To Clan or not to Clan

410 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance? (996 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance?

1. Yes (660 votes [66.27%])

Percentage of vote: 66.27%

2. No (336 votes [33.73%])

Percentage of vote: 33.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

View PostDFDelta, on 03 November 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

You know guys, I think the clanners will make me laugh.

I guess 80% of those that sign up as clanners once they become available are only after the easymode that clantech represents.
I know there are diehard lore-clanners here, but most won't be.

Then, if the devs are smart, we get canon countermeasures against clan superiority to keep the clans balanced for gameplay.
Something like a team size handicap (Binary vs Company, aka 10vs12) or a BV like system. Something like that: Yes you can sign up for combat with a binary of Timberwolves and Mad Dogs, but don't be surprised if you have to fight a reinforced company of Awesomes and Maulers.
Suddenly those guys would have to actually work for their victories, and would even have to be, as lore dictates, good pilots to archive anything.
Then there will be much whining, and us IS pilots laughing.

I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I think you will find that Keshik of most true Clans won't allow Warriors like that. Clan Rabid Pony is where they will end up. Clans that are organized, with websites, clans that matter will be outbidding you for honor. You can keep your "powerlevel" surats.

#22 wolf74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

I voted no, But I wouldn't mind having the option open for an alt.
I don't mind having the Options open for people to play the Clans but the Warrior Honor code going to have to be Hard Coded for them, So that a Lose with Honor is worth more than a win without honor or else the Clan Gear is going to have to be Majorly gimped for balance reasons.

#23 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

View PostDFDelta, on 03 November 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

You know guys, I think the clanners will make me laugh.

I guess 80% of those that sign up as clanners once they become available are only after the easymode that clantech represents.
I know there are diehard lore-clanners here, but most won't be.

Then, if the devs are smart, we get canon countermeasures against clan superiority to keep the clans balanced for gameplay.
Something like a team size handicap (Binary vs Company, aka 10vs12) or a BV like system. Something like that: Yes you can sign up for combat with a binary of Timberwolves and Mad Dogs, but don't be surprised if you have to fight a reinforced company of Awesomes and Maulers.
Suddenly those guys would have to actually work for their victories, and would even have to be, as lore dictates, good pilots to archive anything.
Then there will be much whining, and us IS pilots laughing.

I'm kinda looking forward to it.

First of all you need to back up & recognize skill. Bidding (a voluntary process) brings downs the number of combatants for clan forces so they enter each fray with a significant numerical disadvantage. Also at the beginning of the invasion, apart from Clan Wolf, almost ALL clans are practicing zellbrigen thus limiting their deadliness on the battlefield. Also we do not use mines & other related non-skill weapons.There are your advantages.

Typical innersphere surats. You whine & moan. It is not our fault that instead of liberating yourselves to advance technologically, culturally & socially you placed the chains of war upon yourselves with ongoing Succession Wars to see who could carve out the biggest piece of the Inner Sphere & flaunt each individual lord's power.

We will set you free of the chains you placed on yourselves. Fear not little stravag.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 03 November 2011 - 04:16 PM.

#24 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

Sea Fox's forever. Our mech and merchant prowess knows no bounds.

#25 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

I wonder how many would pick clans if the tech were even?

#26 Chris Fetladral

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

Forever a clanner.

Tis sad that the the actions of false-clanners or banditcaste warriors (those who are not familiar with Zellbrigen) bring dishonor to the rest of us.

To all Innersphere warriors:
Do not fear the trinaries comprised of complete assault or heavy Omnimechs, to those who are true to the clan way, those are meant for Trials of Annihilation. If you bring a well dispersed company of mechs, me and my fellow clankin will fight you in kind, with an assortment of mechs worthy of the honor. Those whom we deem worthy in combat will become bondsmen and their mechs isorla..

#27 ethics gradient

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Call me freebirth scum all you like but I always just preferred the grittiness of pre clan era mech combat.

#28 reinhardt steiner

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Strana Mechty should have been nuked from orbit, just like Turtle Bay. The clans are just another group of pirates bent on conquest. They want to enslave all the Inner Sphere because we didn't come from their vats. They aren't human because they have no humanity. So bring it trueborn trash, I'll see you on Twycross.

That being said, I might make another account for a Ghost Bear Mechwarrior. :)

#29 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

View Postreinhardt steiner, on 03 November 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

Strana Mechty should have been nuked from orbit, just like Turtle Bay. The clans are just another group of pirates bent on conquest. They want to enslave all the Inner Sphere because we didn't come from their vats. They aren't human because they have no humanity. So bring it trueborn trash, I'll see you on Twycross.

That being said, I might make another account for a Ghost Bear Mechwarrior. :)

Wrong. Pirates have no honor. Wrong. We want to fix what YOU broke. Wrong. We are superior beings, whether trueborn or freeborn by the training we undergo & the standards & values we have, we are superior. So yes stravag, see you on Twycross. This is no Falcon you are talking to.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 03 November 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#30 reinhardt steiner

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

What honor is there in nuking civilians from orbit? And you yahoos spent as much time fighting among each other as the Inner Sphere did. It just wasn't as destructive. Why would it be? You have no connection to anything outside your own lives. No connections, no families, just a unit where all your subordinates will kill you to take your spot. That's what makes your little proxy battles work. You don't really care who wins as long as you can fight. As soon as the invasion stops you start fighting each other again. Take away your tech and you are just kiddies playing at war. We all know how this ends. Our tech will only get halfway to yours before we crush you.

