Suicide / Afk Farmers: Fine Or Unacceptable?

63 replies to this topic

Poll: Suicide / AFK farmers: fine or unacceptable? (199 member(s) have cast votes)

As the title suggests: Suicide / AFK farming - your view.

1. Fine! Who cares? (15 votes [7.46%])

Percentage of vote: 7.46%

2. Unacceptable - this needs to be stopped (186 votes [92.54%])

Percentage of vote: 92.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Ptom

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

What justice demands: Let all players have a kick option that will nuke a kickvoted mech from orbit and give him -c bills for that match. The ejected passanger is then nuked a second time for good measure.

What really should happen: A complicated reward system based on time invested/performance.

#22 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

I agree with [color="#b27204"]8RoundsRapid[/color] on this one.

Until we get 8 man teams back you're just as likely to have an AFKer "playing" against you as with you. Until we get community warfare I don't really care.

#23 Jonas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHot Springs Ar.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

a target is a target, if someone enters a match then walks away form his keyboard then its on him. When I see an enemy Mech my goal is to take it out whole sale. My advice is if you cant play in the match then disconnect. I hate to disconnect myself but I have had to do it a few times. I would like to add that when I get the black screen I can't disconnect or do anything but sit there for 5 to 10 minutes and get plastered I accept this.

#24 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Easy fix: suspend someone's ability to enter a new match with any mech until the old match is resolved, regardless of situation. That way there's no advantage to suicide.

#25 Colonel Tie

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

C-Bill income based on

- Spotting and Spotting Assist
- Damage (till max 400 or 500)
- Kills
- Salvaging
- (Premium Bonus)

Win = income x 1,5 or 2
loss = income x 1

Afk and Suicide = full repair costs but no income ... problem solved

#26 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

quick question I have been disconnected a couple times myself, but stay on a game all the time when its going ,even if i die. and I have blown myself up accidentally from overheating..What exactly are the AFK and Suicide farmers doing that makes their actions worse.And doesn't all this get reset when Beta ends anyway? Besides them ruining the game for the rest of a team.

#27 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostGallowglas, on 28 November 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

Gallow,
I owe you a shot in the face :angry: Last night your catapult blew the face off my Catapract in caustic valley :P.

#28 Paul BlackJack Cady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLyran Sector, Planet: Canal, Primary Base HQ

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

So here's a question....

When they switched from closed beta to open beta all you founders said they "reset" everyone to zero right??

What happens when open beta switches to ?.....can't they just "reset to zero" again???

How in the world did the MWO source code get cracked in the first place? and why in the world would anyone write code that can be overwritten on their own servers??

Who had the access to to crack the code?

#29 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostPaul BlackJack Cady, on 28 November 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

What happens when open beta switches to ?.....can't they just "reset to zero" again???

How in the world did the MWO source code get cracked in the first place? and why in the world would anyone write code that can be overwritten on their own servers??

Who had the access to to crack the code?

I'm pretty sure you're just trolling, but just in case anyone unknowledgable decides to believe you, having a script is completely third party and external to the program and doesn't require anyone to look at the game's source code. It's just the functional equivalent of having a virtual slave hit keys and move your mouse for you.

#30 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostViper69, on 28 November 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

Gallow,
I owe you a shot in the face :angry: Last night your catapult blew the face off my Catapract in caustic valley :P.

Haha, yeah I have a strange fascination with going after cataphracts for some reason. I need help. :P

#31 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

banning/wiping is addressing the symptoms, not the disease

the only thing that will really stop suicide farming is to remove the pay for just showing up. pay for spotting, capping, kills, damage, etc etc, zero pay for just entering a match and then dying

no more suicides 5 min after this goes into effect

#32 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

:angry: its all good, I was rocking an atlas on your team pretty hard, until you and this pesky jenner came up and spoiled my fun!

#33 SynAck

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

It is difficult to do anything regarding afk players until they fix the crash-to-desktop bugs. Remember when this happens, there is no disconnect message.

#34 xenoglyph

• 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 28 November 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

I say IP bans for all those caught AFK/Script suiciding.

or at the very least, a FULL account wipe, including reducing their premium time to 0 if a founder/paid for additional time, and removal of all mechs in mechbay.

You want to suicide grind... fine. Enjoy having NOTHING.

tbh I think that would actually make things worse. I'm farming a bit right now, it's the most efficient way to make some cash. If they wipe my account it just means I have to start out fresh and do that much more farming.

Obviously the intelligent thing to do would be to just spend 5 minutes fixing the problem and stop giving out rewards for overheating.

As long as all the matches are filled with AFKers and farmers I'll do the same. If you can't beat em join em.

#35 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

If you do not mind I am going to yoink this!!

View PostColonel Tie, on 28 November 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Win = income x 1,5 or 2
loss = income x 1

#36 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

i see it as a developer / system issue rather than a player one. It is up to the developer to modify player behaviour to be less harmful and more productive. If the devs are too busy doing something else then in the long run that is their own downfall.

#37 H Minus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 28 November 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Haha, yeah I have a strange fascination with going after cataphracts for some reason. I need help. :P

You should hear him in chat, he sounds like homer simpson seeing a donut when he spots a cataphract...He gets all depressed if someone else gets a cataphract kill heh

#38 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

there are a fair number of game bugs that are causing connection issues... ctds, 4fps bug, black screen etc... so not everyone that disconnects or can't function in the game is a cbill farmer.

but these folks that are suiciding, and cbill farming with actionscripts (and you know who they are because we have seen them on a number of occasions) these are the folks that do it... then advertise in game chat that they just did it and basically gives a big FU to everyone else in the game

they need to be banned or whatever action PGI deems required. and it should happen immediately

#39 DogmeatX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

RECONNECT button would go a long way towards this, plus give additional feature which is nice if you crash out. Couple it with an AFK timeout and some code to detect botlike behaviour.

- Person crashes? Reconnect button lets that driver get back in their mech (with whatever new damage it took while driver was disconnected)

- Person afk and not disconnected? After set time period, remove mech from match, only give whatever he earned up to that point (no end of match stuff)

Simples!

#40 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostBlane, on 28 November 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

quick question I have been disconnected a couple times myself, but stay on a game all the time when its going ,even if i die. and I have blown myself up accidentally from overheating..What exactly are the AFK and Suicide farmers doing that makes their actions worse.And doesn't all this get reset when Beta ends anyway? Besides them ruining the game for the rest of a team.

The AFKers and suiciders are not even trying to play the game. For some reason they are just trying to earn c-bills without doing anything. SOme of them are quite well known, and even if they decide to actually make a real mech and play their reputation is ruined and they will most likely get TKd as soon as the match starts.

If you have a random crash, or overheat and blow up in the heat of battle it is not a problem. Crashes happen, and you will learn how to manage your heat better, but sometimes you really need to push it and you blow up anyway. I have never seen people get mad at someone blowing up from overheat 10 minutes into the match while they are fighting another mech. They might tell you to change your build or learn to manage your heat better, but they will not be calling you a suicider.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users