The Surprisingly Versatile Banshee Bnc-3S

20 replies to this topic

#1 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:12 AM

Hello fellow mechwarriors! Ok to preface, I have 3,000+ plus matches - 300 in my LaMalinche, 489 in my 3E, 875 in my 3M, and only 192 in my 3S. When I started piloting Banshees I didn't really care for the 3S very much because it felt slow and I wasn't as good a shot as I am now lol

I've been loving my LaMalinche moneymaker with a 375XL, AC10, 3x LPL, 1x ML
Still love my Wubanshee 380XL, 4x LPL, 4x MPL
and the DakkaBanshee 350STD, 3x AC5, 3x ML is hella fun too.
I of course have them Elited and get the Cooldown 5 modules for the main weapons (this makes a huge difference).

So revisiting the barely used old 3S I am realizing there are a LOT of fun build options with EIGHT energy hardpoints, one ballistic and one missile. Have any of you got builds you really like on this mech? Not just wild theorycrafting but effective killing machines?

Keep in mind the quirks PPC Velocity +20%, ML Range +7.5%, Energy Range +7.5%, ML Duration -7.5%, Energy Duration -7.5%, Ballistic Cooldown 10%

BNC-3S - 345XL, 1x UAC5, 3x PPC, 1x ERLL (PPC Cooldown 5 module) incredible rapid fire PPC sniping on chainfire.

BNC-3S - 345XL, 1x AC10, 2x LPL, 3x MPL 1x ML (AC10 and LPL Cooldown 5 modules) a Wubanshee plus an AC10 (update, I just had a near 1000 damage match in this, am liking it!)

BNC-3S - 345XL, 1x AC10, 1x ERLL, 2x PPC, 1x MPL (AC10 and PPC Cooldown 5 modules)

Edited by Jorunn, 28 March 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#2 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:25 AM

I tried to make it into a brawler, but kinda failed with it. At the moment it's equipped with LRM, LB10, LL and a all the SPLs it can carry. Does pretty well as a support mech, if the team doesn't abandon you to the enemy. Oh and STD325 for survivability.

#3 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

I'm rather frustrated with the Banshee 3S.

Too many energy hardpoints to be practical - you get a good shot or two, provided it's not a hot map, and then you shut down and die - and only 1 ballistic and 1 missile. Good hitboxes, at least.

Right now, I've got a standard 325, an AC20, 2 Large Pulse lasers, and a medium pulse laser in the head. Undergunned, but at least it runs cool and is reasonably survivable. Unfortunately, that build also has almost nothing to do with the mech's quirks, but piling on the lasers just produces an hot target, at least in my experience. Another option is swap out the Large Pulse Lasers with PPC's - you gain some quirk bonuses and front-loaded damage, though you lose some heat efficiency and close-in damage under 90m.

Still no idea what to really do with the thing in the long run.

Edited by oldradagast, 28 March 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#4 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:27 AM

340 std engine, five medium lasers,, 2 small lasers, gauss/3 tons of ammo, and a ppc. Seven double heatsinks I believe. Has worked well for me, can hit at range and hurts up close with a;ll the laser vomit. Moves at a decent clip as well and is tanky as all get out thanks to the std engine and gorilla arms.

Edited by Precentor Martial Jarcaddy, 30 March 2015 - 05:29 AM.

#5 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:12 AM

I don't have banshees myself, so I'm probably not the best source of builds, but I've seen something like: BNC-3S doing over 1000 damage.

#6 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:21 AM

I like the look of that Gauss/PPC 5x ML build and may try that here's the Smurfy's

#7 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 494 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

BNC-3S

Fairly straight forward. Sniping is your job, but you shouldn't fear to brawl either due having an STD engine. So far have had decent matches with it.

Edited by Samziel, 04 April 2015 - 05:59 AM.

#8 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

Damn that's alot of love for one Chassis! Banshees are siiiiick :)

#9 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:16 AM

Here's another build i've been toying with around with. Have had really good results so far :)

BNC-3S

#10 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:06 PM

View PostPrecentor Martial Jarcaddy, on 05 April 2015 - 05:16 AM, said:

Here's another build i've been toying with around with. Have had really good results so far :)

BNC-3S

holy crap that is a lot of weapon groups! lol I can't manage more than three weapon types efficiently... but if you can then this is the mech for you

#11 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

View PostSamziel, on 04 April 2015 - 05:59 AM, said:

BNC-3S

Fairly straight forward. Sniping is your job, but you shouldn't fear to brawl either due having an STD engine. So far have had decent matches with it.

You can add ES and FF with that many slots left. ES at least gets you more cooling/guns/ammo...

Mine is very simple: AC/20&7MPL.

#12 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostJorunn, on 06 April 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

holy crap that is a lot of weapon groups! lol I can't manage more than three weapon types efficiently... but if you can then this is the mech for you

Four is my limit. You could drop the asrm/ammo/case and medium lasers on my last build and just rock medium pulse lasers. Would brawl well.

#13 actionking

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 79 posts
  • LocationDortmund, Germany

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostJorunn, on 31 March 2015 - 04:21 AM, said:

I like the look of that Gauss/PPC 5x ML build and may try that here's the Smurfy's

I improved your build by adding Endo, here you are http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b10789e162f4b42

Edited by actionking, 07 April 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#14 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:39 AM

BNC-3S

I call it my WTFwubshee

#15 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

View Postactionking, on 07 April 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

I improved your build by adding Endo, here you are http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b10789e162f4b42

DOH!!
Thanks Havyek, that was a dumb smurfy oversight on my part. Comes of theorycrafting! lol

#16 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:35 PM

BNC-3S

Good mid range and damn good close range. Standard engine to top it off.

BNC-3S

Good sniper-ish build. It is an improvement upon the build someone posted a few comments up.

Edited by POOTYTANGASAUR, 07 April 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#17 Sewman

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

Failing at the AC20 and close range brawler builds, I decided to try out some PPC builds. Does anybody know how to get the PPC on the top shoulder on the right torso? Or do you have to mount 3 or 4 PPCs in order to make use of those top hardpoints?

I've been able to get LLas to the top shoulder points in order to play a cautious peek and shoot style but I haven't been able to get my PPCs up there without mounting 4 PPC insta-overheat troll builds.

#18 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:40 AM

I'm not very good with the AC20 ballistic trajectory and I like a longer range so prefer the AC10 ballistic. I tried moving around my lasers and PPC in the LT and wasn't able to push it up either. Stacking PPCs is likely the only way. This from my OP is a fun build with the PPC Cooldown 5 module you can rapid fire those PPCs, just remember their minimum range of 90m negates most of your up close brawling firepower when it hits the fan at the end of a match.

Posted Image

#19 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

Look what you can get with four PPCs! And, as far as I can tell, that's the only way to ever get that on-the-shoulder mount.

Lasers will always stay below the shoulder line. The good news is, you'll never have more than one in the belly, so if you do something like this you'll have three high-mounted LPLs if you put the SL in first (like on the 3E).

Posted Image

Edited by Terciel1976, 11 April 2015 - 08:34 PM.

#20 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:54 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 11 April 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

Look what you can get with four PPCs! And, as far as I can tell, that's the only way to ever get that on-the-shoulder mount.

Creative, never seen that setup crammed in there and a lot of sacrifices to get there. Thanks for the screenshot of that Frakenstein build lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users