Discuss: Cataphract Builds

42 replies to this topic

#1 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

I've been saving for a new Cataphract. So far it looks like a mech to be reckoned with although it does have its weaknesses. Any insight on what variant and build I should get would be great. I like the up in your face brawling style. I just wanted to ask what builds you have been successful with. I'm leaning towards the 4X because of those ballistic hard points. What is your favorite build, and variant, what do you use it for, and why?

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm not really leaning towards the 4X anymore mainly because it does not have the flexibility I want. I'm sure I will be ravaged by lights (I don't have the greatest aim). I will check it out when I have a better aim. Plus once the arms are gone you are in a heap of trouble.

Edited by Voridan Atreides, 26 November 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#2 OneManWar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'm actually having surprisingly good success with a 2X sporting an AC/20 and ER PPC with 16 DHS, endosteel and an AMS. My average damage is about 400 lately. I've gotten pretty good at hitting moving targets at long range with the PPC to soften em up or provide fire support, and when in close the AC/20 and no range limitation on the ER make me quite the killer. I prefer to go the non-standard route of builds for my own personal fun than the most OP build I can find.

#3 GoodOleBoy

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'm doing well with an UltraAC5 on each arm, 2xMLas in the chest and a SSRM2 in the head. Add in ammo to taste. Go forth and slay things. No other upgrades... I'll probably upgrade the engine and add in the endo skeleton so I can hold bigger lasers and/or bigger ACs... but the UltraAC5s are a blast now that the jam is bearable.

#4 Kell Commander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 537 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

I have been tearing it up in the 2x I built, however it is rather expensive to maintain. I gave an XL 300 engine so it goes 69.5 kph. Great if you like speed. I then upgraded to DHS and have 14 total. I kept the large and 2 medium laser, but dropped the SRM and installed 2 LRM 10's. I also upgraded to endo-steel so I could install the artemis system. I have 1 ton of ammo per launcher. Lastly I dropped the AC 10 for an Ultra AC 5 with 3 tons of ammo. I have cases for the ammo (which probably doesn't matter since I have the XL engine) and then increased armor to finish off the last half ton I had.

I use the LRMs to keep gauss mechs in cover and to soften up enemies. Once I am out of ammo I move in close and finish them with AC and lasers when it jams. You have to keep a close eye on your heat if you ac doesn't jam though.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

The 4X is the slowest, and many mechs wil lfind it easy to circle you or otherwise outmaneuver you in a brawl.

Think about your desired speed and desired weapons to decide which variants is right for you.

#6 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

My favourite weapons are the autocannons, which is why at first I jumped at the chance to get a 4X on the day of the patch. As I tried various builds with it, I couldn't find one that worked well for me, and sold it. I then saved up for a 1X, and have been playing with it for over a week now with 4 or 5 medium lasers, ac/10 with 3 ammo, 19 or 20 double heat sinks and a standard 280 engine. Since I've been playing MWO I've only enjoyed playing with Dragons, but the 1X is now my favourite mech of all! Just about to buy a 315 XL engine for it now to get my speed up and add a large pulse or more :)!

P.S. Beware of the 4x's low speed, one of the reasons I kept getting killed due to not being able to maneuver quick enough, even against other heavies: I'd highly recommend getting an XL engine for it if you can afford to.

If you're worried about lights getting you, get a phract with enough lasers to make you feel safe to kill one.

Edited by GizmoGecko, 26 November 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#7 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 26 November 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

The 4X is the slowest, and many mechs wil lfind it easy to circle you or otherwise outmaneuver you in a brawl.

Think about your desired speed and desired weapons to decide which variants is right for you.

Yeah. If I decide for the 4X, lights will be a big problem, unless I have a medium near by with streaks to help me out.

It seems the 4X does not have the flexibility (which is one thing I also want in a mech) that the other variants have. Any insight on that?

Edited by Voridan Atreides, 26 November 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#8 Truesight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Well, dont laugh, I currently run an 2X with AC/2, SSRM2, LRM15, 2x Med Laser, 1 ER PPC and AMS. Sounds crazy and is not an easy build because you have at least 5 weapon groups, but it is a lot of fun and effective at almost all ranges. XL300, 14 DHS and Endo steel rounds the mech up.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Although you cannot have the weapons in the same locations as the original Mechs. I build and used a Phract loaded like a Archer(there are a few LRM15 variants), Warhammer, Grasshopper, and even a Thunderbolt! All with some success. I love the 70 ton chassis!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 26 November 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

There is a forum section designed specifically for discussing particular Variant builds called the "BattleMech Guides" section. I know, it sounds a little like a training section, but it actually hosts a plethora of priceless prose about people's personal preferences and particular permutations.

