Nova,some People Say That Is Useless But...

9 replies to this topic

#1 Tetule

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:06 AM

I have the Nova S with 4 small pulse lasers and 4 machineguns,i normally do between 1 and 3 kills in a match,however that loadout of the video confuses me,how is posible that small amount of heat generation when have that laser arsenal???? Dunno,but the guy does 6 kills on a match,on a medium mech. Its a serious thing.

#2 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostTetule, on 02 January 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

I have the Nova S with 4 small pulse lasers and 4 machineguns,i normally do between 1 and 3 kills in a match,however that loadout of the video confuses me,how is posible that small amount of heat generation when have that laser arsenal???? Dunno,but the guy does 6 kills on a match,on a medium mech. Its a serious thing.

Nova's used to be sub-optimal before the hitbox fix, now the build that guy is running (if he drops 1 laser) is considered tier 1. I've actually been running Nova's for a veeery long time before they got fixed, so I've had this conversation before, arguing how the Nova was viable when everyone else said it wasn't, buuuut now it isn't really debatable, it's a competitive mech.

If you're only running 4 sPL on that Nova your wasting that mechs potential, it can do so much more. Would you happen to be a new player? I've noticed that a lot of new players are VERY timid about firing large quantities of lasers simultaneously. It's actually quite effective to do so if you've built your mech properly. 6 cER Small Lasers are an especially powerful volley, and they aren't as hot as you're afraid they'll be. Mediums will cause quite a heat spike if fired together in a hextet, but smalls will be fine.

I have a build I recommend you try, 1x UAC/10, 6x cERSL. Equip the ballistic right arm, but don't put your UAC in it. Instead put your UAC/10 in your right side torso where your MGs used to be, and then equip the 6 laser hardpoint arm to your left arm, then put 6 ER small lasers inside. Set the armor in your head to 10 the armor in your CT to 50 (8 rear), the armor in your RT to 40 (4 rear), the armor in your LT to 44 (4 rear), the armor in your RA to 0, and then the armor in your legs and left arm to MAX. After you've done that you should be able to fit two more double heatsinks inside.

Here's the build in smurfy: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3731dbe722a03d8 (make sure to re-add the lower arm and hand actuators, smurfy removes those when you save a link for some reason.)

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 02 January 2016 - 09:35 AM.

#3 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:19 AM

You should use Jack's bild OP, its what I use also. You can use an LB-10x instead of a UAC/10 if you find yourself at point blank range a lot, the UAC/10 is better no doubt but it will run out of ammo knda fast. You can also do 6 er smalls (3 in each arm) and 2 medium pulses (one in each torso). I still think 12 er smalls is risky in case you accidentally fire them all at once.

#4 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

The Nova begins to reach its potential when it equips a full laser fist, for sure. You can also bring 2 Streak6, with the missile pods and either 1) 4cERML or 2) a TAG in a torso and 6cERSL on the other arm, if you want something funny with one arm of lasers. I think it's hilarious fun.

It reaches it's Next Level™ of potential when mounting 2 full (or nearly so) arms' worth of lasers. That's right, both arms, fists of fury.

Here's the deal: You absolutely can boat lasers like nobody's business. You absolutely cannot fire both arms' worth of lasers at the same time. Firing both arms' worth of lasers all at once will trigger such a huge ghost heat spike that it will destroy your mech from the overheating damage.

Watch some of The B33f's youtube videos to see how that generally plays out. :D You might get away with it with cERSLs, due to the amount of heat generated and the amount of DHS you're packing.

That said, many of the best, most public-queue-effective Nova builds (other than the 2cERPPC poptart build) use 2 laser fists.

Examples:
6cERML plus 6cERSL (my best grinder Nova, and fun)
12cERSL
12cERSL plus 4MGs
12cSPL (not a fan myself, but some love it)

Sillier builds include:
*8-12 cERML, depending on your comfort level (I find these hilariously fun)
*14 flamers
*12 flamers, 3AMS (really, flamers can also pull anti-missile duty when they're not roasting someone, and it's silly)
*The ultimate troll Nova, Trogdor 2.0: 12 flamers, 4MGs
*Variations abound on the above good/silly builds, including simply pulling one laser off of each arm.

They only work of you learn to volley fire right and left to manage heat, to peek and sneek using your JJs and low-ish (though wide!) profile, and to keep moving. That last one (moving) is both to find a new place to shoot from that RedTeam isn't looking at (don't want to stare anyway while waiting for your next shot and cooling off) and to keep busy while cooling off so you don't get antsy and tempted to shoot again too soon.

Use cERMLs from further out, cERSLs up close. Using the cERML fist in close is potentially a recipe for disaster in a brawl/knife fight, where you want to be putting out lots of damage with less heat. Overheating in front of somebody is a bad situation (not like you're unaware ;)), unless you can finish him without getting finished by her/his teammates.

All this stuff is down to experience, skill and practice. Bring moar layzors. It'll be fun, and you will absolutely learn how to manage heat (I certainly learned a lot). Don't let the heat efficiency in the mechlab scare you off.

Monster (seemingly insane) laserboat builds are a major reason to have the Nova in the first place. Be bold! :)

Edited by Virlutris, 04 January 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#5 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:29 AM

I fully agree with the aforementioned AC10 and 5 Small Pulse lasers kudos to that post. I find this build to be extremely effective in skirmish mode. I also find a happy ground on lase boats with 10 small pulse lasers, five in each hand. I pull down between 300-700 damage average (unless i derp of course) and 1-3 kills. I find I am most effective when staying behind the heavies and picking off flankers so the heavies can focus on more important targets. Sometimes I don't like to wait and will use the terrain and the mechs low profile and flank rush.

#6 spectrefang

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

12CERML Nova-Prime. The one, the only, the original. Just never fire all twelve at once or you will go Nova.

I actually drop 1 DHS to pick up a TC1. The extra range and faster lock times really help out, and the one DHS really doesn't do alot, specially now after the heat changes. I think you lose 3 max heat.

#7 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:48 PM

View PostTetule, on 02 January 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

ER smalls are VERY heat efficient, and 6 is the cap for heat scale on the clan medium and smaller lasers. You get a punch of 30 on a 2.25 second cooldown for 18 heat. You can basically toss out a 30 damage spike every second with alternating fire between the two laserfists.

Posted Image

Yeah, ER small laser boating Novas can be pretty mean.

NVA-PRIME Laserpunch
I mean, my Nova loadout is similar, though I sacrifice one ER small and two points of armor to get an extra heat sink and some marginally better DPS.

View Postspectrefang, on 05 January 2016 - 08:28 PM, said:

12CERML Nova-Prime. The one, the only, the original. Just never fire all twelve at once or you will go Nova.

I actually drop 1 DHS to pick up a TC1. The extra range and faster lock times really help out, and the one DHS really doesn't do alot, specially now after the heat changes. I think you lose 3 max heat.

Good lord. I discarded down to 8-10 ERmeds when I was using them. Stock Prime with even fewer heat sinks must run like an oven.

#8 spectrefang

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:14 PM

Once you have it mastered its not that bad, as long as you keep calm. If you panic, you will go nova. The damage output at under 400m is amazing. Even assault shy away from 84dmg to the CT.

#9 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

I like running a 6xERSL fist in the left hand, 4 machine guns, and a UAC-5 on the right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users