Re: Centurion, Is It Just Me Or...

136 replies to this topic

#1 Pharoah85

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

... are most mechs just filler BS to burn time and possibly money until you figure out what the good stuff is? I have 3 owned mechs so far in this order > Wang > CN9-AL > CN9-A. I got the other two so I could maximize the potential of my Wang.......................... ........... ...... ok I'm done. Anyway I bought the other two to get the Elite stuff etc. Even though I've learned how to make the centurion work for me I can't help but feel it is outclassed by other mechs in various ways.

Now I'm about to make a statement and before people flame me.. keep in mind I'm like 3 days or so into this mech thing so I know jack diddly sh*t about the table top or w/e else has existed. It's just one of those things that I always wanted to get into but never did. Now the statement is.. Jennar, HBK, Cataphract, Catapult, Atlas = the most powerful mechs and only certain variants of those mechs. Rest is bs. That is a broad statement that I need educating on for sure. But just for centurions alone I need some help understanding why they matter? Shoot off right arm, wang is useless. There's a left arm that does nothing.. on all variants, among other issues. Several other mechs make better use of speed, armor, lasers, ballistics, short range, med range, long range, missiles - doesn't matter. Whatever I try to do on a Cent variant there's at least a few mechs that are better at it. Two final things before I hopefully get some input. 1. the way I play all 3 of my cents is very very conservative unless my team is stomping and it works well, I just don't really want to be conservative and paranoid the whole match. 2. The heat management potential does seem really well and better than several other mechs I've looked up.. so that's a plus.

TLDR: I'm a Centurion variant, my speed is as slow as a heavy but I'm not as strong as one. If I build for damage I lack the armor to stand up to HBK/heavy/assault in a close and personal battle. If I build armor I lack the damage. I can't really stack/boat anything and my weapon variety is greatly limited due to slots and hardpoint locations combined with a useless limb. It just seems like other mechs are going "anything you can do I can do better" lalalaalaaa.... yea. What do? Matter of factiveness.. why do medium mechs even exist.. really.. ?

P.S. if the left arm is meant to hold Optimus Prime's axe at some point in the future all is forgiven.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

I have 22 mechs. The three cents are there strictly for how terrible they are.

#3 Pharoah85

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 27 November 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

I have 22 mechs. The three cents are there strictly for how terrible they are.

That doesn't make sense but I'm going to agree with you because you have almost 4k posts. :D But I guess you're just saying very bluntly "you aren't wrong, they blow"?

#4 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostPharoah85, on 27 November 2012 - 12:40 AM, said:

That doesn't make sense but I'm going to agree with you because you have almost 4k posts. :D But I guess you're just saying very bluntly "you aren't wrong, they blow"?

It has a giant fapping arm, a useless 'shield' arm, and is way too big for the tonnage.

#5 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

How can you have 22 mechs? o.O

#6 TehArgz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

I love the Centurion, well other than the AH, which was removed from the game. Don't own a YLW, it doesn't appeal to me. I've had varying degrees of success with them. Used properly they can be valuable assets to a team. Can other chassis do it better? Probably, in a lot of cases, yeah.

#7 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 27 November 2012 - 12:46 AM, said:

How can you have 22 mechs? o.O

1500 games.

#8 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

View PostVassago Rain, on 27 November 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

It has a giant fapping arm, a useless 'shield' arm, and is way too big for the tonnage.

Way too big for the tonnage is my only glaring issue with the Centurions. When you are as big as an Awesome yet weigh 30 tons less, there is an issue.

#9 Celesteel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I have to disagree with OP. I have 4 hunchies and love them to death, but with that being said, I just branched out from my wang and gotta say that I am learning to love the cent. The A and the AL are great (albeit heavily modified) light mech hunters. The A you can strap on 3 Streak srm2s an ac/5 ulra and 2 med pulse lasers. 2 alphas and the lights fall! Plus, at 84kph (92 with speed tweak) it can keep up with the raven, and keep close enough to the jenner, commando, and cicada. I always have at least one kill with my cent (usually 2-3) per match.

TL/DR: You are doing it wrong if you have no love for the cent.

Edited by Celesteel, 27 November 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#10 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

Nah I mean how can you own so much mechbays?
I heard you can have only 4 base + 4 if you are Founder and +10 which you can buy for MC so 10+4+4=18.

#11 TehArgz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 27 November 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

2 of it's most valuable assets. That's like 35 armor and 15 structure on either side to protect the valuable parts.
I agree it is a pretty large target for it's tonnage.