You'll find many people looking to discuss builds, specifically, there.

#11 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 26 November 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

There is a forum section designed specifically for discussing particular Variant builds called the "BattleMech Guides" section. I know, it sounds a little like a training section, but it actually hosts a plethora of priceless prose about people's personal preferences and particular permutations.

You'll find many people looking to discuss builds, specifically, there.

Thanks. I will look into that.

View PostKell Commander, on 26 November 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

I have been tearing it up in the 2x I built, however it is rather expensive to maintain. I gave an XL 300 engine so it goes 69.5 kph. Great if you like speed. I then upgraded to DHS and have 14 total. I kept the large and 2 medium laser, but dropped the SRM and installed 2 LRM 10's. I also upgraded to endo-steel so I could install the artemis system. I have 1 ton of ammo per launcher. Lastly I dropped the AC 10 for an Ultra AC 5 with 3 tons of ammo. I have cases for the ammo (which probably doesn't matter since I have the XL engine) and then increased armor to finish off the last half ton I had.

I use the LRMs to keep gauss mechs in cover and to soften up enemies. Once I am out of ammo I move in close and finish them with AC and lasers when it jams. You have to keep a close eye on your heat if you ac doesn't jam though.

What is your total cost of repair/rearm?

#12 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

As Prosperity Park said there's a guide section for builds. Also check out http://www.mechspecs.com/forum.php for additional builds.

Here's what I'm running right now:

1X, 340XL engine, 3x Large Lasers in arms, AC2 w/ 1 ton of ammo, rest of the space in DHS (don't forget that 3 can go in the engine!)
This mech cooks along at 86kph w/ Speed Tweek and is very heat efficient. AC2 ammo is light but I only really use it for suppression - real damage is from the lasers.

3D, 280XL engine w/ 1 JJ, 4 Medium Lasers, 2x UAC5 w/ 6 tons of ammo, ES and DHS
Brutal shock and awe mech. Use the UAC5's at range lightly until the real fight starts. Then barrel down on some unsuspecting support mechs. Dual UAC5 and precision laser fire can tear an enemy apart in a hurry. It's hard not to walk away with at least one kill with this mech.

4X, 245 engine, 2x AC10 w/ 4 tons of ammo, 2x MPL, DHS and ES
It's only ok right now - once AC10's get buffed I expect this will be brutal.

#13 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

I've been running an admittedly strange 1X lately. Stock engine, Endo, DHS. AC20, drop 2 ML in the right arm and an LPL in the left. I tend toward 2-group builds unless I am using some sort of missle. ML and LPL share a very similar cooldown and beam duration. So I basically group them together. Gives me a 1-2 punch of 20pts each, which is not a ton but nothing to sneeze at either. With 4 tons of ammo and ~400 pts of armor it can run a little hot (1.2 ish I think on the heat scale?). Unless I make some Terribad mistake I seem to average in the 300-450 dmg territory.

Probably not for everyone. :)

Eventually I'll shell out for another XL engine. Considering a Gauss+LL build for the 1X, and might re-visit a very silly build I did with a hunchback that had 5LL. :D

Only have the two for now, but I'll probably grab the 3D over the 2X. Missle ropes from the 2X sound fun, but the hardpoints are a little odd.

Edited by Bagheera, 26 November 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#14 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

Huge fan of the 3D and 1X. Both work really well with maxed armor and a good mix of ACs and lasers. Best part is they're similar enough that you can run nearly the same builds on both - which can cut your costs considerably.

#15 Kell Commander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 537 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostVoridan Atreides, on 26 November 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

What is your total cost of repair/rearm?

I a match where I died $153,084. I generally only die if my team is bad (so about 50% of the time) and I consider it a bad game if I did less than 400 damage. I average 2-3 kills in this mech but always get at least an assist on every mech killed.

Edited by Kell Commander, 26 November 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#16 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostBagheera, on 26 November 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

Eventually I'll shell out for another XL engine. Considering a Gauss+LL build for the 1X, and might re-visit a very silly build I did with a hunchback that had 5LL. :)

This works, but you do need to ride the heat gauge carefully. It's why I usually just mount four, but boooooy did that 5x LL burn things I had a clean shot it.

View PostBanky, on 26 November 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Huge fan of the 3D and 1X. Both work really well with maxed armor and a good mix of ACs and lasers. Best part is they're similar enough that you can run nearly the same builds on both - which can cut your costs considerably.

Heck, I ran nearly identical ones- the only difference is one had JJ's and the other BAP.

