How Do I Use Tag?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

I know what it does (at least I think I do.) But how do I use it?

Is it passive and works all the time?

Do I have to bind it to a weapon group and fire it?

Do I have to hold down the fire button to keep it working?

Should I bind it to the same group as my LRM's?

#2 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

You have to actively fire it non-stop at the effective range. It has a short range though, so I don't think it will help you with LRMs.

#3 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

You have to hold down the button for TAG to work, so you should put it in a weapon group you can easily reach the button for. The range is only 450 meters, so it's best used by spotter 'Mechs.

#4 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

Its good to use it with LRMS. More than once you get LoS in a Match and the Range of the Target is below 450.

#5 KylleX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 122 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, Oregon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

A useful tip that I have spread to my clan-mates and I do myself is to go to the settings and bind your Left Shift key to weapon group 6 (because honestly who uses 6 weapon groups anyways!?!) and then set you TAG to group six in-game and BAM! PRESTO! that pinky finger sitting near shift now has something to do with itself all game long!

#6 Greers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

TAG has a range of 450m. That's why I try to install one in every LRM-Mech. LRMs still work well inside that range-bracket and who's carrying TAG nowadays as a scout? Self-TAGing FTW ;)

I don't think it's working with Artemis though, that's why I didn't install it into my Artemis-LRM-Boat.

#7 Justa Dogtrooper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

View PostRevorn, on 21 November 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Its good to use it with LRMS. More than once you get LoS in a Match and the Range of the Target is below 450.

All you realy concerned with is "is it worth it"
You will make back the cost of your TAG in the first game and its all proffit after that...

As Revorn points out, there is a sweet spot of between 200-500 with LRM+Tag
Add some sreak to the mix and how the mighty fall.
Add to that the extra damage done by teamates, who also benefit from your tagging...

K ching

Ps I have tag tied to every single group, in other words it fires every time.
Even if its not missiles i'm firing.....and Im not regretting it.

Edited by Justa Dogtrooper, 23 November 2012 - 05:54 AM.

#8 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

View PostRyvucz, on 21 November 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

You have to actively fire it non-stop at the effective range. It has a short range though, so I don't think it will help you with LRMs.

Not quite true. I witnessed an Awesome packed with just LRMs besides a tag and a ML. That guy tagged his targets between 200 and 450 m for himself and that way killed most targets with one to three alpas from his LRMs. Was fun to look at.

#9 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 23 November 2012 - 05:55 AM, said:

Not quite true. I witnessed an Awesome packed with just LRMs besides a tag and a ML. That guy tagged his targets between 200 and 450 m for himself and that way killed most targets with one to three alpas from his LRMs. Was fun to look at.

Ah, okay. I haven't touched TAG or NARC since closed beta when they were first introduced. I tend to want to keep my target 500 - 800 meters away, streakers are an issue for a not so fast mech. =P

#10 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

TAG is nice in that it generates 0 heat and can be fired to try and "paint" a target continually- which is good, cause a TAG paint only lasts about a second after you stop. Honestly, I tie it to all of my weapon groups, LRMs included and as long as there's a target inside 450m, I'm constantly tapping something to keep that beam looking for a hit. Well worth it, especially on a 'Mech that has a spare energy hardpoint.

As long as a target is painted (a crosshairs symbol will show up on the target), LRMs become much more accurate and focused. Even now, that's enough to make LRMs go from sandblasting to rapidly wearing down a target, and you'll want to hug anyone who's nice enough to brawl with one mounted. Painted targets almost always get priority from smart fire support- if we have LOS to target, anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users