[Poll] Ecm On All Mechs?

90 replies to this topic

Poll: ECM on all mechs (296 member(s) have cast votes)

Should ECM be available to all mechs?

1. Yes (44 votes [14.86%])

Percentage of vote: 14.86%

2. No (252 votes [85.14%])

Percentage of vote: 85.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Armorpiercer M82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

View PostShadowsword8, on 30 November 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

I'd be in favor of ECM on all mechs IF it's fitting requirement were really forcing a compromise between ECM or firepower/heat management. Something in the line of 8 tons and 8 slots.

8 tons on raven ?

#42 Deadoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

View PostKurayami, on 30 November 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

so balance issues is a "word of god" now. then tell me please why cent have 6 tubes launcher with 3 missile hardpoints while raven with the same 6 tubes launcher have 1 missile hardpoint without using "word of god".

making ecm mindlessly available to every mech variant will ruin gameplay and kill diversity. making it available to specific slightly gimped\adjusted variant of every chassis is OK imho.

Balance issues are not word of god, mech modification limitations on internals would be considering what we can do with them already.

On the sense of the raven and centurion, cents have 10 tube launchers which indicates a lrm system of the 10 class, what they default load with, missiles systems as far as i can tell fire in bursts depending on how many missile ports are available on your mech. You could mount 2 lrm5 and it would fire in a single barrage still, 3 makes them fire 2 barrages if i remember correctly though, so the missile loading systems are internal and use the available ports to fire out as many missiles as your chosen launchers will fire.

The same thing occurs with the awesome 9m if i remember correctly from seeing one, it fires it's missiles in groups of 2 which makes lrm systems woefully useless on it.

#43 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

Yes, because I believe in buffs not nerfs.

Spoiler

Edited by Asakara, 30 November 2012 - 02:00 AM.

#44 Reaperinc

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

No.

#45 LennStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

View PostDeadoon, on 29 November 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

Problem is by buffing these mechs with such a powerful EW suite which the only true hard counter to is itself you cause stagnation in mech choice.

Please point out one mech that you can't shoot at 800m with an PPC if it comes from the enemy base.
And please point one out that you can't shoot with an AC/20 at 100m.

#46 Deadoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

View PostLennStar, on 30 November 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

Please point out one mech that you can't shoot at 800m with an PPC if it comes from the enemy base.

The one that cannot see coming due to there are other things you are worrying about around 15 degrees away.

Also both of those are soft counters, as they work against anything.

#47 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

View PostDeadoon, on 29 November 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

Problem is by buffing these mechs with such a powerful EW suite which the only true hard counter to is itself you cause stagnation in mech choice.

The solution is to fix ECM not give it to everyone, because then it WILL be required to have on your mech or the enemy will have a significant advantage. ECM needs nerfs.

View PostLennStar, on 30 November 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

Point out one mech that you can shoot with LRMs or streaks when it is running ECM. Oh wait, you can't, unless you or a teammate has ECCM.

@whoever said AMS doesn't target streaks fast enough, try firing a single SSRM2 at someone with AMS. You'll be lucky if either of the missiles hit.

Edited by Fate 6, 30 November 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#48 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

for the game as it stands now, ECM shouldn't be available for every mech. 1 dedicated ECM boat per weight class, that's it

i don't think Artemis should be available for every mech either

#49 Aquilus

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

Voted no, but it should definitely be on more mechs/variants than currently have it, just like jumpjets.

#50 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Just a few mechs with ECM is plenty, there is already an unfair balance in the light class between the Jenner and the other lights. If ECM is available on all mechs, then to have any balance in the light mech class, all models of Commandos and Ravens should get jump jet access, the removal of engine caps and additional weapon hard points just to keep them viable. What we would end up with is that all mechs in a weight class (at least light) should/would be identical except for appearance....and what fun would that be? Having battlefield roles is what makes each mech fun in its own right. As to whether or not ECM is unbalanced, I don't think it is. It will not put an end to streak cats or LRM barrages, it will just be a new set of battlefield conditions to adapt to. Have spotters carry TAG, or carry one yourself, etc. While I hate getting in the "circle dance of death" with Jenners, or pounded into the ground with LRM or SSRM barrages, or even shredded by quad AC2 carrying Cataphracts I don't hate the mech designs for it either. As with anything else, it will probably take an adjustment or two to figure out what is and is not overdone. I don't use heavy or assault class mechs, so I would like to hear from some more of those pilots.

#51 anonymous175

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

No.

Space poors need to know their place.

#52 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

no...role warfare..nuffsaid...

#53 Sikosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLake Ozark, Mo

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

you should all read the history of the game, then understand ECM completely before commenting, its clear that many have no idea of the game, its intent or the canon which it is derived, instead it seems people are looking at this all from a "It all has to be fair" and everything must be balanced issue . . . STOP IT!

#54 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 29 November 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

You must be on some meds or sommin. ECM is made for certain mechs only as those mechs were build with ECM in mind. As such most light mechs can use it and a very few meds and even fewer heavier mechs then that can. Its because it is quite a powerful system and even more so when IFF jammers come in. Which again only a few mechs can use IFF and one that will really make people mad (IFF makes it so that enemy mech looks like a friendly until is comes within 300m of a true friendly).

Stalker-4F[b].
EVERY Mech Have IFF It's how we see the Green and Red Icons!

Also every Mech deserves to have ECCM to counter those Pesky ECM. But to get it you have to buy a ECM!!!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 02 December 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#55 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I voted no. The reason every mech shouldn't get ECM is the same reason that all mechs don't have JJs and all mechs can't mount all weapons. It encourages diverse builds.

If the power of ECM is the issue, then it's the ECM that will need to be changed rather than which mechs can carry it. Some people have mentioned that all mechs can mount an AMS - that's a better argument to deny AMS to some mechs instead of giving ECM to all of them.

Having different mechs with different capabilities makes a better game.

#56 CrayTrashfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationKalidasa

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Ecm on all mechs means no more streaks and no more lrms effectively taking missiles out of the game

#57 Pharoah85

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Allowing ECM on all mechs is just as dumb as how powerful they are. If every mech can have ECM, you can bet any team that even remotely sticks together will be covered by ECM active or counter or both. Limiting it to select mechs is the right idea. As far as it being OP.. yes.. yes it is. If I understand correctly then as it currently is ECM has a buff AND debuff mode (active) and a nullify mode (counter). It should not be able to buff friendlies and debuff enemies in the same mode. ECM should be set to buff or debuff mode with an entirely separate item that voids ECM. At the moment.. ecm does entirely too much on it's own.

Of course, correct me if anything I said was wrong.

#58 LethalKisses

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 38 posts
  • Locationdark side of the moon

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

hmmm wonder if this is a setup to heromech variants getting EW suites ?

#59 Harmatia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 434 posts
  • LocationRed Deer, AB

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

View PostBroceratops, on 29 November 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

too powerful to put on all mechs. its a support type item and should be only given to support type mechs. if everyone could carry it then you're not going down the path where we have roles, you're going down the path where everything is min/max regardless of chassis

That.

#60 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Since most people are for limited ECM, I suggest voting in my thread here: Link

Limit ECM for certain variants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users