• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Hi

Just sayin`
Seems a lot of people still don't know the benefit of a TAG targeting laser. Neater on a Jenner nor on a LRM Boat.

While i play, i rarely see a TAG sign on a target, sadly said, because it is so much help for a LRM/SSRM weapon, so please use the TAG weapon! Or, if you are a user of an LRM/SSRM weapon, please look for the TAG sign on an enemy!

So what i have to say about TAG Laser:
- use it always with light mechs = it benefits to the team (especial for the heavy LRM Carrier). After your initial scout sweep, try to keep a lock on an important enemy mech (e.g. closest to friendly base and slowest mech)
- as LRM/SSRM user: watch a target that is TAG´ed, prior to a target that is un-TAGed. Because YOUR lock is much longer fixed on the target and MORE rockets will hit the target.
If the target is TAG´ed properly, YOU! the LRM boat is the winner of the match!

I run all my Jenners with a TAG laser with ALWAYS-ON and i have took hours of strafe circling around mechs to just to target it with a TAG for the LRM boat in my team... sometimes futile...
Well, you loose 1 energy hardpoint for the TAG, but IMHO this is the essential purpose of a light mech -> Spot the enemy!

I personally use the TAG laser on my LRM boat, (because there are so few spotters in the PUG community and) because it gives the mech a much better "DPS ratio" on medium range targets. And i have a huge success with it...
If you keep your target and walk backwards you can rain your enemy with TAGed LRM to dead before he can reach you.

Its a benefit for the team, so please use the TAG laser!

mfg

#2 Gulinborsti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 185 posts
  • LocationVienna/Austria

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

I will definietly give it try, never took it into consideration when stuffing my scout with lots of usefull equipment.

Edited by Gulinborsti, 22 November 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#3 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

When the NARC and TAG were first introduced, I had my Raven equipped with them both, to help target high priority targets. (Atlas or LRM)

To my dismay, no one responded accordingly, so I have not used it since.

#4 MacAddict4Life

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

What exactly does a tag do? I threw one on my fast laser cicada because I couldn't afford the heat of another laser. But I don't know what it does.

Also what's this about always on?

#5 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

TAG highlights the targeted enemy mech for better targeting of your friendly mechs. It gives a little icon on that targeted mech so everyone can clearly see it's been 'marked' (Tagged).

TAG does no damage, but requires a constant 'fire' for it to keep track. It requires a line of sight.

NARC works almost the same way, but it is basically a rocket loaded with a beacon, you shoot the enemy mech with it (and hope you hit, as it is a dumbfire weapon) and it will keep the target marked even if it goes out of your line of sight for a few seconds.

#6 Garagano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

the TAG marks the target for better + faster aiming for LRM/SSRM weapon. The TAG marking does lasting for a couple of seconds and is significantly longer than the "normal" R-KEY marking.

#7 MacAddict4Life

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

So I have to hold my tag firing button?

#8 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

I have a TAG on my Cataphract but I use it for lag shooting to find where the enemy actually is without any heat or ammo cost. The benefit to LRM boats is secondary. :)

#9 Garagano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

View PostMacAddict4Life, on 22 November 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

So I have to hold my tag firing button?

no, you can set it to "autofire", so it is always activated. You can read how to do this in this thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1342463

summarized, you only need to change:
onRelease="1"
to ->
onRelease="0"

for the WG6

basically, this will prevent the weapongroup to stop firing. Select weapongroup6 for the TAG laser.
btw. I did the same for the Q key, so all team infos are permanent displayed without the need of key pressing.

If you see LRM flying from your side of the team, then try keep a lock on the enemy and TAG it, even under enemy fire. When the LRMs have worn down the armor, its easier for you to do the killshot and you can move on to the next enemy... so it benefits to you, too. :wub:

#10 Reaver225

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

I generally run a TAG where I can get away with it - on my lights, on my brawlers, on my LRM boats.

What TAG does:
>speeds up weapons lock
>decreases missile spread

This means more missiles will hit on target, and thus more damage will be done to the enemy.