#12 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 27 November 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

Nah I mean how can you own so much mechbays?
I heard you can have only 4 base + 4 if you are Founder and +10 which you can buy for MC so 10+4+4=18.

$. As far as I know, there is no limit on mechbays if you keep paying.

#13 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

View PostKobold, on 27 November 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

$. As far as I know, there is no limit on mechbays if you keep paying.

Then its nice.I was woried i can buy only 10 additional mechbays.Thx for info.

#14 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

View PostTehArgz, on 27 November 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

2 of it's most valuable assets. That's like 35 armor and 15 structure on either side to protect the valuable parts.
I agree it is a pretty large target for it's tonnage.

I don't think you understand how normal people protect their valuable assets, but let me assure you, it has nothing to do with using parts of yourself as a shield, and if it did, there's nothing preventing a hunchback from doing the exact same, while holding guns in both arms.

#15 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Centurion is trash. Sorry pal, but I say it like it is. At least your YLW has a boost on it.

The issue though is that there isn't anything these can do that the Dragon or Cataphract, which are bigger Mechs, can do better. Role warfare is pretty much non-existent in this game so far so bigger usually means better. The bigger guys have more weight to throw around for armor and weapons. The slight speed boost to the lower choice isn't worth it. Half the other Mechs in this game, not just the Centurion, are trash as well.

Commando: Horribly useless Mech due to the max speed cap. It's basically an all-around inferior Jenner. There's literally no reason to use this thing except to handicap your team or troll. I personally chuckle everytime I see one of these drop instantly to an LRM or Streak barrage.

Raven: Not as bad as the Commando but still just an inferior Jenner. It can at least match weight for weapons/armor but has a harsher speed cap and jets on only 1 variant.(Jets on 100k+ speed=boss) Maybe this will be more useful if scouting ever serves a purpose and it gets some kind of exclusive sensor boosts... but currently it's just an inferior Jenner.

Hunchback/Centurion: Both of these are outclassed by the Dragon and now even more so by the new Cataphract. All 4 of these Mechs are basically brawlers, but the Cataphract is the toughest/best choice for it. The Dragon clocks in second and utterly stomps the Centurion. The Hunchback is tied for 3rd but at least has unique hardpoints.

Awesome: This is basically just an inferior Atlas. Like the Commando, there's no reason to use this thing and you handicap your team by driving it. The problem with this Mech that it's treated equally by the matchmaking as an Assault vs the Atlas, which it's all-around inferior to the Atlas. So if you take this you give your enemy team +1 Assault, which will most likely be an Atlas. In other words you shot yourself in the foot. You should have just taken the Atlas, then it would have given you an advantage vs the Awesome or an equal stand vs their Atlas. A gamble for "equal or better"(Atlas) is better than "worse or equal"(Awesome).

Why does this issue exist? Well because, aside from Assaults, the game values all weight classes equally. We need weight itself as a whole per team factored into matchmaking, not just Assault vs Assault. Since an Awesome for example is treated the same as an Atlas in this current MM, there's no reason to use it. Those 20 extra tons can get you a lot more weapons/armor/ammo and most of the speed with a higher engine as well. An Awesome with a 350 engine runs at 70.9. An Atlas with that is 56.7; not that big of a difference. What does make a big difference however is how much more punishment you can take before dying and how many more guns you can carry.

Edited by Bluten, 27 November 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#16 Pharoah85

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

View PostCelesteel, on 27 November 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

I have to disagree with OP. I have 4 hunchies and love them to death, but with that being said, I just branched out from my wang and gotta say that I am learning to love the cent. The A and the AL are great (albeit heavily modified) light mech hunters. The A you can strap on 3 Streak srm2s an ac/5 ulra and 2 med pulse lasers. 2 alphas and the lights fall! Plus, at 84kph (92 with speed tweak) it can keep up with the raven, and keep close enough to the jenner, commando, and cicada. I always have at least one kill with my cent (usually 2-3) per match.

TL/DR: You are doing it wrong if you have no love for the cent.

Which part are you disagreeing about? I was actually stating hunchies were good not bad. With the cent.. yea I can see if you dump some armor and beef the engine they'd make good light killers. That's actually the one thing I haven't tried is a fast Cent. Also, I do have love for the cent because, of the builds I've tried, I've figured out how to make them work for me. My main statement is not that they are useless but that other mechs can do the stuff better. Kinda how I feel about commando and raven, why are they even there? Lol. Jenner seems to be the beast of the lights.