Don't take everything so seriously :)

#31 Phades

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

Never play a clan myself. I've always endured "impossible odds" and figured out a way to win and this will be no different. I also can't seem to get past the self important attitude displayed with them. I'll stop there before I get real insulting with my choice of words and stoop to their level. :)

#32 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

I would be open to it... but I think that it's a very dangerous thing to include in the game.

Just like back in the early days of Battletech, there were no listed ways of balancing Clan versus Inner Sphere games, so many (less than intelligent) people tried balancing clan versus Inner Sphere matches by tonnage - Big mistake. The resulting floor-sweepings caused a strong rift in the community, and gave us our first batch of 3025-purists, who - even 20 years later - complain that anything not introductory box/pre-clan was garbage.

If there is not some limiting factor against the clans - whether it's a limited, random number of players who can join a clan faction, or it were an AI faction that isn't selectable, we're going to see a huge disbalance in the game, with EVERYONE trying to pick clan - simply because their toys will always be better, and there are no balancing factors like Battle Value to prevent the clans from rolling over anything the inner sphere can throw at them.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, according to Battle Value, the Puma (as seen in Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries) is a higher battle-value than a 3025 Atlas. These are the kind of things that the game will have to address - hopefully not at the expense of being true to the battletech universe and messing around with weapon stats.

Edited by ice trey, 03 November 2011 - 06:12 PM.

#33 Eegxeta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

Of course the Clans are honorable and fair in combat and are generally better Mech pilots. I think though it should take a lot more to be a member of the Clan as Clan pilot have to undergo heavy training. I think to be a Clan mechwarrior you should have to prove yourself as a Clan mech warrior show that you actually have skill. Being a Clan mechwarrior should be earned not by kills, not by level or rank, not by purchase but through skill: how well someone fought, how skilled was there aim, how well the mech was piloted. Anyone can rack up kills or earn money. It should also go down to how honorable do they fight things like did they give the opponent a chance to eject or did they just aim for the cockpit, did they cripple the opponents mech (like destroying the legs or shooting off weapons so that they can't defend themselves). Being a Clan mechwarrior shouldn't be easy a person should have to make a commitment and if that break it they will lose Clan status.

Edited by Eegxeta, 03 November 2011 - 06:53 PM.

#34 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

I would play a Clanner, except even if they did open up the Clans, unless they opened up the Kerensky Cluster as a parallel game area I wouldn't get to join my Clan. (Ice Hellion for li... OooOoo shiney!)

#35 Rain Man the Excellently

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

The Clans are scum. The end.

#36 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

View PostEegxeta, on 03 November 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

Of course the Clans are honorable and fair in combat and are generally better Mech pilots.

Sure, the clans are...

But people on multiplayer? They're the worst kinds of munchkins - anything to win. It's nothing like playing an IRL game in person (Speaking of which, howdy Feor). There will need to be some very VERY strong caps on the clans - lest they disbalance and overwhelm the game.

#37 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

Tough question for just Yes or No.

Both Yes and No for me and I wouldnt be exlusive to either given the choice. Love many pre clan mechs like the centurion but also love my summoner!

#38 Eegxeta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

View Postice trey, on 03 November 2011 - 06:24 PM, said:

Sure, the clans are...

But people on multiplayer? They're the worst kinds of munchkins - anything to win. It's nothing like playing an IRL game in person (Speaking of which, howdy Feor). There will need to be some very VERY strong caps on the clans - lest they disbalance and overwhelm the game.

That is true. Read my post again I edited it.

Edited by Eegxeta, 03 November 2011 - 06:40 PM.

#39 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:10 PM

View Postreinhardt steiner, on 03 November 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

What honor is there in nuking civilians from orbit? And you yahoos spent as much time fighting among each other as the Inner Sphere did. It just wasn't as destructive. Why would it be? You have no connection to anything outside your own lives. No connections, no families, just a unit where all your subordinates will kill you to take your spot. That's what makes your little proxy battles work. You don't really care who wins as long as you can fight. As soon as the invasion stops you start fighting each other again. Take away your tech and you are just kiddies playing at war. We all know how this ends. Our tech will only get halfway to yours before we crush you.

Don't take everything so seriously :)

You are not talking to a Jaguar either surat. The rest of the clans found that action to be detestable & wasteful so your point is mute. We may have spent as much time fighting each other true, but as you say it was not as destructive. Why? Because we are not barbarians. In a world where your subordinates will fight & kill you to take your spot you become elite because NOTHING is handed to you on a silver platter because of how long you served or who your parents are. You have to EARN what you want & you have to FIGHT to keep it, so forgive us but we will take things seriously because that is what has made us who we are. Take away our tech...........HA! The training a clansman goes through from the time he/she enters the sibko even without our tech we would run circles around your "academy" graduates. Stop dreaming stravag. Thank you for the laugh though.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 03 November 2011 - 07:11 PM.

#40 CrescentHawk

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Death to the clanners. Fed Suns all the way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users