Posted Image

#2 El Penguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 478 posts
  • LocationAntartica

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

I'm not understanding the big complaints on this. This rarely happens to me or am I lucky?

Question though, when you guys have your base being cap, do you tell your team in chat for one or more people to go back if your not fast enough to defend? I always do and 95% of the time someone will listen and the capturing will be blocked. Hell sometimes people will over do it and have the frontline left and the base will be successfully defended by the whole or almost whole team but might cause a loss in being all destroyed if anyone was left behind.

I solo btw. (Can only put a few games in at a time) So this is all pubs.

Edited by El Penguin, 16 December 2012 - 06:09 AM.

#3 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

I disagree. Assault is a Cicada Game Mode.

Oh and before I forget: Assault is an Objective driven game mode.

The objective is to capture the enemy's base.

If you fail to defend the base you thus deserve to lose the game.

If you manage to get past enemy lines and capture you actually did a damn fine job.

If you prefer brawling and tearing each other apart that's just tough luck as Assault in contrast to the general misconception around these forums is NOT Team Deathmatch.

Instead of whining about people that try to reach the goal of the gamemode you'd better ask PGI to implement a TDM mode where the only way to victory is killing the whole opposing force.

Edited by Jason Parker, 16 December 2012 - 06:15 AM.

#4 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

It looks like to me all of them besides you did a capture rush and it is easy to do if you are all on one side and your opponent takes other side

#5 Procobator

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

The first game end screenshot looks like your team took off to cap and left you behind. Maybe because you were slower than them? Second one looks like you helped your team cap. I too am failing to see the complaint being made here.

#6 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

So you did an ECM base rush?
and the other team doesn't defended their base?.

what is the problem? the other team doesn't defended their base and/or doesn't react to base cap.

So you are trying to tell us that you should defend your own base and need to respond to ECM mechs when playing Assault?

wow..that is new...

#7 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

Sorry that you signed up for a giant fighting robot game that is actually just a very bad racing game in its current state.

#8 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Am so glad the OP posted this as this is exactly what I predicted would happen when ECM arrived, love it I absolutely love it, and you all flamed me and called me a whiner LOL

LRM Boats prevented this type of thing but now the Artillery has gone and the bases are wide open, pop ECM, huddle and run.

/me sits back and says I told you so, I told you so...damn I love being right.

#9 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

View PostMack1, on 16 December 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

Am so glad the OP posted this as this is exactly what I predicted would happen when ECM arrived, love it I absolutely love it, and you all flamed me and called me a whiner LOL

LRM Boats prevented this type of thing but now the Artillery has gone and the bases are wide open, pop ECM, huddle and run.

/me sits back and says I told you so, I told you so...damn I love being right.

The game was like this to a point before ECM. ECM just makes it even easier, because everything is so slow that being like, 1/3rd of the way across the map is apparently too far "over-committed" to an attack that you can't turn back in time to stop a cap. At least in World of Tanks, any damage done to an enemy inside the base resets the capture percentage he's responsible for, and the cap percentage RESETS when enemies leave the zone. Those two modifications would make this much better, but for some reason it's not implemented.

The square would still be a viable choice to end a game instead of hunting a powered down commando who is 1500m away, or being kited by the last Jenner on the opposing team in your Hunchback, but it would be easier to protect, encouraging actual combat.

That said, this is a horrid game mode and my understanding when I first logged into closed beta half a year ago that it was a "placeholder" for a better game mode or something, but here we here, mid-December, and they will be adding three more control points for a "new" game mode on the 18th. Yay.

Edited by Volume, 16 December 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#10 Xenophontis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

You do realize, without an objective, this game would be twice as boring.

BaseCap Warrior Online versus 15 Minute Camping Trip Warrior Online. Take you pick.

I like Assault mode. People with bad positioning and tactics lose the game. People who out maneuver the opponent get quick cash and can drop again.

I literally don't understand people that complain about this game mode. Maybe 1 or 2 games out of every 10 games end up like this, at least from my experience. And I've played several hundred games, I'm sure lots of people have played way more. Games take 7-8 minutes generally, maybe a little less, maybe a little more. You can literally redrop immediately after an easy win or easy lose. Take the damn C-bills and get on with your life. Matches don't take near long enough, nor are they serious enough to even be worth crying about.

Edited by Xenophontis, 16 December 2012 - 06:54 AM.

