To Clan or not to Clan

410 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance? (996 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance?

1. Yes (660 votes [66.27%])

Percentage of vote: 66.27%

2. No (336 votes [33.73%])

Percentage of vote: 33.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#401 PawPaWuFF

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

thats not really what i said i was saying that i identify with clan mechs and im a bit disapointed theres no timberwolf and such :)

#402 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 13 August 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

In 3053 the clans might have controlled Earth, but for what purpose? Were they so delusional as to think conquering earth would make everyone bow down to them? Holding Earth was all it took for them to replace one hereditary ruling class with another?
In the BTech universe, Earth is a hub of communication and travel for ComStar. So, what? The successor states had always functioned without it.

So, if the clans defeated 1/4 of the Inner Sphere forces and conquered Earth (and after the losers were done disputing who would be the ilClan) they'd still have to subjugate the other 3/4 of the Inner Sphere. Good luck with that. The Jihad - a single faction throwing a nuclear hissy-fit - would be short and sweet, by comparison. Conquering Earth wouldn't bring peace to anyone. It would bring a whole new level of ruin for humankind.

For the Clans, it was not about subjugation - that is an IS contruct. Like the idea of having a defeated people "Bow down" to the Clans. It was about restoring the SDLF to make sure that the great houses would NOT continue to treat their populations like subjugated peoples. Case in point, the Ghost Bears and the Diamond Sharks.

Frankly, if the fiction had been written so that the Clans had made all of what Kerensky had planned come to fruition, you all would be singing different tunes about what would have happened after 3052.

And Jihad (or Dark Age, thank God) would never have happened if the Clans had been allowed to be successful.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 29 September 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#403 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 29 September 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

For the Clans, it was not about subjugation - that is an IS contruct. Like the idea of having a defeated people "Bow down" to the Clans. It was about restoring the SDLF to make sure that the great houses would NOT continue to treat their populations like subjugated peoples. Case in point, the Ghost Bears and the Diamond Sharks.

Frankly, if the fiction had been written so that the Clans had made all of what Kerensky had planned come to fruition, you all would be singing different tunes about what would have happened after 3052.

And Jihad (or Dark Age, thank God) would never have happened if the Clans had been allowed to be successful.

Kerensky hadn't planned an invasion. Anyway, i trust that the young generations leading the Successor States against the Clans could have made the Inner Sphere a better place to live. Times were mature. Shame that people like Katrina Steiner would keep the IS in is barbaric state just for power..

#404 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostAbominae, on 04 November 2011 - 02:16 PM, said:

I would want to play clan simply because of the Clan exlusive mechs like Ghost Bears - Stone Rhino. Might not be the most efficient mech, but it was f***ing awesome, and that's what Mechwarrior has been about. Big, awesome mechs tearing each other to non-recycleable scraps!

You do know the one Rhino was also fielded by the Jade Falcons Abominae and the Dragoons used one. It had 3025 tech though. Look it up on Sarna.

#405 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Given the recent announcement I thought i'd resurrect this thread :(

#406 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

Still Clan. Still proud. My armor may be fixed, my engine may be fixed, but so is my targeting computer. Right. Square. Dab in the middle of my target's face.

#407 Ignatz22

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

CLANS?!?!!

Posted Image

#408 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

I honestly do not know what it is about the anally retentive repressed clans people like.

I mean the books we soooo predictable from the moment the clans arrived. The only thing going for them is the tech. So does that mean all 'clanners' are just wanting to play this game on easy mode?

#409 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostWoodstock, on 14 December 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

So does that mean all 'clanners' are just wanting to play this game on easy mode?

Neg.

Also, i thought that the Clanner have been smashed more than a few times by the Spheroids after they have learned how to fight them.

#410 Psimon Drake

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

So long as:
  • Clan tech only works in Clan Mechs, and IS tech only works in IS Mechs.
  • No mixing of Clan and IS Mechs on a team.
  • Clan teams are 8 (or 9? 2 lances of 4 or 3 lances of 3?) members
  • Clan targetting systems can only target "untargetted" mechs (just a thought to enforce Clan tactics)
I see no reason to Nerf Clan weapons. ;)
Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02

#411 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostWoodstock, on 03 November 2011 - 02:26 PM, said:

Just to get an idea of how many people here ... given the choice ... would want to play a clanner?

I have an Alt for this!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users