14 replies to this topic

#1 no coast punk

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Posted Image

The interior of the cataphract cockpit is incomplete. No textures on the left side.

Seriously guys, it's the continued massive inattention to detail that makes PGI get shredded in the forums. How did nobody spot this in early testing?

Edited by Niko Snow, 20 November 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#2 syngyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I'm leaning more towards it being a case of "we need to get this 'Mech out the door now, we can finish texturing the rest of the cockpit that most people will never look at later."

#3 Jacob Dieffenbach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

The same thing happened with the K2's stub-arms--they launched the stub arms without textures, and people lived for the week or two it took for them to put out the texture.

If they took the time to finish that texture, they would've had to delay the Cataphract to next week's patch. Then people would've whined that PGI can't hold to a promise.

I'd suggest a bit less snobbish eyerolling at PGI leaving out a minor texture. Posting a thread to remind them to finish the texture (even though I highly doubt they will forget): good. Posting a thread that criticizes their attention to detail when the attention to detail you desire would delay the 'Mech by potentially weeks, which would be far worse? Bad.

#4 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of how wrong you are. Seriously, though. When you turn your camera past the point it is supposed to turn, don't expect to see anything pretty. You just have your FOV zoomed way out to a silly level.

Posted Image

Edited by Franklen Avignon, 20 November 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#5 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

My CTF-3D has the cockpit textures all around...

#6 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

They probably did notice it - but I, for one, can deal with some incomplete textures in the name of getting the mech on the battlefield. Part and parcel of being a beta tester methinks. The head hitbox, on the other hand, is a different ludicrously-large-bullet-magnet-shaped-kettle-of-fish entirely.

#7 Randodan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Just FYI -- All the 'Mech cockpits are unfinished if you increase your FOV settings. :ph34r:

#8 Dr Killinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostRandodan, on 20 November 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

Just FYI -- All the 'Mech cockpits are unfinished if you increase your FOV settings. :angry:

Give this man a whiskey. I'm sure they'll limit FOV one day to prevent people seeing too far back.

#9 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationa creative suite

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

View PostRandodan, on 20 November 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

Just FYI -- All the 'Mech cockpits are unfinished if you increase your FOV settings. :D

My FoV is perfectly normal but I can see the lack of a rear in my cockpit on a number of 'mechs.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Original poster: You have a field of view that is much higher than the intended field of view. If you did not change it, you would not see that under any circumstances.

Also have you noticed the new shutdown animation? It's designed to prevent the forward tilt that allowed normal FoV users to CTRL, look, CTRL again to look the full 180 to behind them.

While cutting off the textures on what is there does kind of suck, the reason that the rear is hollow is to be gentler on lower end systems since without modifying your config file, you'd never see it.

#11 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

View PostKoniving, on 20 November 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

Original poster: You have a field of view that is much higher than the intended field of view. If you did not change it, you would not see that under any circumstances.

actually you just need to use CTRL with normal FOV.

#12 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

Yes, that's very interesting. I didn't even know it was possible to look at the inside of your cockpit. Now that I do know, I can't help to ask why one would want to do such a thing? What's the point?

Anyways, cool story bro! I hope the devs focus their efforts on fixing real problems, like weapon balancing, framrates, memory leaks etc.

Have a nice day!

#13 no coast punk

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

It's the standard FOV. Torso twisted all the way to the left, while using CTRL to look far left to shoot at a mech directly behind me.

#14 Like a Sir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 589 posts
  • LocationUSA NW

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostBarghest Whelp, on 21 November 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

Yes, that's very interesting. I didn't even know it was possible to look at the inside of your cockpit. Now that I do know, I can't help to ask why one would want to do such a thing? What's the point?

Anyways, cool story bro! I hope the devs focus their efforts on fixing real problems, like weapon balancing, framrates, memory leaks etc.

Have a nice day!

To answer your question, you can still aim your arm mounted weapons if they go back that far while in free look. Given I have not seen anyone do it, but in theory you could look straight, free look, and shoot the Jenner on your right, without ever facing him.

#15 Randodan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

View Postno coast punk, on 21 November 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

It's the standard FOV. Torso twisted all the way to the left, while using CTRL to look far left to shoot at a mech directly behind me.

I'll be damned -- you're 100% correct. I just now tried that in my Atlas (default FOV), torso twisted all the way to the left, then CTRL-Mouse to look left, and the cockpit is completely unfinished. You can even see the map through the back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users