#41 SteelPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 715 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

View PostTaryys, on 21 November 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

Ok fine, be that way.
Yes you are pointing out things that could be improved. Fair enough.
But comparing these 2 games is not at all fair for many of the reasons posted here.

One is in a real beta with a small company and one is released and underwritten by a major corporation.
Its like comparing Walmart to the mom and pop grocery store.

The only comparison factor that matters to a consumer is the utility (value) per dollar spent on a product. The size of the company, their budget, any of their difficulties, and/or the fact that their mommies never hugged them as a child are completely irrelevant. Those are the businesses' problems, not the consumers.

#42 Kaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

View PostTaryys, on 21 November 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

Agreed. Again none of us wanted to go open beta. PGI did not really want to go open beta.
It was not their call. It is PGI's IGP's call. A minimum viable product for open beta or no game.

This is reality and what we are given. Hashing it over and over again is not really useful.

It is just kind of tiring.
We all know. We all agree.

FTFY

#43 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

View PostKaryudo ds, on 21 November 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Why does everyone HAVE to play PS2 if they aren't playing MWO? Seems ridiculous, there are lots of other non-PS2 games out there.

Who said anyone HAD to play PS2?

#44 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostSamantha, on 21 November 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

I'm not sure, I'm sure we all didn't have a covert meeting and say "LET'S ALL TRY PLANETSIDE 2".

For me, I don't care what genre of game it is, if it scratches my gaming itch then I play it, if it doesn't I play something else. I guess that's normal behavior?

Exactly what I was thinking. If I like something I play it, if I don't I generally don't hang around it's message boards. I just think the idea that PS2 is suddenly what we all have to play because it's "better" at thing A and thing B is silly. Last week it was Hawken...which it probably will be again next week.

Not to mention if PS2 is MWO's killer competition MWO has lost badly. Not because PS2 is better or anyone likes it more, but because the annual CoD expansion has more than likely outsold PS2 by a lot by now and people spend time playing that...apparently a lot of time. Also seems to feature fewer bugs. ;)

Edited by Karyudo ds, 21 November 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#45 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Yes PS2 is in a better state. Only a fanboy would argue against that. But I would like to believe that in a year down the line PGI will have this game's core features done and then it will be a pretty good game, because the stated vision and features are in line with what we all want.

Until then its not like its costing you anything so while complaints should be made to steer the direction of the game, I'd lower expectations because its not like anyone is forcing anybody to play it. I'm probably not giving then any more money because I don't see anything I want to buy, but I'm not wishing ill on the company. There's just no point in doing that ;)

#46 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostReoh, on 21 November 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

Constructive criticism with reasons and evidence and suggestions for how to improve things would have been more useful. Comparing a AAA launch game to a small dev team beta is a hyperbole (and outright lie, when you claim they're both in beta).

Liar, eh? Whatever. There is no significant difference in the state of PS2 today, in "release," from 2 days ago, in "closed beta."

#47 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

So play PS2.

#48 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 21 November 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Exactly what I was thinking. If I like something I play it, if I don't I generally don't hang around it's message boards. I just think the idea that PS2 is suddenly what we all have to play because it's "better" at thing A and thing B is silly. Last week it was Hawken...which it probably will be again next week.

Not to mention if PS2 is MWO's killer competition MWO has lost badly. Not because PS2 is better or anyone likes it more, but because the annual CoD expansion has more than likely outsold PS2 by a lot by now and people spend time playing that...apparently a lot of time. Also seems to feature fewer bugs. ;)

Was I really not clear in my OP? My aim is not to sway anyone to play PS2. I'm just sharing thoughts and personal experience, and what PS2 does right that MWO could learn from....

#49 RedHairDave

• 1,299 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostSamantha, on 21 November 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

Because you were born under the lucky star, was blessed by the sacred tree, so bad things to you only happen to other people. ;)

There's alot of people not as lucky :D

i will try to share some of my lucky star. i seem to have extra.

#50 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 21 November 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

So play PS2.

I will. I'm not going to stop playing this game though. Don't be so childish. I imagine PS2 will fill the spot BF3 used to fill...

#51 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostCol Forbin, on 21 November 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Liar, eh? Whatever. There is no significant difference in the state of PS2 today, in "release," from 2 days ago, in "closed beta."

Calling a launch a beta is a lie, but let me check.

lie, lied, ly·ing.
noun

1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; anintentional untruth; a falsehood.

2. something intended or serving to convey a false impression;imposture: His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.

3. an inaccurate or false statement.

Yep, that's the word I meant to use, but to extend it MWO is also not launching in 2 days.

At least, not that I've heard. ;)

Edited by Reoh, 21 November 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#52 armitage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostCol Forbin, on 21 November 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

So let me start off by saying that I love this game. I truly want it to succeed. I am an old-school MW player starting off back in the MW2 days. I love all the simulator aspects this game is trying to achieve.

That being said: I have a respectable rig. We're talking i5 2500K @4.9Ghz, GTX580 @969Mhz, 8Gb RAM, always ping <50ms. When I first started closed beta, I had to install extra fans on my radiator, because this game was pegging my CPU so horribly. No big deal, they seem to have mitigated most of that issue. Anyways, I'm digressing...

So yesterday's patch cut my framerates by 1/3 to 1/2 and feels laggy. Before I only saw other people rubberbanding from lag. That and the lack of Phase 2 matchmaking got me looking at that OTHER open beta....