This function is supposed to work for both LRMs and SSRMs, though SSRMs have low enough spread that it's hard to tell if it works or not.

#11 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

In some other game (I can't remember) you could bind a function to the shift (caps) key.
To toggle the function you hit the caps lock key.

It would be nice to have this feature in MWO.

#12 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

in premades, i use tag often when i am a mid/ shortrange attacker...
when in pugs, i use it in my LRM Mechs (often) to be very effective in direct fire on midrange...

#13 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

LRMs are going to be pointless even with TAG once they add the magic missile invisibility cloak (aka ECM) to the game.

#14 Garagano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

View PostKhobai, on 30 November 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:

LRMs are going to be pointless even with TAG once they add the magic missile invisibility cloak (aka ECM) to the game.

not right

We would also like to remind people that the ECM is not all powerful. The rock to its scissors is the TAG laser. If you use it to hit anyone cloaked by an ECM, you and your team will be able to target them.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1507364

#15 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

View PostKhobai, on 30 November 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:

Don't forget the scouts can make good use of their lagshield with ECM Counter mode, removes ECM 1/1.

Edited by Stingz, 30 November 2012 - 04:40 AM.

#16 charov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

I usually play my founder Cat with 2xLRM10, 2x LL and a TAG. Works very good (obv. you'll need some help against light harassers).

Edited by red devil2, 30 November 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#17 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

We would also like to remind people that the ECM is not all powerful. The rock to its scissors is the TAG laser. If you use it to hit anyone cloaked by an ECM, you and your team will be able to target them.

Uh Do you know how difficult it is to hold a tag on target for the entire lock-time plus flight time of the missiles? Youre talking 10-12 seconds of continually tagging, while being shot at by the enemy team, and staying 180m away from any enemy mechs that have ECM. Its simply not going to happen. LRMs will be USELESS if ECM is not changed. That is a fact.

Don't forget the scouts can make good use of their lagshield with ECM Counter mode, removes ECM 1/1.

Um all you have to do is have two mechs with ECM near eachother, and then a single scout cant counter your ECM ever. We already have plans for pugstomping with a 4-man drop with two D-DCs and two Cicadas/Ravens all with ECM. Because ECM is so good theres no reason not to use a mech with ECM. It effectively makes you invulnerable to missiles, hence why its nickname is the magic missile invisibility cloak.

This isnt even conjecture, the details of what ECM does are in the command chair section of the forum, we know EXACTLY what effects it will have. And the reality is lock-on missiles will be rendered obsolete and the game will essentially devolve into a <200m medieval brawl.

That said I dont really care that ECM is a gamechanger, the problem is that it only weighs 1.5 tons, and has absolutely no drawback or downside to using it. Which is probably a good indication that its not balanced...

Edited by Khobai, 30 November 2012 - 07:33 AM.

#18 Mu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

I never really thought about it before but I'm gonna try replacing my AWS-9M's head ML with a TAG. I hardly ever use that thing anyways (primary weaponry is 3LL), and from what I understand it helps SSRMs in some way? I wish there was official information on what exactly TAG even does. I mean, the wiki says it tightens regular SRM groupings as well...that makes no sense and sounds like BS.

#19 Areleh

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostKhobai, on 30 November 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

Uh Do you know how difficult it is to hold a tag on target for the entire lock-time plus flight time of the missiles? Youre talking 10-12 seconds of continually tagging, while being shot at by the enemy team, and staying 180m away from any enemy mechs that have ECM. Its simply not going to happen. LRMs will be USELESS if ECM is not changed. That is a fact.

Except if you're part of a team that coordinates, you can have people fire the missiles, and while they're in the air, TAG the target. TAG it once to flag the LRMs to hit it, then TAG it again right before the missiles come in to give them that accuracy buff.

Also, there is a sweet spot where you can still hit ECM mechs with missiles. Just remember that.

#20 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

would be nice if tag was considered neutral equipment (think AMS, BAP) rather than an energy weapon. I've got a feeling it would see more prolific use outside of premades if people generally didn't have to ditch a headlaser (or any dps really) for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users