Personalized Controls

17 replies to this topic

#1 Fiveiron

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

I've always played MW4 with my old Sidewinder II joystick, but since the announcement of this game I've been seriously thinking of all the ways I can over complicate my setup. I'm talking foot pedals, three joysticks, steering wheel ect.

What setups are everyone else using and what advantages does it give you?

#2 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

I would play only with a combination of chopsticks and power of mind if they implemented it. :D And... I tried Mechwarrior 4 Mercs with a steering wheel. A Logitech G27 which I call my own. Surprisingly it works. It just lacks an axis. It wouldn´t even miss an axis if it accepted my clutch as a single axis. But its possible. If you like pain. In your hands. And your mind. :)

#3 Nav

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

I'll be using a Saitek X-52 Pro Joystick/Throttle.

Also, lets just hope Track IR is supported.

#4 Fiveiron

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:16 AM

View PostNav, on 04 November 2011 - 06:22 AM, said:

Ya, I've been seriously considering that set, was just never sure if it was worth the $100+ price tag.

#5 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

View PostFiveiron, on 04 November 2011 - 07:16 AM, said:

Ya, I've been seriously considering that set, was just never sure if it was worth the $100+ price tag.

It is. Just be sure to buy the X52 Pro and not the regular X52. Its worldds between those... but the X52 Pro really was a dream come true for me. :) Its a real hotas set.. no need to get your hands of it.

#6 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:22 AM

The way I liked playing MW3/MW4 was using my now-dead Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, but especially in 4, it was often hard to be as effective as I was just using a keyboard+mouse. It's not that it was impossible to be competitive, far from it, but I always found that frustrating. The stick just wasn't as accurate or precise at aiming as a mouse was.

Hopefully, in this game, that implementation will be improved. If not, I'll just accept the handicap. I am NOT piloting a mech with a mouse :)

#7 Ennui

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

View PostNav, on 04 November 2011 - 06:22 AM, said:

If Track IR is supported for MWO then I will buy a Track IR rig instantly... been waiting for the right reason to.

I've traditionally played MechWarrior games just with mouse/keyboard but I've been planning on picking up a joystick for BF3 anyway so I might give that a try.

#8 CloudCobra

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 87 posts
  • LocationAnchorage,AK

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

I have to say i think im willing to buy the very best set up i can find when this comes out. F2P = cheaper start up costs so I'll just use the money on a nice rig if my Ace-edge isn't supported.

#9 Fiveiron

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

I've never even heard of Track IR, and now I have to get it.
How do explain to my wife that I need $300 in peripherals to play a free game?

#10 Fiveiron

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

View Postcatamount, on 04 November 2011 - 07:22 AM, said:

The way I liked playing MW3/MW4 was using my now-dead Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, but especially in 4, it was often hard to be as effective as I was just using a keyboard+mouse. It's not that it was impossible to be competitive, far from it, but I always found that frustrating. The stick just wasn't as accurate or precise at aiming as a mouse was.

Hopefully, in this game, that implementation will be improved. If not, I'll just accept the handicap. I am NOT piloting a mech with a mouse :)

I hear you.
Even if a keyboard and mouse where more precise, this is Mechwarrior, our one legitimate excuse to turn our desk into a cockpit.

#11 Nav

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

View Postcatamount, on 04 November 2011 - 07:22 AM, said:

The problem with the Sidewinder Force Feedback joysticks I had was exactly as you state: aiming accuracy. It would feel great to get the physical feedback about what your mech was doing, each step it was taking, but that moment you get hit or want to line something up, things got difficult, because now your hand was fighting the joystick movements, and AC20 round were not hitting their mark. Meanwhile your non-force feedback opponent would be landing critical after critical.... <quick, snap out of it... or its back to the therapist!> :D

But a FULL HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) system, is a MUCH different feel to a joystick with a throttle attached to the base, in the form of a small lever. You have to use it to experience, just how much more control you get. And it is well worth the money.