You may want to reinstall, defrag, update drivers, and do whatever other system maintenance you can think of. My 2500k @4.6 with a gtx480 is still rock solid at 56-60fps with the latest nvidia beta drivers. My ping is typically 90-100ms and lag/rubberbanding has not changed either.

#53 Comguard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 652 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I guess most users here have realized by now that the project MW:O is a little bit two big for PGI.

All we can do now is hope they grow with the task.

#54 Phatel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostTaryys, on 21 November 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

We are in Beta. They are released.
There is a difference.

There is no difference. If you are gonna call it a "beta" but have the store available and clearly stated that you will not be wiping anything, TADA you launched it! You are just so uncomfortable with your ability to implement content and bug free patches that you feel the need to hide behind the "it's beta" stamp. That way when things are not in, it's buggy and your game looks like crap people will go "it's beta".

No, no it's not. This is a game in launch hiding behind a beta tag, wich it could keep for the next 6 years and would change nothing about the actual game at all. There is nothing coming when they remove beta, no big anything at any point. Welcome to LIVE! (beta version)

#55 Matte Black

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Has anyone mentioned that these are completely different types of game?

I also found this rather intertaining.

"A weekly in-game livestream event that focuses on the biggest battles, killer Outfits and hanging out on Auraxis."

Not judging or anything yet, I do plan on checking out the game, but it is not a Mech Combat Game. ;)

#56 Samantha

Clone

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 21 November 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Exactly what I was thinking. If I like something I play it, if I don't I generally don't hang around it's message boards. I just think the idea that PS2 is suddenly what we all have to play because it's &quot;better&quot; at thing A and thing B is silly. Last week it was Hawken...which it probably will be again next week.

Not to mention if PS2 is MWO's killer competition MWO has lost badly. Not because PS2 is better or anyone likes it more, but because the annual CoD expansion has more than likely outsold PS2 by a lot by now and people spend time playing that...apparently a lot of time. Also seems to feature fewer bugs. :D

TBH i have more fun reading these forums than playing matches lately.. My dad was a BT nut and i liked MW 4 alot, reading the posts of the TTer's hating life when MWO started straying off canon was awesome lol.
In the meantime, PS2, when that gets stale, assasins creed 3, xcom was before that, and hopefully by then CW will be ready. Whatevers fun.. But played too much shoebox 8v8 matchs atm.. Hehe

Anyhow, no game kills another, it's just what we personally like playing, or like playing at the time, that's all ;)

#57 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostMatte Black, on 21 November 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

I also found this rather intertaining.

"A weekly in-game livestream event that focuses on the biggest battles, killer Outfits and hanging out on Auraxis."

Not judging or anything yet, I do plan on checking out the game, but it is not a Mech Combat Game. ;)

But it's better... even if it's in a different stage of development, different type of game play. It's a F2P that just launched and if you want to bash on MWO it makes good fodder. Sadly rather than play this awesome game some folks feel the need to come here and advertise for it rather than play it. I guess maybe it's not that awesome.

#58 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostReoh, on 21 November 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Calling a launch a beta is a lie, but let me check.

Yep, that's the word I meant to use, but to extend it MWO is also not launching in 2 days.

At least, not that I've heard. ;)

Well, I'll give you inaccurate... but if you are trying to accuse of intentionally trying to deceive people, that's a stretch, son.

#59 tenderloving

• Survivor
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostPhatel, on 21 November 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

There is no difference. If you are gonna call it a "beta" but have the store available and clearly stated that you will not be wiping anything, TADA you launched it! You are just so uncomfortable with your ability to implement content and bug free patches that you feel the need to hide behind the "it's beta" stamp. That way when things are not in, it's buggy and your game looks like crap people will go "it's beta".

No, no it's not. This is a game in launch hiding behind a beta tag, wich it could keep for the next 6 years and would change nothing about the actual game at all. There is nothing coming when they remove beta, no big anything at any point. Welcome to LIVE! (beta version)

When exactly does it stop being beta? Is it Community Warfare? Is it Merc Corps? The way things are going, this "Open Beta" will still be in place in 2015.

They are taking people's money. This is the game. At this point it is beta in name only.

I'm glad PS2 is around now. Hopefully I will forget about MWO and rediscover it 13 months from now.

Edited by tenderloving, 21 November 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#60 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostCol Forbin, on 21 November 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Was I really not clear in my OP? My aim is not to sway anyone to play PS2. I'm just sharing thoughts and personal experience, and what PS2 does right that MWO could learn from....

Right, then you specifically said that PS2 and MWO, two different genres were competitors. Which when you say one is worse seems like you're also saying one is better and if you care about what people spend time on instead of the actual genre then MWO has a lot more competition than just PS2.

Which is the new Hawken apparently.

Of course if you're just sharing thoughts then by all means but since we're talking about FPS's at least I hope most people can agree at least MWO wasn't made by DICE. NDA or not no one would STILL be able to even get into the game to take pictures of it ;)

View PostMatte Black, on 21 November 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

Yeah that was sort of my point and not exactly the topic at hand.

View PostSamantha, on 21 November 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

My dad was a BT nut and i liked MW 4 alot, reading the posts of the TTer's hating life when MWO started straying off canon was awesome lol.

Scary to think of what it would have been like if MW4 had forums like these... at least this looks closer to Battletech than MW4 did.

Edited by Karyudo ds, 21 November 2012 - 12:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users