Which one is better and why?

#2 Vermaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

AC20 - weighs 14, 10 crits, ammo at 7/ton, range 270, 750 speed slug, 6 heat. Both the gun and ammo are cheaper.
Gauss - weighs 15, 7 crits, ammo at 10/ton, range 660, 1200 speed slug, 1 heat.

Brawler people like the AC20 for the extra damage, but you need to really learn how to lead a target and watch your range and ammo use, not to mention HEAT.

A gauss costs more, and is easier to "break" with the crit system. It will also "blow up" for 20 damage once they implement that. However, the slug is faster so you don't need to learn how to lead people as much, and the heat is a non issue.

They are both good for different things, but I generally prefer gauss in every circumstance.

#3 LaznAzn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Gauss.

Generates negligible heat.
Ammo doesn't explode. (The weapon does but for 20 damage, which is very little compared to a full blown ammo explosion)
Faster projectile speed and longer ranged.
Uses less crit slots and thus, has a lower chance of being crit if you fill the remaining slots with "filler" like Gauss ammo.

The Gauss is actually harder to break with the crit system for the above reason. If you fill the remaining crit locations with Gauss ammo or heatsinks, the chance that the actual rifle will be crit is much lower than that of an AC20. Not only that, but the AC20 requires heatsink padding which could be suboptimal since double heatsinks are incompatible with the AC20 (there's only a maximum of 2 slots left over where doubles require 3). (You could use Ac20 ammo, but that's a terrible idea of obvious reasons)

Edited by LaznAzn, 22 November 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#4 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

AC/20 generates 6 heat per shot, and deals max damage to 270m

Gauss generates 1 heat, and deals max damage (15dmg) to 660m

AC/20 ammo explodes, dealing 140 internal damage per ton of ammo that detonates in whatever bodypart.

Gauss Rifles explode, dealing 20 damage to wherever it's stored.

Gauss can be mounted on arms with free-range of motion, and in torsos with Xl engines.

AC/20 can do neither of those.

Gauss SLugs travel at 1200m/s

AC/20 slugs travel at 750m/s

They both have the same rate-of-fire (a first for any MW game, ever)

The Devs have thus-far given little-to-no incentive to use the AC/20, but I use it for Gunnery Training.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 22 November 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#5 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Gauss:
Less tonnage
Little to no heat production
Bullet speed/no arc so effective distance is 1000m+
15dmg with relativley quick cooldown
No minimum effective range
Less crit slots than an AC20

AC20
Ample heat production
Bullet drop (Makes sniping with it harder)
Cooldown time greater than a gauss
more CRIT slots than a gauss

Overall Gauss is better IMO

#6 Obadiah333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 638 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, Oregon

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Gauss is the be all end all of weapons. There is no comparison to any other weapon in the game that is even close. Always take guass if you must mount one of the two. Heck, take gauss and build your other weapon systems around it. If you can mount it, do it.

#7 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

For a brawler the higher damage and dps can come in useful, however I prefer other higher dips combos of AC's for brawling... the also have a longer range so you can still plink with them to be offputting to lrm boats... if your ONLY choice is ac20 or gauss and you want flexibility and long range firepower then the gauss

#8 Zakie Chan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

My Yen-Lo only packs AC/20.

I realize it its not statistically better. However, nothing is more satisfying than snagging a light with the 20.

The 20, like the Yen Lo, is not the best equipment available. However, for my playstyle and overall enjoyment, i wouldnt have it any other way.

Ps. Dont shoot my good arm. I love that arm. Its my best buddy and we try our hardest to land hits on super teleportation lights.

Thank you

#9 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Gauss is always better.

i prefer to use the AC20 though, it's so satisfying to use. I realize it is objectively worse though.

Edited by QuantumButler, 22 November 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#10 Felbombling

• 2,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Every number crunch tells you to take the Gauss Rifle, but testing the AC/20 out does yield some interesting results. The extra 5 points does mean something if the other weapons you have work well within the range envelope, such as Medium Lasers and/or SRMs & Streaks. A 'Phract with an AC/20 and 2x Medium Lasers linked to fire together will deal 30 damage on target. In the future I understand that the AC/20 will have solid knock-around for the target, as well. It won't cost you much to test drive the AC/20, so I say go for it. Keep in mind that you will enjoy the Gauss Rifle for all sorts of reasons, as well.

#11 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 22 November 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

Every number crunch tells you to take the Gauss Rifle, but testing the AC/20 out does yield some interesting results. The extra 5 points does mean something if the other weapons you have work well within the range envelope, such as Medium Lasers and/or SRMs & Streaks. A 'Phract with an AC/20 and 2x Medium Lasers linked to fire together will deal 30 damage on target. In the future I understand that the AC/20 will have solid knock-around for the target, as well. It won't cost you much to test drive the AC/20, so I say go for it. Keep in mind that you will enjoy the Gauss Rifle for all sorts of reasons, as well.

One thing the AC20 has that gauss lacks is that, in a K2 catapult, you can 1 hit kill a mech if your dual ac20 rounds land on the head, whereas dual gauss shots will leave the head with red internals.

I have gotten a number of kills from dual ac20 headshots in my ac20 k2, mostly by chance but still.

#12 LaznAzn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostQuantumButler, on 22 November 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

One thing the AC20 has that gauss lacks is that, in a K2 catapult, you can 1 hit kill a mech if your dual ac20 rounds land on the head, whereas dual gauss shots will leave the head with red internals.

I have gotten a number of kills from dual ac20 headshots in my ac20 k2, mostly by chance but still.

Has anyone simply tried a AC20 + a Gauss Rifle? It would have the same result but you would benefit from having a long range poke. Just an idea.

#13 hashinshin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

just tell this guy the honest no ******** answer

gauss is better.

#14 LaznAzn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

View Posthashinshin, on 22 November 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

just tell this guy the honest no ******** answer

gauss is better.

He asked why tho. :x

#15 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostLaznAzn, on 22 November 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

Has anyone simply tried a AC20 + a Gauss Rifle? It would have the same result but you would benefit from having a long range poke. Just an idea.

Problem with that is the AC20 prevents you from taking an XL engine, still it should be doable but I don't know how effective it will be.

The AC20 shots are much slower than gauss after all.

#16 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

which ever you use with greater joy is better for you sir.

#17 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

gauss is better but ac/20 is more satisfying for me.

really it comes down to whether you really need to run with a min/max mech all the time. if the answer is yes, then almost whatever mech you're using you want to use a combination of gauss, streaks, and MLs if they can be equipped. But then things get boring fast, so after a while you'll start doing ******** mechs like 2xLBX-10 3xSRM6 atlases just to have some fun.

#18 LaznAzn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Reminds me of the Small Laser vs. Small Pulse Laser debate.
In theory one is absolutely better, but people are simply drawn to the way the other "feels" as opposed to how it performs mathematically.

Edited by LaznAzn, 22 November 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#19 hashinshin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostLaznAzn, on 22 November 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

He asked why tho. :x

everyone is running around giving bla bla bla bla trying to make them seem even.

The guy wants to know which is better, say:

Gauss is better because it has a faster travel speed on the projectile, generates next to no hear, and still does 75% of the damage of an AC20. The heat saved will allow your other weapons to use that saved heat to out damage the AC20, making the gauss better all around.

#20 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

well, for me, I use Gauss Rifles for 2 reasons: good at ANY Range up to max range of course, and ammo? I can take crit shots to my ammo supply all day and not have a nasty explosion, unless, as we all know, pop my rifle and it hurts XD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users