Here a link with some cheapish sort of deals, post up any cheaper buys that you guys find:
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000LQ4HTS

I think that if they can somehow implement Track IR within the game as a controller to somehow assist with aiming, it will bring things a step closer to the neuro-helmet philosophy (or maybe I'm off in my thinking here?).

Edited by Nav, 04 November 2011 - 05:11 PM.

#12 Nav

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

View PostFiveiron, on 04 November 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

I've never even heard of Track IR, and now I have to get it.
How do explain to my wife that I need $300 in peripherals to play a free game?

Track IR has been out for a few years now. I have a Track IR 3, but they are up to the 5th version now. It basically tracks your head movements (now in 6 degrees of movement). So in essence, your head in the game is indepent of your other game controls. If you move your head a little in real life , this translate into the same movement in the game. Improves spatial awareness and increases game immersion incredibly!

With regards tot he wife... well each situation is different. Luckily I had most of my toys before I got married. Maybe just save up a little bit over time 20 bucks a week for 3.75 months (enough time before MWO comes out), where she of aware of what your doing? Or maybe pose the question of how much she might spend on getting her hair done, which doesnt last for long, whereas your financial investment will last you for years Then just go and buy the stuff. Good luck mate! :)

<insert disclaimer here, common sense and reason should be exercised; an understanding of said wife's temperament; not responsible for death or grievous bodily harm etc, etc...> :D

Edited by Nav, 04 November 2011 - 05:23 PM.

#13 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

I hate to be the stick in the mud, but I'm sticking with my tried-and-true standard-fare Keyboard and Mouse. Precision aiming and access to all of the keys and toggles I need sitting on my left hand... it's indispensable to me.

Maybe in the distant future I'll add some pedals to the combination since my feet aren't doing anything, but KBM is something that I've become fond of after growing up without the means to pay for a stick and throttle.

#14 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:46 AM

Force Feedback was always something turned off in games, because yes, it really always does confer a disadvantage in MP (almost regardless of the game).

That said, I'm not sure what difference it makes having a separate throttle as opposed to just having on the base of the stick makes. It's really just the stick I care about in terms of accuracy, and sadly, while I wasn't exactly sporting the highest end stick known to man, I doubt the room for improvement was such that it would overtake a mouse for accuracy. I think that failing is just inherent to joysticks in MW4, though thankfully not in every situation. Even most mouse-flyers I know from other games are having a hard time not greatly preferring a stick in Battlefield 3, especially for the choppers.

Hopefully this game falls more on the BF3 side and less on the MW4 side. In any case, I am NOT piloting a mech with a keyboard and mouse :)

#15 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:49 AM

Of course, that said, with my Force Feedback 2 gone, and my cheap Logitech stick just not living up, I'm still in the market for a new stick, so I may still seriously consider that Saitek X52. Thanks for the suggestions.

#16 Fiveiron

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

I wonder if there's a hack to hook a Kinect up to my PC, then I could stomp around my living room like Godzilla.

#17 Nav

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

View Postcatamount, on 05 November 2011 - 06:46 AM, said:

That said, I'm not sure what difference it makes having a separate throttle as opposed to just having on the base of the stick makes. It's really just the stick I care about in terms of accuracy...

Yes, I get your logic, because that is what I used to say too. It probably applies more to combat flight simulators than Mechs.

With the combat flight sims, its a level of control that can only be explained through experiencing it. It really helps you control your airspeed, for precision positioning of your aircraft, on the tail of your opponent.

With both flights sims and mech sims, its the number of buttons at your finger tips. It can be underestimated the level of fidelity gained form not having to look for that split second at which key you need to press.

Thats just my experience, but everyone will find what works for them and should go with whatever they are most comfortable. :)

Edited by Nav, 05 November 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#18 CasualT

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

I've always used a CH F14 fighter stick and my keyboard, but this time around I've been thinking I should go with those Joystick and throttle combos. I've been reading that a lot of players use the Saitek X-52.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users