F2P Issues vs Immersion

1 reply to this topic

#1 Aeolian

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, UK

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

It seems to me that using real world currency to purchase just about anything in this game other than paintjobs and such goes against one of the most enjoyable aspects of the Mechwarrior franchise - salvage.

Buying chasis and weapons on the open market was usually limited to common production models and faction specific models depending on who you're fighting for. To find the rare mechs, weapons and such salvage was often the only way.

To me, this game doesn't need an XP system at all. Slowly building up your inventory as a mercenary from your accumulative endeavors seems much more rewarding and gives you an ingame advantage that is earned and fair. Clearly a differing system is needed between mercenaries/bandits and house/periphery faction units in respect to mech and weapon acquisition, which I can see be organised along those lines - mercenaries and bandits having to salvage and steal their equipment with some basic (although occasionally rare) items/chasis being available on the common market and house units/the units of the larger peiphery factions having a combination of salvage, supply from the parent faction and buying on the free market.

This would incorporate an interesting dynamic for mercenaries, house units, bandits and such. House units would initially be considerably better equipped but their operation selection would be limited to those in the interest of the faction wheras mercenaries/pirates would be free to pursue whatever contracts/raiding they wanted.

I can't speak for everyone but I would be FAR more inclined to pay a subscription to keep this feature a part of the game.

Edited by Aeolian, 03 November 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#2 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

I feel confident that the dev are going to keep the game fair and real. Look at all they went through to get to this point. They have a gamers' heart.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users