360 Degree Targetting Console: What Exactly Does It Do?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Popov

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdon

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

So I blew 6 mill on this console and just can't figure out what benefit it is meant to be giving me.

It does not maintain a hard missile lock when a mech goes out of view and I could already maintain an "R" lock without it.

Anyone know what PGI's definition of 360 degree target lock is? ;)

#2 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:49 AM

I also purchased it for my DDC hoping for some defense against circling Jenner zergs. Thus far I have noticied nothing but my smaller bank account.

#3 puratech

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

Does it hold enough of a lock that you can keep other teammates missile locks up on the target while theyre circling you?

#4 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

It should allow you to maintain target painting while the target is outside of your cone of vision (normally you lose target data after a second or two without LOS, and LOS is based on your cone of vision). This would seem most useful for fast lights who want to keep LRM support incoming while they dance around the enemy team (which often leads them to lose vision on people they are running past), as well as for slow mechs who want to be able to handle fast targets better (it should allow you to use your minimap/radar to predict the enemy's movements when he's behind you, by using the direction of the contact arrow as a guide).

I have yet to spend any of my GXP, so I haven't tested it yet to confirm the above.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

It's for maintaining a target lock on targets who move behind your mech(if you alreayd had them targetting), not for enemies that move behind a building/hill where you lose LOS. It specifically says it is back-face detection.

Not sure if it will ever maintain a hard missile lock (missile lock requires target lock plus missile lock; 360 targetting module may only provide a target lock)

#6 LaserLarry

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

It doesnt work. Period. I didnt see any difference. I lost lock and I could see the mech with a torso twist. I also could not see him on the minimap. Just one of the 'Dont work' items in the game

#7 Armorpiercer M82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

so maybe it needs buff ? or redesign.

#8 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

It supposed to work like this: Get a mech in a target lovk like normal. If the mechn you target locked goes behind you while still locked, they'll remain visible on the map.

Keep in mind, its likly safe to assume that if they get behind you and then move behind a building, that the lock will likly be lost.

#9 SteelPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

The patch notes actually said it retains targeting (not missile lock) if your current target moves behind you within 200 meters, which is fairly close range. If you've got targets moving behind you that close AND not breaking LOS, but you're still losing R lock, bug it.

#10 DrAwkward

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

View PostSteelPaladin, on 25 November 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

The patch notes actually said it retains targeting (not missile lock) if your current target moves behind you within 200 meters, which is fairly close range. If you've got targets moving behind you that close AND not breaking LOS, but you're still losing R lock, bug it.

This is correct. As for purpose, Levi Porphyrogenitus got what is probably its best usage: allowing a light 'mech to continue helping teammates to target a nearby opponent while the light pilot looks away to focus on watching where he/she is going. I suppose another usage for General Pace, who bought one for his Atlas, might be to see if a light that has moved past him/her is choosing to circle or to continue running to some other target/objective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users