#17 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Cataphract (CTF-4X)
Eng: 255 XL (59.0 KPH)
JJ: 0 (N/A)
HS: 10 DHS
Armor: 13.0t (416/434)
HD: 18 -- Ammo(AC5)
CT: 70/18 10xDHS(Eng),2xMd Laser
RT: 44/16 3xEng,7xEndo
LT: 44/16 3xEng,7xEndo
RA: 44 -- 2xAC5,Ammo(AC5)
LA: 44 -- 2xAC5,Ammo(AC5)
RL: 51 -- 2xAmmo(AC5)
LL: 51 -- 2xAmmo(AC5)
Weapons Systems:
4x AC5 (weapon group 1 chain fire, weapon group 2 group fire)
2x Md Laser (weapon group 3)

6.5t Engine
3.0t Gyro
3.0t Cockpit
0.0t Heat Sinks
3.5t Internal Structure
13.0t Armor (416/434)
34.0t Weapons
7.0t Ammo
70.0t

Cataphract (CTF-3D)
Eng: 325 XL (75.2 KPH)
JJ: 0 (0/4)
HS: 21 DHS
Armor: 13.0t (416/434)
HD: 18 --
CT: 70/18 13xDHS(Eng)
RT: 44/16 3xEng,Lg Laser,2xDHS
LT: 44/16 3xEng,Lg Laser,2xDHS
RA: 44 -- 2xLg Laser,2xDHS
LA: 44 -- 2xLg Laser,2xDHS
RL: 51 --
LL: 51 –
Weapons Systems:
4x Lg Laser (arms group 1, torso group 2)

12.0t Engine
4.0t Gyro
3.0t Cockpit
11.0t Heat Sinks
7.0t Internal Structure
13.0t Armor (416/434)
20.0t Weapons
70.0t

Cataphract (CTF-2X)
Eng: 300 XL (69.4 KPH)
JJ: 0 (0/4)
HS: 17 DHS
Armor: 12.5t (400/434)
HD: 18 -- Ammo(SSRM2)
CT: 70/18 12xDHS(Eng),2xAmmo(AC10)
RT: 44/16 3xEng,Lg Laser,AC10
LT: 44/16 3xEng,Lg Laser,2xDHS
RA: 44 -- DHS
LA: 44 -- 2xSSRM2,2xDHS
RL: 43 --
LL: 43 --
Weapons Systems:
1x AC10 (group 1)
2x Lg Laser (group 2)
2x SSRM2 (group 3)

9.5t Engine
3.0t Gyro
3.0t Cockpit
7.0t Heat Sinks
7.0t Internal Structure
12.5t Armor (400/434)
25.0t Weapons
3.0t Ammo
70.0t

Edited by Agent 0 Fortune, 26 November 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#18 Codejack

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

I run a 4X with 4xAC/2s; it's a long-range build. The zoom module is great.

#19 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'd be interested in hearing what others think of this build:

Chassis Name: Cataphract
Variant: CTF-1X
Unit Name: "Corsair"
Tonnage: 70.00

Engine: 280 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 43 kph
Maximum Speed: 65 kph

Internal Type: Endo Steel
Armor Type: Standard
Armor Total: 430 Armor Points
CASE: LT, RT

Heat Sinks: 12 Double Heat Sinks
Armament:
x2 PPCs (LT, RT)
x3 Medium Lasers (x1 LA, x2 RA)
x1AC/2 (RT) w/ x2 AC/2 ammunition (RT)
x1 AMS (LT) w/ x1 AMS ammunition (LT)
x1 Guardian ECM Suite** (CT)

Cost: ~6.9 Million C-Bills
Created in REMLAB

**GECM may be substituted for BAP

#20 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 26 November 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

I'd be interested in hearing what others think of this build:

Chassis Name: Cataphract
Variant: CTF-1X
Unit Name: "Corsair"
Tonnage: 70.00

Engine: 280 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 43 kph
Maximum Speed: 65 kph

Internal Type: Endo Steel
Armor Type: Standard
Armor Total: 430 Armor Points
CASE: LT, RT

Heat Sinks: 12 Double Heat Sinks
Armament:
x2 PPCs (LT, RT)
x3 Medium Lasers (x1 LA, x2 RA)
x1AC/2 (RT) w/ x2 AC/2 ammunition (RT)
x1 AMS (LT) w/ x1 AMS ammunition (LT)
x1 Guardian ECM Suite** (CT)

Cost: ~6.9 Million C-Bills
Created in REMLAB

**GECM may be substituted for BAP

Too heat inefficient. I'd drop the ECM/BAP and PPC's for Large Lasers. I've made a modified version that has 2 Large lasers in place of the PPC's and achieves almost a 30% heat efficiency which is manageable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users