Ecm - A Victory For Chicken Legs Everywhere!

66 replies to this topic

Poll: Raven and ECM (135 member(s) have cast votes)

Now that the RVN-3L is, as of now, the only 35 ton mech that can mount ECM do you think it will be considered a "Viable Competitive Chassis"

1. Yes (94 votes [69.63%])

Percentage of vote: 69.63%

2. No (14 votes [10.37%])

Percentage of vote: 10.37%

3. Maybe (27 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Agent of Change

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

In light of this recent note from the devs:

http://mwomercs.com/...64#entry1507364

A wise and noble choice further showing that PGI will listen to us when we speak (at least in some cases). It begs the question:

Does this make the Raven or at least the 3L variant a viable light mech in the eyes of "competitive" players.

I would have piloted it regardless but i'm now curious what the meta thinks?

(i only put competitive in quotes as i am referring to a distinct segment of the population not in any way to slight competitive play.)

EDIT: For wording

Full disclosure: I am a raven fan, I love the raven, I use the raven effectively, I think it's worth taking now. I am simply asking the question because it has been posed that it was a 'useless mech' to me when brought up in the past. I am simply wondering if the ECM makes a difference to that claim.

EDIT: disclosure so people stop laughably accusing me of the wrong bias and seem to think I'm someone advocating the concept of competitive play in MWO at current or trashing the pretty pretty bird mech. Call it a reading comprehension test.

Edited by Agent of Change, 28 November 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#2 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

It will diversify strategies beyond "spam Jenners in our light positions".

#3 Kousagi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Its already a viable mech, so your poll is kinda bias. Just wait for ECM to come out, and there will be crys of OP raven. As I already have a setup for a raven with ECM that does the same damage as a jenner, same speed, and same armor, just no jumpjets, which is a small price to pay for ECM.

Edited by Kousagi, 28 November 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#4 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Raven is still terrible, and having a piece of tat on it won't make it better. People will just pass on ECM if the raven's the only source for it.

#5 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Raven with ECM is better then any Jenner. ECM>jump jets.

#6 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 November 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

People will just pass on ECM if the raven's the only source for it.

Or they could just use the Cicada -3M.

#7 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Huh.

Did not see that (David Bradley's post in the linked thread from the OP) coming.

Nice work PGI, despite my being incredibly frustrated with technical issues at the moment, I am quite pleased at this change its implications for the direction of the game.

#8 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 28 November 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

This. Incoming threads and complaints to remove the ECM from the cicada in 3...

#9 Kryptic57

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Yay what a great victory for mech diversity!!! Also, who cares if the raven is "sub-optimal" vs a jenner, it brings something different to the table and that has value.

#10 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

View Posthammerreborn, on 28 November 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

This. Incoming threads and complaints to remove the ECM from the cicada in 3...

Doubtful. The Cicada isn't the dominating mech of its class like the Jenner is with its. Currently, mediums are pretty well balanced with each other (with some argument about the Centurion, perhaps, although that seems to have died down in the past few months). With lights, its pretty black and white, and with ECM for the Jenner it would have just been a slap in the face to the Raven, especially considering the Raven is supposed to be a dedicated electronics platform.

#11 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 28 November 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

Doubtful. The Cicada isn't the dominating mech of its class like the Jenner is with its. Currently, mediums are pretty well balanced with each other (with some argument about the Centurion, perhaps, although that seems to have died down in the past few months). With lights, its pretty black and white, and with ECM for the Jenner it would have just been a slap in the face to the Raven, especially considering the Raven is supposed to be a dedicated electronics platform.

Doesn't matter. Why take a Raven over a Cicada in a 8v8 premade (which supposedly won't be class-based matching). The thread talks about being competitive. The raven does nothing better (than a minor advantage in speed) that a Cicada can't do better.

#12 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 November 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Raven is still terrible, and having a piece of tat on it won't make it better. People will just pass on ECM if the raven's the only source for it.

HA Ha ha ha ha!

That is rich. A true shield against LRM and SSRM cats and people will just skip over it for a Light Striker? I wonder how many of those wise people will complain about how broken Streakcats and LRM boats are?

View Posthammerreborn, on 28 November 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Doesn't matter. Why take a Raven over a Cicada in a 8v8 premade (which supposedly won't be class-based matching). The thread talks about being competitive. The raven does nothing better (than a minor advantage in speed) that a Cicada can't do better.

Shall we expand that argument to silly levels? Except for speed the Cicada can't do anything better than an AS7-D-DC.

#13 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

It really comes down to how they implement 8 man premade matchmaking.

#14 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

If not the rat bird the Cicada is another viable fast guy for it!

#15 LionZoo

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

The Raven does have a smaller targeting profile. For users trying to use ECM to sneak, that might be pretty useful.

#16 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 28 November 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

It really comes down to how they implement 8 man premade matchmaking.

What would be hilarious is if they added in some sort of tonnage limit. Reverse a bit of the, "Why take an Awesome when you can get 20 tons more in an Atlas for the same slot?"

#17 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 28 November 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

A Cicada 3M with ECP, BAP, TAG, FF, ES, 11 DHS (all engine), Biggest engine you can stuff in it, Full Armor (less arms), & 3 MPL, will make a nice snack of the Raven.

#18 Glucose

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

I'm glad they listened to crowds and realized the Jenner receiving ECM was too much. Make some of those other lights worth taking.

#19 Squid von Torgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 819 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

I am so please that PGI have taken this decision. It really helps the humble raven, and avoids over buffing the already powerful Jenny.

Here you go Jenny pilots, for you

Edited by Squid von Torgar, 28 November 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#20 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostSquid von Torgar, on 28 November 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

I am so please that PGI have taken this decision. It really helps the humble raven, and avoids over buffing the already powerful Jenny.

Here you go Jenny pilots, for you

This should have had nothing to do with "over buffing the already powerful Jenny." . Only mechs that canonically get ECM, should have the option to use it.

Of the mechs and variants currently available, only the Raven fits that category.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users