#17 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

I feel the Centurion should be thinner.

#18 Pharoah85

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

View PostBluten, on 27 November 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

Centurion is trash. Sorry pal, but I say it like it is. At least your YLW has a boost on it though. The issue with these though is that there isn't anything they can do that the Dragon or Cataphract, which are bigger Mechs, can do better. Role warfare is pretty much non-existent in this game so far so bigger usually means better. The bigger guys have more weight to throw around for armor and weapons. The slight speed boost to the lower choice isn't worth it. Half the other Mechs in this game, not just the Centurion, are trash as well.

Commando: Horribly useless Mech due to the max speed cap. It's basically an all-around inferior Jenner. Those extra 10 tons can easily get you the speed with more armor and weapons.
Raven: Not as bad as the Commando but still just an inferior Jenner.
Hunchback/Centurion: Both of these are outclassed by the Dragon and now even more so by the new Cataphract. All 4 of these Mechs are basically brawlers, but the Cataphract is the toughest/best choice for it.
Awesome: This is basically just an inferior Atlas. Like the Commando, there's no reason to use this thing.

Why do this issue exist? Well because, aside from Assaults, the game values all weight classes equally. We need weight itself as a whole per team factored into matchmaking, not just Assault vs Assault. Since an Awesome for example is treated the same as an Atlas in this current MM, there's no reason to use it. Those 20 extra tons can get you a lot more weapons/armor/ammo and most of the speed with a higher engine as well. An Awesome with a 350 engine runs at 70.9. An Atlas with that is 56.7; not that big of a difference. What does make a big difference however is how much more punishment you can take before dying and how many more guns you can carry.

yea see it's those finer details I don't even know about. How MM works in reference to your post. In reference to something else, I don't get alpha strike. I realize there is a hotkey to fire all your stuff at once = alpha strike but does using the hotkey differ in any way from firing your weapons at once with a few separate key presses? I guess I'm asking is there any benefit to using the alpha strike hotkey such as a damage bonus or something I'm unaware of?

#19 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostPharoah85, on 27 November 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Which part are you disagreeing about? I was actually stating hunchies were good not bad. With the cent.. yea I can see if you dump some armor and beef the engine they'd make good light killers. That's actually the one thing I haven't tried is a fast Cent. Also, I do have love for the cent because, of the builds I've tried, I've figured out how to make them work for me. My main statement is not that they are useless but that other mechs can do the stuff better. Kinda how I feel about commando and raven, why are they even there? Lol. Jenner seems to be the beast of the lights.

Hunchbacks don't fare as badly as Centurions and offer unique hardpoints; unlike the Centurion which is basically just an inferior Dragon. Their main issue is actually the huge "shoot me here then you win" shoulder. It's a huge hitbox that is easy to shoot, and once it is gone you lose everything in it AND the right arm. My advice would be to put more focus on your left arm(because it doesn't drop when you lose RT, unlike the right arm) and absolutely take advantage of the head slot if you can spare 1 ton for a Medium Laser. The 4SP variant is almost a must if you're building 3. This yanks out the problem entirely for 1 of the 3 variants in your tree unlocking. You have to use 2 missiles but you can slot Streaks or SRM 6s.

#20 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

View PostPharoah85, on 27 November 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

yea see it's those finer details I don't even know about. How MM works in reference to your post. In reference to something else, I don't get alpha strike. I realize there is a hotkey to fire all your stuff at once = alpha strike but does using the hotkey differ in any way from firing your weapons at once with a few separate key presses? I guess I'm asking is there any benefit to using the alpha strike hotkey such as a damage bonus or something I'm unaware of?

Well they put that in a while ago. Basically, teams have even Assaults. If your team has 2, then so does theirs. If your team has 0, then so does theirs. They did this because there's no weight balance and rows of Assaults as 9/10 of every used Mech was the immediate problem. Games basically revolved around who had more Assaults on their team more than anything else. This change made Mechs below Assault actually viable since the enemy team will have -1 Assault for each -1 Assault you have. Sadly it doesn't fix the weight imbalances below Assault. Dragons for instance is still all-around better than Centurions.

To answer your second question; no, it does not. It just shoots them all at once in its own group. You don't need it unless you have a bunch of different groups that you want to be able to burst all at once with 1 click. But I only ever run with 2-3 fire keys so I can just hit them all without a fuss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users