[Newb]Hitreg, Hitbox, Highping

11 replies to this topic

#1 Zoddom

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi,
first of all this is my first Mechwarrior game (although I always wanted one when I was young) and I play it for 3 weeks now. I own a Jenner D with 2x SRM4 and a Catapult K2 with 2 PPCs.
My problem is dealing damage and achieving hits. I live in Germany and my ping is always >100ms. With my Jenner D, I rarely deal less than 300 dmg per round, even though my SRMs often (seem to) miss their target due to my high speed and my high ping. Sometimes I can see the missiles missing the target but my HUD shows me a hit. Then, on the other hand, when i play the K2 I rarerly miss the target, mostly because Im sniping from behind the front. But sometimes I see my PPCs impact but dont get a red crosshair and the target doesnt get any dmg either. Sometimes the PPCs miss the target and I get a hitreg (mostly when the shots went "behind" the target, p.e. if its moving from left to right and my shot passes the target to the left).
Well so far, this all seems quite normal for me, as a high ping results in a delayed hitbox. But I still dont understand why I not being able to deal more than 250 dmg in a round with my K2, disregarded my sniper gameplay and hitting most of the time. Additionally, I feel like dying with 5 shots of every weapon, included enemy PPCs which seem to be far stronger than my own (?) ...

tl;dr: Me dealing less dmg with PPCs than with SRMs even with highping. Dying faster than being able to kill one.

So my question is, how does the highping affect hitreg/hitboxes ingame? Do I have a disadvantage (well, I can feel it) because I have highping? Or is the whole netcode, hitreg etc jsut ****** up for everyone?

Thank you

Edited by Zoddom, 04 December 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#2 Zoddom

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

bump

#3 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Gentlemen, your problem has a name and a solution :
The problem is lag, as correctly stated by OP.
The solution : lead more = lagshoot.

Needs some training, but works fapping well.

#4 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Atm the hitboxes are affected by the lag, so as mentioned before you have to lagshoot ie lead the target, aim in front of him.
The higher it's speed the more you have to lead on the target.
This means that on a target moving at 80km/h you may have to aim for the side torso to hit the center torso, on a smaller mech however you may need to aim well before the mech to actually hit him (which is why aiming low to hit their legs is a good idea if you mount lasers).

#5 Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSt Catharines, Ontario.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

I remember this one time (not at bandcamp btw) but i fired at a Jenner approx 50m ahead of him and killed him.

#6 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Equip some medium lasers and when fighting a light (where the netcode has the hardest time) use the lasers and the hit indicator to find the sweet spot for lights, it's usually the same match in match out. Once you've got a rough idea what your lead time needs to be then swap back to PPCs

#7 Zoddom

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Okay thank you guys, somehow I had the feeling that the hitboxes were behind the models. as I said, some times my shoot passes the target behind the model and I get a hitdetection.

Does someone know when the first european servers will start? Or if its really a netcode problem when will it be fixed?

sincerely

#8 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostZoddom, on 06 December 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Okay thank you guys, somehow I had the feeling that the hitboxes were behind the models. as I said, some times my shoot passes the target behind the model and I get a hitdetection.

Does someone know when the first european servers will start? Or if its really a netcode problem when will it be fixed?

sincerely

They're hoping for mid january at the latest on the netcode

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Short answer: PPCs are hard, and seem to be the weapon afflicted the worst by high ping users.

hit registration is a complex issue, and one they have been struggling with for months. I reccomend you try some Large Lasers instead, a they are much more ping-friendly (no travel time, longer duration so you can 'paint' a target instead of pin-point, etc)

#10 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

For now you might want to swap out those PPCs for some large lasers (or ER large lasers for the range) It will help you learn where to aim, and they will be a little more forgiving with aiming.

#11 Zoddom

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Okay, tanks for your help guys!
This is truely the politest community I've ever seen!

See you ingame

#12 Suicidal Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

I agree with the laser suggestions. I too have ~160ms pings. LRM's, Streaks and lasers for me. ballistics are unusable for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users