Dragon Without Xl

49 replies to this topic

#41 Elandyll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

I was running a DRG-1C w/ 240std waiting to have the money for a 300 XL with the following build:

1x Gauss
4x Med Las
AMS

Endo Steel
DHS
Max armor except legs (total around 370)

And with great success, even if 64kph was a bit slow at times.

The XL gave me not only speed (back to 81kph), but an additional 1 ton that I put into yet another DHS (I rarely overheat tbh, but Caustic is always a nasty one)

So the mech itself is like my favorite build (tempted by a CTF as well, but I'd like now to save for a Fatlas or Stalker, I also have a Jenner) -but- I saw something awful happen: Now if I lose a match and get cored, I actually -lose- CBills. Up to 20k Cbills on a bad loss.

Playing only Pug, I'm not even sure I can actually afford to run my build that took me so long to save Cbills for. I find that completely stupid.

#42 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostElandyll, on 13 December 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

So the mech itself is like my favorite build (tempted by a CTF as well, but I'd like now to save for a Fatlas or Stalker, I also have a Jenner) -but- I saw something awful happen: Now if I lose a match and get cored, I actually -lose- CBills. Up to 20k Cbills on a bad loss.

Playing only Pug, I'm not even sure I can actually afford to run my build that took me so long to save Cbills for. I find that completely stupid.

Yep, there are no magic pills in this game. But...you don't have to repair your XL between matches. It'll automatically get repaired to 25% (I think that's the number), will operate at full capacity, and is not affected by critical hit damage (presently). Since it's worth 15 hit points fully repaired, it'll be fragile at 3.75, but that's relevant only when all your armor is gone. On the Dragon, I never had too much issue with the side torsos, but heavily armored my front center and didn't turn my back on anything nasty. It can take a beating even with a damaged engine.

You'll last a little longer with the extra 11.25 engine hitpoints, but is it worth the 60K repair bill or downsizing to a STD?

#43 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostXenonCx, on 13 December 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

You'll last a little longer with the extra 11.25 engine hitpoints, but is it worth the 60K repair bill or downsizing to a STD?

Stuffing a SRM-6 in the CT has gotten me very far, soaks up what would've been engine damage. SRMs are good up close anyways.

#44 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 11 December 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

I use XL350s in two of my Dragons and a XL320 in the other. With speed tweak, the XL350 hits 101kph while still carrying a nice compliment of fire power.

I've very rarely side cored. The gigantic CT box manages to catch every shot and beam in the game. Good news is your XL vulnerability isn't an issue, bad news is concentrated damage can add up quickly if they get any kind of shot at you, so stay light on those Dragon claws!

Where did you get your signature from? I think I know the artist, but can't find it in my favorites etc. If you could tell me I will give you a first born.

#45 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

OP, the only dragon worth fielding is one with an XL engine.
I'm not sure how you are dying due to ST shots considering how tiny the ST is. You've probably lost every other piece of armor in the process already.

Not only that, but the only good dragon is a fast one. (which means 300 or better) Anything slower than that and you might as well just use a kitty cat or caterpillar instead.

Dragons are not brawlers. Dragons are Calvary. Or High Mobility Snipers. If you're in a furball that isn't already pitched heavily in your favor, you're doing it wrong and will die horribly regardless of your engine choice.

Edited by Mavairo, 13 December 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#46 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

Running Dragon without XL is stupid. No offense to anyone :)

#47 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I've been piloting Atlases since closed beta and I always admired the armor/speed of the Dragon. I picked one up yesterday and I'm having to retrain my brawler mentality to more of support, hit and run capture and defend/capture. It's a nice change of pace and although it's a challenge, I look forward to improving my abilities in this mech style.

#48 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

I got a Dragon 1C earlier today (didn't realize they were so cheap, c-bill-wise). Right now it's using my Ilya Muromet's 280XL since I don't really buy engines. Once I go DHS I might run it with 300 standard while I farm for more stuff but its repairs with the 280XL have been acceptable so far (it runs at 75 kph which isn't too bad).

It's not gonna be fun farming for a 360 XL (I prefer buying mechs over engines), but I think my Awesome 9M can use it at least. B)

Running it with 280XL, 2x LL, 2x ML 1x SRM2, 1x MG right now. Pretty random setup but it doesn't have Endo/DHS yet so I just tossed in whatever fit with some SHS.

Should be much easier to play around with once I get it some DHS. :lol:

#49 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostElizander, on 16 December 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

I got a Dragon 1C earlier today (didn't realize they were so cheap, c-bill-wise). Right now it's using my Ilya Muromet's 280XL since I don't really buy engines. Once I go DHS I might run it with 300 standard while I farm for more stuff but its repairs with the 280XL have been acceptable so far (it runs at 75 kph which isn't too bad).

It's not gonna be fun farming for a 360 XL (I prefer buying mechs over engines), but I think my Awesome 9M can use it at least. B)

Running it with 280XL, 2x LL, 2x ML 1x SRM2, 1x MG right now. Pretty random setup but it doesn't have Endo/DHS yet so I just tossed in whatever fit with some SHS.

Should be much easier to play around with once I get it some DHS. :lol:

It's a glorious feeling using the XL360, makes the stock -1N run much better.

With such a big engine, you control the fighting distance, LRM far, AC/5 mid, M.Las close. It's comparable to piloting a "Mad Cat" or "Vulture".

Edited by Stingz, 16 December 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#50 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostStingz, on 16 December 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

It's a glorious feeling using the XL360, makes the stock -1N run much better.

With such a big engine, you control the fighting distance, LRM far, AC/5 mid, M.Las close. It's comparable to piloting a "Mad Cat" or "Vulture".

Ah well, I need to get like 15k exp each on a couple of my hunchies to finish up elites anyway. I'll probably have enough for the engine by then. B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users