#11 El Penguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 478 posts
  • LocationAntartica

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

View PostVolume, on 16 December 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

The game was like this to a point before ECM. ECM just makes it even easier, because everything is so slow that being like, 1/3rd of the way across the map is apparently too far "over-committed" to an attack that you can't turn back in time to stop a cap. At least in World of Tanks, any damage done to an enemy inside the base resets the capture percentage he's responsible for, and the cap percentage RESETS when enemies leave the zone. Those two modifications would make this much better, but for some reason it's not implemented.

The square would still be a viable choice to end a game instead of hunting a powered down commando who is 1500m away, or being kited by the last Jenner on the opposing team in your Hunchback, but it would be easier to protect, encouraging actual combat.

That said, this is a horrid game mode and my understanding when I first logged into closed beta half a year ago that it was a "placeholder" for a better game mode or something, but here we here, mid-December, and they will be adding three more control points for a "new" game mode on the 18th. Yay.

You know going in the capzone blocks the cap process right? One thing you can do is get a light to go back and slow down the process while more backup is coming back if needed. The light doesn't even need to sit there and take hits, it can move around back and forth off and on the square and it will still slow it enough to have your forces to come back.

Do people even try to defend or even think of a way to stop the capturing? It's like everyone just goes "My base is being capped, oh well... next match please". It really isn't that hard.

Also sometimes having one person cap a base is a BAD idea. If your base is being attacked you can potentially sweep the remaining enemys with your full force then go back to kill the capping light or whatever it is. This situation doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. Even if your base bar is almost drained you can (Like i said above) have your light rush to cap block it before you lose. And if not sweep, use your 8v7 advantage to put it anywhere like 8v5 or 7v4 (examples) then go back to deal with it. The game needs team communication. It's not a mindless game.

Edited by El Penguin, 16 December 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#12 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War .

#13 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

I agree with Volume about the way WOT do it. But I know that before ECM this rarely happened, LRM's would annhilate anyone who even dare run across the map out in the open, well i would anyway.

#14 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

View PostEl Penguin, on 16 December 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

You know going in the capzone blocks the cap process right? One thing you can do is get a light to go back and slow down the process while more backup is coming back if needed. The light doesn't even need to sit there and take hits, it can move around back and forth off and on the square and it will still slow it enough to have your forces to come back.

Do people even try to defend or even think of a way to stop the capturing? It's like everyone just goes "My base is being capped, oh well... next match please". It really isn't that hard.

Also sometimes having one person cap a base is a BAD idea. If your base is being attacked you can potentially sweep the remaining enemys with your full force then go back to kill the capping light or whatever it is. This situation doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. Even if your base bar is almost drained you can (Like i said above) have your light rush to cap block it before you lose. And if not sweep, use your 8v7 advantage to put it anywhere like 8v5 or 7v4 (examples) then go back to deal with it. The game needs team communication. It's not a mindless game.

Yes, I do. Here, let me give you my run down from another thread:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That said, I don't think TDM is the kind of game mode that would work well in MWO, but it's often that I either win or lose without firing a shot, or get capped while fighting tooth and nail somewhere else on the map. Even when I break off to disengage, 80% of the time I can't get there in time, and when I do, ECM/Streaks usually either kill me or force me out. It depends on the 'Mech I'm in, but generally speaking, if I'm fast enough to return to the base, I'm not strong enough to solo every enemy who is positioned inside the square.

Normally I'd just run around inside the square to counter their cap, but a player can't exactly dodge shots in this game when movement is the way it is and streaks hit 100% of the time. Basically, pillar-humping with the random object (the "base" I guess) in the middle of the square is the only way to prolong the inevitable defeat, or hope that my team gets to the other square in time. Again, running around in circles isn't exactly "fun" to me.

The most success I've had is just loading up my Atlas, go to our square, and alt tab to the forums, tabbing in to alpha some Commando now and then, usually winning or losing to no consequence. I do like the fighting to stay alive while my team caps, and sometimes I have exciting mop-up runs, but either way, it's not the kind of gameplay I find acceptable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Literally staying at base and alpha striking kiddies who stroll up in XL engines is what I do most of the time now. It's pretty stupid, and I'd prefer a game mode that didn't encourage people to walk into my crosshair, because it's not really challenging or fun. Better yet, I'd prefer a game mode that rewarded me for skillful piloting instead of "back against a wall, torso pointing at tunnel entrance" on Frozen City, etc.

#15 Dibster

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

View PostVolume, on 16 December 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

a giant fighting robot game that is actually just a very bad racing game in its current state.

This, pretty much.

