Hbk-4Sp Tweaking: Artemis Or Not Artemis?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Plepis

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

As i'm about to start building my next Mech, i'm finishing the design on my 4SP (which i'm loving btw).

Here's the blueprints:

Spoiler

One thing i noticed during playing for some time with it, is that a lot of people go with a similar build, but packing 4x MLAS instead of my SLAS and no artemis on the SRM6, and sometimes even SSRM2. Thinking about it, i decided to go ahead and upgrade the Small Lasers for Meds, but i'd have to lose the Artemis System to free up tonnage.

Now here's the questioning: For a close range brawler who currently tries to remain in SLas Range (90m), i get the feeling i'm overkilling equipping Artemis. But, should i switch to Med Lasers, how much more effective is Artemis on SRM6 up till, say, a 200m brawling distance?

#2 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

I would never drop from mlas to slas. To try artemis i dropped ams, armor and heatsinks.

It wasnt worth the tonnage imho. If you stick with slas you need to stay close allthetime or you will lose out on tons of dmg, you do not need artemis on a in your face mech imho.

2x srm6 (3 tons of ammo), 4 x mlas, 16 DHeatsinks and no ams works best for me.

TLDR: NOT ARTEMIS

Edited by Budor, 20 November 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#3 Plepis

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

You confused me a little there...

and no ams works best for me.

Did you mean no Artemis there, or do you really run without AMS?

#4 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

I would only use artemis for SRMs on a slow mech (<=64kph). Because you're throwing a 250 engine in that thing you can close distances fast enough that the spread bonus barely matters. An extra bonus from not having it is that it will be cheaper to re-arm, on top of having the extra tonnage to upgrade to MLs, and since you're using DHS you could easily do 4xML.

I really only notice the spread tightening at about 180m+, so since you like to facehug just drop the artemis.

Edited by EmperorMyrf, 20 November 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#5 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostPlepis, on 20 November 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

You confused me a little there...

Did you mean no Artemis there, or do you really run without AMS?

I run without AMS on all of my mediums. I use 250-260 engines thats plenty of time to get in cover.

I might change my opinion once AMS shoots down streaks now that they have been fixed.

Edit: Tip on the SRMs, IF you have your reticule on target when fireing they seem to converge (tightest spread) at roughly 130m and again at 260m.

Edited by Budor, 20 November 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#6 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

I experimented a lot with my 4SP and I will tell you without a doubt I'm sold on having Artemis. Here's why, the tight spread to the Max 270m is a big deal...more consistant FOCUSED damage. Once you learn the lead on them, andhow to pilot the 4sp, you will destroy. I finally got it down last night and 3 matches in a row I raked in 4 kills and many assists per match. 12 kills in about half an hour. The key is leading, and paying attention to damaged areas and being liberal with alpha strikes. If you have a clear shot, you should be either alpha striking or full SRM salvoing them. Also ditch a few things. The build I continually have succes with is:

STD 245
DHS
Endosteel

4xmedium Las
1xsmall Las
2x Artemis SRM6
No ams.

79.4 kph is great, sure not the 260 engine...but you are out pacing everything but lights and 260s. Very manvuverable, and armor is still. High. The mediums and small Las give an Alpha of 53!!! That is amazing for a medium. If you want drop some more armor off of legs and toss in a 5th medium laser for 55 alpha.

Edited by Cstriker, 21 November 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#7 Chacotay

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

With 81kmph as your top speed, you really shouldn't need an anti-missile system if you're smart how you play - never go in by yourself, and try to flank if you can. The SP is firepower support, not brawl, so if anyone gets missiles off on you, duck and hide behind a ridge or a building. Using this tactic, LRMs become pretty much harmless if you're careful.

I usually run the standard "Bulldozer" model I found on here and absolutely love it... one day of playing and I went from getting no kills to averaging around 2 per match (sometimes as high as 5!). With the SRM6's, you usually wanna either come in from behind, or strafe whichever enemy you're targetting while you're close up - at the distances I play with, artemis would do nothing for me. Sure it'd tighten up the groupings, but anywhere past 150kmph and I probably want a little spread (especially given my natural Australian-lag).

I run with the MLAS too... one SMLAS in the head, but I'm considering just getting rid of it because it's annoying. Just not sure what I'd do with the extra half-ton.

Edited by Chacotay, 21 November 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#8 Plepis

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostChacotay, on 21 November 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

at the distances I play with, artemis would do nothing for me. Sure it'd tighten up the groupings, but anywhere past 150kmph and I probably want a little spread (especially given my natural Australian-lag).

I'll take it you're on the "No Artemis" side then

#9 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hey Plebis - the SP is my fave as well, we already discussed the 4G. So....lemme give you some feedback exchange here as well:

Its either ASRM or SSRM for me. The SRMs are great for attacking at a medium range of about 250m but without Artemis the spread is horrible. You want as many missiles to hit before you close in. They spread anyway, but just a bit less with Artemis, this is most noticeable at distances over 150m.

Personally I'm really not a fan of small lasers, but some people are in love with them, its just not my thing so here are my two SP variants I usually go with (swapping around is really simple). If you really want to carry that many missiles with you, you can leave away the AMS, but with the SP I tend to be less careful and a bit more aggressive than with the "Hunch" Models, so thats why I leave AMS in my build.

ASRM Variant:
Spoiler

-----

SSRM Variant
Spoiler

In the end I guess it all depends on play style, SRMs without Artemis will be fine if you prefer being close up most of the time (aka "Brawling"). As I said in the other thread imho with a medium the staying threshold is lower and you have to kind of weave in and out of battle.

Edited by Taizan, 21 November 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#10 Plepis

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Taizan: I've been kind of dissapointed with the SLas too, so i'm looking about swapping them to Med Lasers, dropping Artemis, and keeping the AMS (because, like you, i like to duke it out with people)

I've been also thinking of swapping the ASRM6s for SSRM2s, but i'm still a bit scared to do so, just because of how much i enjoy firing those 12-packs onto people's juicy backs... Also, i'm used to 4 tons of SRM ammo, so dropping it to 2 tons *MIGHT* feel too little, but i'll judge that after i upgrade them lasers.

But i'm honestly considering dropping Artemis for that, but just to be on the safe side i'll try to simulate a build with them on the mechlab before doing anything as rash as dropping 500k onto something i dropped 900k for

...On a sidenote, i wish the mechlab program creator would list Heat Efficiency the same as in-game values rather than percentages

#11 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostPlepis, on 21 November 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

Also, i'm used to 4 tons of SRM ammo, so dropping it to 2 tons *MIGHT* feel too little, but i'll judge that after i upgrade them

Yeah i "started" with 300 missiles but then noticed I never spend them all in one match, on an average PUG match I seldom run dry and usually if I do the 5 MLasers are enough to finish off remaining enemies. This also is up personal preference as well. With the SRMS, sometimes I will swap out for 1 ton more because if I don't feel comfortable enough with just 2 tons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users