Ac/20 Vs Gauss Rifle

48 replies to this topic

#41 TurinAlexander

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I've run both a Gauss cat and an AC/20 cat. I by far prefer the AC/20s. The extra ten damage is very noticable. I've taken to headshotting people with it, which can drop any mech in a single volley if you have the skill to do it. Also, it's hilarious to nail an strafing Commando with a volley and just annihlate it. They think with ECM they are invulberable, I like to show them that it's no the case.

With DHS I don't have any problem with heat. The only problem I have is that I can only hold 42 rounds of ammo, and I had to downgrade to the 225 engine to do that. Anything slower wouldn't allow me to keep up with my targets, so I have to really pick my shots. I don't have room for any other weapons, so if I run out of ammo, I'm screwed. Still, I love the build.

Edited by TurinAlexander, 15 December 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#42 Adeptus Odren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostWarrax the Chaos Warrior, on 15 December 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

The AC20 is like totally metal, while the Gauss is adult-contemporary. Do you want to be hardcore, or do you want to use the weapon your mom would use?

Man, this is the BEST justification for AC20 use! :blush:

#43 Mr 144

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Try them both. Seriously. The gauss 'should' be better, but honestly, I can't (ballistic) snipe. I've tried, god knows I've tried, but just not my thing. Oddly enough, I blow commando's in half relatively often with my AC/20. I've actually stopped using my MLs vs there lagshield and gone with SRMs and the '20 instead. For some odd reason, I can hit quite well with it, but am absolutely horribad with a gauss. I really can't stress the 'fun' of the slow projectile speed + Lag + netcode finally 'clicking' in your head and you begin to really start using it intentionally against lights....simply brutal :blush: Plan on practicing a long time, the inherent ammo count is very unforgiving.

The gauss 'let's you mount an XL' argument is a mixed bag IMO. The style build that suits the AC/20, is the same style build that expressly does not want to use an XL for the added brawling survivability. Whereas, the exploding gauss, and an XL just magnifies the risk of using the XL alone. I try hard NOT to use an XL in my brawlers....yes, sometimes it's worth the trade-off, but usually not.

Personal prefernce = AC/20
Math = Gauss

Mr 144

Edited by Mr 144, 15 December 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#44 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

I didn't know that gauss ammo doesn't explode. I thought all ammo explodes and therefore avoid placing in the head or torsos if possible. So WHY doesn't gauss ammo explode? Also what else doesn't explode besides gauss ammo (ballistics, missiles, machine gun ammo, AMS ammo, etc)? Is gauss ammo the only thing? Thanks.

#45 Vapor Trail

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • LocationNorfolk VA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

Gauss ammo should be the only ammo that doesn't explode...

This is because Gauss ammo is inert, and delivers energy through pure kinetic impact.

#46 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

As stated elsewhere, Gauss is definitively better - just carries higher risk if you take it into a brawl.

I still prefer the AC20, but I'm hoping for two buffs (+ the upcoming ballistics buff)
1) Make it do pinpoint instead of spread damage again.
2) Give it a little more health to account for taking up the most crit slots of any item - it is often quickly killed in a brawl.

#47 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

Gauss Rifle has tactical dominance. AC20 has close range dominance, if your loadout supports the AC20 it usually wins. So it depends on your style now and one day the map. Gauss Rifle fits all maps is worth noting.

#48 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 16 December 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

Gauss Rifle has tactical dominance. AC20 has close range dominance, if your loadout supports the AC20 it usually wins. So it depends on your style now and one day the map. Gauss Rifle fits all maps is worth noting.

True in a vacuum where the rest of your loadout doesn't matter. More complex in an actual brawl;
Gauss generates 1 less DPS but also has the lowest EHS in the game, allowing you to cram other weapons in for higher sustained heat engagement. It depends on what your mech can fit, but on say an Atlas D where you could do 2SRM6 + 4ML + Gauss, it will have better staying power in brawls than an AC20.

#49 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

I'm more afraid of someone with 2*AC20 then someone walking around with 2*Gauss. But that may be because I'm a brawler and know how to dodge those gauss slugs and most people who use AC20 are better at aiming then people who mount gauss imo. Thats because Gauss seems like a safe choise when they need to choose between those two.

Disclaimer: I use neither.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users