Of course, it doesn't always happen, but too often anyway if you consider lesser variations of the same thing. In many games maybe two or three mechs have actual combat and the rest just zoom by to cap. People either can't make it to defend in time or just don't care. Often they're just more likely to win by running to enemy base and hoping the cap is faster. So yeah, racing game.

Since the game doesn't give a defending force any advantage over an attacking one, anyone left in defence is often in a position of taking the full untouched 8 players on as their own team just zoomed by them to cap. This is what happened in the first shot. You might win the match because you delay enough, but was it fun? Hell no, I say. The game mode should be tuned to actually encourage combat. Perhaps stop the capping if both bases are being capped simultaneously. That way both teams can leave a capper and the rest will duke it out in glorious combat fit for a mechwarrior and nobody will have to play "find the shut-down commando" either.

EDIT: What WoT does sounds good.

Edited by Dibster, 16 December 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#16 Jalak Bali

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

View PostMack1, on 16 December 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

No, it didn't. Base rush is done by fast mechs. No amount of LRM would be able to stop this. LRM kills slow mechs. You don't see Atlases base rushing.

#17 El Penguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 478 posts
  • LocationAntartica

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostVolume, on 16 December 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

Yes, I do. Here, let me give you my run down from another thread:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That said, I don't think TDM is the kind of game mode that would work well in MWO, but it's often that I either win or lose without firing a shot, or get capped while fighting tooth and nail somewhere else on the map. Even when I break off to disengage, 80% of the time I can't get there in time, and when I do, ECM/Streaks usually either kill me or force me out. It depends on the 'Mech I'm in, but generally speaking, if I'm fast enough to return to the base, I'm not strong enough to solo every enemy who is positioned inside the square.

Normally I'd just run around inside the square to counter their cap, but a player can't exactly dodge shots in this game when movement is the way it is and streaks hit 100% of the time. Basically, pillar-humping with the random object (the "base" I guess) in the middle of the square is the only way to prolong the inevitable defeat, or hope that my team gets to the other square in time. Again, running around in circles isn't exactly "fun" to me.

The most success I've had is just loading up my Atlas, go to our square, and alt tab to the forums, tabbing in to alpha some Commando now and then, usually winning or losing to no consequence. I do like the fighting to stay alive while my team caps, and sometimes I have exciting mop-up runs, but either way, it's not the kind of gameplay I find acceptable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Literally staying at base and alpha striking kiddies who stroll up in XL engines is what I do most of the time now. It's pretty stupid, and I'd prefer a game mode that didn't encourage people to walk into my crosshair, because it's not really challenging or fun. Better yet, I'd prefer a game mode that rewarded me for skillful piloting instead of "back against a wall, torso pointing at tunnel entrance" on Frozen City, etc.

If its multiple enemys you need to ask for others to fall back with you. You can sometimes estimate this with the speed of the bar dropping. And if you are an assault that can't fall back type in chat for a light to fall back and defend or slow it down until you or others get there (Though I think its best for an assault not to be the one to defend). You guys make it seem like the base gets captured in a couple seconds. If I remember right, its only like that when almost the whole team is capping your base but theres a way to scout for that. And like I said before, skimming the base a couple of times can save a couple of seconds of time if your a light or just fast.

#18 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

I personally like assault mode. I would like a death match mode, but only if they limit the time of that mode more, or introduce a way to keep people from power down hiding or running for 14 min.

#19 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

View PostJalak Bali, on 16 December 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

No, it didn't. Base rush is done by fast mechs. No amount of LRM would be able to stop this. LRM kills slow mechs. You don't see Atlases base rushing.

Good LRM Boats do, they stay at 600 Meters from the Frontline in sweetspot killing range and when Capturing starts, they have their Nice Sweet spots and start bombing the Capters.. best had been when there had been a Fast scout then the Capters were bombt into oblivion within 3 Salvos...

Sweet Memories...

Now i am a COm-2D Base Rusher myself because ... LRM boating Sucks thanks to ECM... clear i do damage and lot of them but you are useless in Assault because you can defend your Objektives anymore.

And you don't have solo spotters which to assist because the are always out numbered by ECM Mechs..
So you are directfire 400 Meters only... doing lot of damage but nothing usefull to the Team.. it's like beeing in a Egoshooter...

So Lets Basecap another 200 Times with the Fast Spy which don't have to go out of Invisible Mode to Capture... Making money is GOOOD.
( Since Saturday i earned 12,5M now in my Com-2D Katchink)

Edited by Elkarlo, 16 December 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#20 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Stay on base than? That would solve your problem with no effort at all :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users