.

#7 Chacotay

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:17 AM

Would the 4J make a suitable first choice for a mech? I'm new to this (as most of us are, I'm sure), and from what I can tell it suits my style pretty well - mid-to-long range, but still mobile with a kick. I would prefer the sniper loadouts, but being an Aussie counts against me in this case - inherent lag issues! ;)

#8 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

I reckon it is a good choice. Hunchbacks are nice little money makers. The 4P and 4SP are also recommended to fill out your trio for the skills. The 4G and 4H might be problematic for you due to lag.

Now if you haven't already, I would also get on one of the unofficial TS servers. You'll find it easier to stay at your preferred range if you have a pickup group you can communicate with. I'm not sure which TS server is frequented most by Australians though. You're out of my timezone.

http://mwomercs.com/...e-chat-servers/

#9 Chacotay

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Thanks! I've been meaning to get with TS for a while, but in the absence of pre-planned games, I wasn't sure if it would be of any use. This was before I found out about groups though.

#10 Celros

• PipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFin

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

What kind engine you guys usually run if youre having 2x10LRM launchers ? how the engine heatsink thing goes, what engine types gives those ?

#11 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

No Guts No Galaxy has a huge Aussie presence. At least, I always see a ton in the Australasian Mechanized Corps, their clan.

#12 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I did save my starting LRM. I think I'll put it back in tonight and try it out.

#13 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I like 2 LRM 15's and six smalls. Heat lists 1.08 but when I remove the LRMs the heat eff. is at ~1.3. That's a massive LRM volley and a deadly short range combo. Runs lighter than my other Hunchies on armor and speed but's it's fun!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users