Regular Soldiers As Part Of Background And/or Moba Style Mode

25 replies to this topic

Poll: Regular Soldiers As Part Of Background And/or Moba Style Mode (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Would regular soldiers help add some perspective to MWO?

1. Absolutely (40 votes [78.43%])

Percentage of vote: 78.43%

2. Naa (7 votes [13.73%])

Percentage of vote: 13.73%

3. Indifferent (4 votes [7.84%])

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

In a few of the Mech Warrior series, there were regular soldiers running around shooting at your mech. These soldiers didn't do any damage or influence the battle but they added significant perspective to your game. They showed that you are a giant towering machine. I feel MWO would benefit from having these same regular soldiers harmlessly shooting at your mech and add some immersion value to MWO. (biological life other than just pure metallic mechs) What do you guys think?

Game mode suggested by Sherbiz involving infantry:

View PostSherbniz, on 26 November 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

A MOBA style gamemode with NPC troops that move towards a mission goal on both sides. Mech pilots support them, by destroying enemy troops and their supporting mechs...

That'd be a great use for the flamer! Just fire into a squad and burn it all D:

Edited by Belkor, 27 November 2012 - 12:39 AM.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Yeah there needs to be a gamemode with npc vehicles and/or infantry. Its the only way to get a proper sense of scaling for the mechs. Right now they feel like theyre only 10-15 feet tall.

#3 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:40 AM

View PostKhobai, on 25 November 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

Yeah there needs to be a gamemode with npc vehicles and/or infantry. Its the only way to get a proper sense of scaling for the mechs. Right now they feel like theyre only 10-15 feet tall.

Yes definitely. Trees and structures serve as a poor comparison to mechs when you don't actually know the size of an average human being compared to those trees/structures. The trees could be miniature Christmas trees for all we know.

#4 zer0imh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 581 posts
  • LocationFomalhaut

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:43 AM

http://www.sarna.net...roops_(Rulebook)

Posted Image

i played this with my friends way back in 1992 ;)

Edited by zer0imh, 26 November 2012 - 03:44 AM.

#5 Sherbniz

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

Oh man, sounds sort of awesome.

A MOBA style gamemode with NPC troops that move towards a mission goal on both sides. Mech pilots support them, by destroying enemy troops and their supporting mechs...

#6 Vincent Lynch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

you really want to drop the frame rate further with that? when I think about how many additional CPU cycles per frame this would require, I don't even want to know the answer.
I'd rather have some destroyable buildings, than any fluff which takes up resources but will not influence gameplay at all.

#7 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

I agree with Vincent... the engine is heavy as it is and bogging it down with unnecessary stuffs further really achieves nothing.

#8 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

I'm not sure that the engine could handle it, but if it could then I do support this. Adding that sense of scale would really help immersion, especially for the weapons. It's easy to forget that weapons like the MG arrays are actually extremely powerful against smaller targets.

If they ever added any PvE, I'd be all for some sort of gamemode where you and your friends have to fight off waves of NPC armor too. However, that sadly seems a bit far fetched at the moment

#9 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

View PostBelkor, on 25 November 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

(...)
They showed that you are a walking skyscraper - a 40 story towering machine.
(...)

erm... the mechs in Battletech are only ~10m (+/- 3m) in height.
But this is just a detail... go ahead.

Spoiler

#10 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostBelkor, on 26 November 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:

Yes definitely. Trees and structures serve as a poor comparison to mechs when you don't actually know the size of an average human being compared to those trees/structures. The trees could be miniature Christmas trees for all we know.

Seems to me the vehicles all over the River map solve the "average human being" problem. Maybe that's just me. :wacko:

#11 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostSherbniz, on 26 November 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

Oh man, sounds sort of awesome.

I actually did not think about an entire game mode based on this but that is brilliant! I would play the crap out of that game mode. A MOBA style mode in MWO would be immensely fun. Updated main post with your idea :D

Edited by Belkor, 26 November 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#12 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostVincent Lynch, on 26 November 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

you really want to drop the frame rate further with that? when I think about how many additional CPU cycles per frame this would require, I don't even want to know the answer.
I'd rather have some destroyable buildings, than any fluff which takes up resources but will not influence gameplay at all.

View PostPr8Dator, on 26 November 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

I agree with Vincent... the engine is heavy as it is and bogging it down with unnecessary stuffs further really achieves nothing.

I run MWO on an aging 2 year+ desktop and the only time I lagged was due to the 4 fps bug. I don't think adding tiny soldiers as background will be that taxing but of course this will be up to the developers. The game feels a bit empty and lacks scaling at the moment.

#13 DeadlyNerd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

I chose no cause it's not something this game needs badly right now. On the other hand, it WOULD add a use for the MG.

#14 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

In a year when they've got everything else fixed, they can add crap like this.

#15 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

View PostRagor, on 26 November 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

erm... the mechs in Battletech are only ~10m (+/- 3m) in height.
But this is just a detail... go ahead.

Spoiler

My bad, edited main post. I misjudged the size of mechs by comparing them to the buildings in River City. I assumed those were skyscrapers in River City.

Edited by Belkor, 27 November 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#16 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

View PostBelkor, on 27 November 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

My bad, edited main post. I misjudged the size of mechs by comparing them to the buildings in River City. I assumed those were skyscrapers in River City.

No worries, many proportions in the game are a bit off.

The streetlights in River City IMO are one of the things we are used to from real life which are fine in their dimensions.

#17 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

I posted a big detailed thread about this in the CB forums, but I think those are lost to time now. :P

I had a poll on it, and I think like 80% were interested in a mode with DOTA-style tank minions and base turrets.

#18 Brandeis

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Would stomping the soldiers be allowed?

#19 Darkblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Yeah to that!

And we could use vehicles too, and in that game mode where you can destroy them, they should also shoot back

I just wander if the engine can handle without massive loss of performance.(which reminds me that this suggestion is one of those that we can at best expect in game around 2015)

#20 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostVechs, on 28 November 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

I posted a big detailed thread about this in the CB forums, but I think those are lost to time now. :D

I had a poll on it, and I think like 80% were interested in a mode with DOTA-style tank minions and base turrets.

If I had seen that thread, I would have supported the idea for sure. This mode really sounds like fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users